PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

BobCat#1
04-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey guys just wondering,i want to maybe do some lawns part time since i have a full time job.Maybe 10 yards,would i need insurance or a licence to do this?Thanks alot

CutsForLess
04-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I think that depends on where you are located, my accountant told me I dont need anything but my social security number so that is all I use for now. I also have a full time job but get off 14 days a month to mow so I keep a lot of yards and also just landed a nice commercial property, so during the mowing season I work 12 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week, but my wife gets to stay home with my babies so I dont mind the extra work for that. Be carefull not to get to big because it can be real headache scheduling around your primary job when you loaded to the gills. It is very rewarding though.

ROCKKER
04-22-2007, 03:46 AM
Do you have enough money set aside to replace a broken window? Do you have enough money set aside to settle the bills if a kid playing in the street next to where you are mowing gets pegged by a rock and seriously or fataly hurt....?

Are you willing to risk it? Insurance = $300 yr

The above = $100 , $100,000 ??? , $1,000,000 ??? God only knows......

Just my take on things... Best of luck to ya...

supercuts
04-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Do you have enough money set aside to replace a broken window? Do you have enough money set aside to settle the bills if a kid playing in the street next to where you are mowing gets pegged by a rock and seriously or fataly hurt....?

yep, said that right, what is your financial freedom worth??

bohiaa
04-22-2007, 09:16 AM
it's hard to do 2 jobs at once.....

good luck

TGM
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
i work for a lanscaper and do the same on the side without the owner knowing (i would never steal or "hurt" his accounts) until i get on my own 100%. it's not easy at all, but possible.

and yes, get a business license and insurance. a dba can be $10, $50, etc. depending on your state. some places you register at the local town hall, some you register at the state.

CutsForLess
04-22-2007, 11:16 PM
To me the worst part of trying to mow and work another job is the scheduling, seems like something always comes up to throw a kink in it. The work part isnt that bad its just trying to keep everybody happy all the time, which I guess is hard on anything.

fiveoboy01
04-23-2007, 12:28 AM
it's hard to do 2 jobs at once.....

good luck

truer words have never been spoken!

SDNCLAWNCARE
04-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I know the feeling... I work 12 hr rotating shifts and get 14 days off a month in a 28 day cycle. So during the week I try to do the other jobs. But stuff happens every week. But I love owning my own business.

BobCat#1
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
If i'm just going to try 10 yards a week,how much insurance should i get and what does your insurance costing you a year?Thanks

vtcode3
04-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Enough to cover your ass

vtcode3
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :walking: :walking: :walking: :cry: :cry: :dizzy: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :nono: :nono: :nono: :dancing: :dancing: :drinkup: :drinkup: :waving: :waving: :cool2: :cool2: :) :) :) *trucewhiteflag* *trucewhiteflag* :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: ;) ;) :canadaflag: :canadaflag: :canadaflag: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused: *trucewhiteflag* Enough to cover your ass

BobCat#1
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
a serioues answer!

vtcode3
04-23-2007, 06:04 PM
OH :) i would say try and search for insurance company's in your area and see what they have to offer. an angent sould also be able to help in that area.

BobCat#1
04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I know this has been asked before but what do most of you guys charge?Per acre?I plan on doing only residential and like i said before i'm only planning on doing 10 to 15 at most.Thanks for your help!

BobCat#1
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Since i dont plan on mowing alot of yards would there be any need in a commercial brand zero turn?

zz4guy
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Since i dont plan on mowing alot of yards would there be any need in a commercial brand zero turn?

Some might disagree, but I say NO. At least not a riding one.

I just started this year and ended up selling my 48" ZTR rider because I couldnt land enough accounts to justify it. Now I just use a 36" Better Mower walk behind, which is actually a hydro mower.

DPAT
04-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I Am Just Starting My Own Lawn Service. Do Any Of Yall Have Any Tips For Me.
Thanks
David

vtcode3
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I Am Just Starting My Own Lawn Service. Do Any Of Yall Have Any Tips For Me.
Thanks
David

My advice to you would be to start your own thread. This one was started by me for questions i had. You can please start your own thread. Thanks. :hammerhead:

Michael J. Donovan
04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
My advice to you would be to start your own thread. This one was started by me for questions i had. You can please start your own thread. Thanks. :hammerhead:

actually, the thread was started by LowGap Cub and DPAT just had a simple question :hammerhead:

You are correct - he could have started his own thread, but he didn't and there was no need to chastise him for it...thanks

vtcode3
04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
You are right. I had read the thread wrong and thought he had posted it on mine so for that i am sorry. but you know i started a thread when i first joined this site with the same question, and i recieved comments like, " you need to learn how to construct a sentance first, What do we need to hold your hand search the site before asking questions like this" and so on. So dont ***** to me about chastising someone. Ok.

