PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Lawn Boy 21"

AltaLawnCare
08-03-2001, 04:42 PM
I've found a used LB 21 Self propelled w' aluminum deck. My concern is that it's 4 hp, and I'm afraid it won't have enough power.
:confused:
I did a search and read a good thread on 21's -..
MOW ED posted that he has one - If mow ed or anyone has any opinions on the 4 hp units let me know. I'm gonna try to go look at it late this evening or tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.

AltaLawnCare
08-03-2001, 05:14 PM
I just re-searched the forum and found my answer at the end of the posts. Everyone speaks very well of the 4 hp toros. I don't know yet if it's the robin or suzuki engine.
Just for everyone's info:
I searched 21 and got nuthin'...
I then searched *21* and got all the answers. :)

jcoat
08-03-2001, 05:33 PM
I don't know about the B&S, Suzuki, Kaw, Kohler or Honda engines, but the Robins that come on Snapper 21"s will last a longtime. I have a 4HP on my old Snapper ('88 Model) and it's been like a kitten... I'm pretty sure in saying the newest Snappers have the 6HP Robins and they'll probably be a dependable engine... as far as the Lawn Boys? Well, I'm not too familiar with them, but good luck.

Cleve
08-03-2001, 06:01 PM
You did say LawnBoy I believe?
If so and the mower is in good shape with a good running engine and the price is right, buy it.
I have two of these that were made around 1978 or so. They are about the best push mower you will find. Super lightweight and easy to crank. Never had any grass that would bog them down. Mine have the 2-cycle engines.
Cleve.

TLS
08-03-2001, 07:08 PM
Billy,

The LB engines are tough. Yes 4hp is enough. My old one was 4hp and my new one is 6.5, the new one is just a little more powerful. Is it a commercial model? They have the big 1+ gal tanks on the back. They also have the steel wheels with grease fittings. You may have to clean the muffler free of carbon and turn up the RPM's a bit. My Dad still uses my old '86 and my '98 is still OK.

Good Luck

gusbuster
08-03-2001, 07:42 PM
If it is a LawnBoy, check the spindle for excessive play. Try moving it up and down and side to side. More than a 1/4" play in either direction, don't buy it. The engine is on it's last legs or the spindle been banged pretty good. Watch for that.
John

vipermanz
08-03-2001, 09:19 PM
yea, ilove my one gallon tank!:cool:

AltaLawnCare
08-03-2001, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I went to look at it, and it was old but in great shape. The guy was super nice (and was a big LB fan, he was like an encyclopedia on the company!)
It wasn't the commercial model, I don't think it will be too hard to rig up a larger fuel tank on it. He actually turned it over and let me check the shaft before I could ask. I fired it up and tried it on some deep grass at the edge of the yard. I made one pass, shut it off, and counter offered him, he accepted and threw in a little can of Lb oil.:)
I only have two properties I need it on, ( one of which I just got today - Scheduled to mow tomorrow)
I parked it in the corner of the trailer, ready to go!

MOW ED
08-04-2001, 09:09 AM
Sorry I didn't get to answer sooner but I was up running rescue calls all last night.
The LB is a great unit for me. My only problem was the solenoid and it was 80 bucks installed. My recommendation is to slean the exhaust ports, change the plug, dump the existing gas and run Amsoil 100:1 synthetic mix. Lots of power, no clogging and no smoke.

AltaLawnCare
08-04-2001, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Mow Ed..
funny you should bring up Amsoil, I'm getting ready to change over to it in all my equipment (Truck Too). I've got two accounts to mow today I will have to use it on, so I will see how it does.:)