Michael J. Donovan
04-24-2007, 05:17 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I wasn't complaining about anything to you...just stating a point that there was no need to jump on him about asking a question...we can leave it at that. OK

jonim
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM

If you dont mind me asking, you are from NW Arkansas, Where do you get insurance at? You have $300.00 Yr. Ours is way more than that! Maybe we need to switch companies!

lifetree
04-24-2007, 06:18 PM
The insurance carriers in my area had a minimum premium of about $ 450, that would buy about $ 500,000 of liability coverage and equipment replacement coverage of about $ 12,000 ... good luck.

zz4guy
04-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Mine is $300/yr.... but $450 on top of that for my vehicles! Thats where I get raped. Never had a claim and no tickets for 5+ yrs. Go figure.

I go with United Fire for my coverage here in IA.

Nathan Robinson
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
dont claim to be insured and you dont have to worry about it. Fertilizing and weed control is different. Insurance in the State Chemists eyes is a sign of financial responsibility which is mandatory. I would get licensed by the stae as a s corp, llc, inc...etc... for tax purposses. Its a good thing to do that early. Nathan

vtcode3
04-24-2007, 09:07 PM
dont claim to be insured and you dont have to worry about it. Fertilizing and weed control is different. Insurance in the State Chemists eyes is a sign of financial responsibility which is mandatory. I would get licensed by the stae as a s corp, llc, inc...etc... for tax purposses. Its a good thing to do that early. Nathan

I do not agree on that. I would not touch a clients lawn without insurance because of something happens it fall back on you and i hope your pockets are deep. :nono:

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 12:52 AM
dont claim to be insured and you dont have to worry about it.

I might get chastised by a mod for this...

You're an IDIOT.

Baywatch
04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Insurance is a no brainer being licensed depends on where you are located.

For me I have a lot nice things: Houses, Boats, vehicles, etc. I would hate for an accident to put me out of business and on the street. I am probably over insured but I know that someone trying to get something for nothin isn't gonna put me in the poor house. In my area the guys that don't have insurance are the guys that don't have anything worth taking in a law suit and all of the rest of us carry the insurance because we don't want to be taken to the cleaners.

Picture this you are mowing a commercial property, your mower sends a rock flying out into the roadway and it hits the windshield of a school bus, the bus driver jerks the wheel when the windshield busts and ends up running the bus into a telephone pole. An accident is an accident that is why they are called accidents, however I wouldn't want to be you standing there without insurance when the Ambulances start showing up to treat the injured children.

BobCat#1
04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
some local business to find out what they charge and no one would give me a answer.I made it out like i wanted my yard mowed,but they all said they would have to come and look at the property.How am i to find out what the going rate is?Thanks guys

zz4guy
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
some local business to find out what they charge and no one would give me a answer.I made it out like i wanted my yard mowed,but they all said they would have to come and look at the property.How am i to find out what the going rate is?Thanks guys

I just started this year like you. I'd say try $30 and see what you get. You may be high, you may be low. But at this point $30 is better than $0. As you get more experience you can experiment with higher rates. $30 is my minimum and I usually tack on a little when I get there unless it's a postage stamp lawn.

But right now you just need to get out there and get your feet wet. Dont worry about charging the exact right amount.

BobCat#1
04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
$30 buck regardless the size?What if it was a 5 acres or more,$30 bucks anyway?Thanks guys for your help,God Bless

BobCat#1
04-25-2007, 09:21 PM
What about when you fert and aerate in the spring and fall,how do ya charge for that?Thanks again God Bless

zz4guy
04-25-2007, 10:54 PM
5 ACRES? I thought you were doing residentials? Take your average city lot and I'd charge $30 for that. Anything a little more difficult or bigger and go up. Just get out and try. Lose some money and make some mistakes... its the only way to learn! :drinkup: