PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy

CustomKare
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Anybody know if it's too early for poison ivy (Midwest)?

CutsForLess
04-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Nope I am eat up with it right now, I have already been through 1 steroid pack and a steroid shot to get rid of this first bout. I normally get it every spring and summer and I hate it, I think it gets worse every time.

JKOOPERS
04-22-2007, 02:13 AM
i had it back in early march . my arms were covered shoulders to fingers. probably the worst i have ever had it.

Roger
04-22-2007, 06:23 AM
I don't think there is ever a time for "too early," or "too late" for poison ivy. Even without leaves, the toxins remain in the stems.

David C.
04-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't think there is ever a time for "too early," or "too late" for poison ivy. Even without leaves, the toxins remain in the stems.Right you are, Roger!!! I had "downed" a large Red Oak tree and was going to "skid" it to a clear area to saw the trunk for firewood. I was wrapping a chain around the butt of the tree to attach it to my tractor---and my arms came in contact with the Ivy vine that had grown up the trunk---

And thats still another danger of Poison Ivy and Poison Oak----if its somehow attached to the bark of firewood---and its burned---even the smoke it puts off can be toxic if someone allergic to it inhales it----of course, former President Clinton would say-----"I never inhaled it!!!"

haybaler
04-22-2007, 07:40 AM
you can get poison ivy any time of the year. I've had it in the middle of winter here in the northeast

jeffscap
04-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Anybody know if it's too early for poison ivy (Midwest)?

Anytime of year- Keep some TECNU on hand or find yourself some Jewel Weed.

chris638
04-23-2007, 08:51 PM
One product that I will swear by is Zanfel. I used to get it about 3-4 times a year and have to go to the doctor and be put on the steroids. This product is over the counter and actually works better than steroids. It actually draws the oil out of your skin. Within seconds of rinsing the itching completely goes away.

firefightergw
04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I get it every year too. I used to get the steroid packs but I have found a better way to get rid of it.

Wet a cloth with diesel or gasoline and wipe it on all the areas you have poision ivy. It cuts the oil. The oil is what people are allergic to. After you wipe it with the gas or diesel, make sure you hose the area off with water to get rid of the oil you just freed from the area. Otherwise, it will just spread. I have been doing this a couple of years, when I get it and it dries up in two days. Just did it yesterday for some poison ivy I got and it's already drying out.

P.S. I am not responsible for those that smoke or catch themselves on fire by doing this. Additionally, I am not responsible if you have an allergic reaction to anything you put on your person. I am also not responsible if the rag you use to do this catches on fire by any means.

Don Woods
04-24-2007, 03:39 PM
We're bringing on a new sponsor (tomorrow I hope) whom specializes in
Poison Ivy, Oak etc.. Button will appear in right hand column across from the mowing forum.

tallrick
04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Believe it or not, I actually let some of it grow over my gates where I lived. It never bothered me, and it kept the nosy zoning inspector from looking in my yard. I even stuffed the fence with peat moss and installed drip irrigation....LOVELY!

chris638
04-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Define ironic, a firefighter recommending the use of fuel to cure poison ivy. Sad to say I've tried that and bleach. Both times it got infected and now I have a pretty good scar from it.

JKOOPERS
04-25-2007, 01:51 AM
another good solution is to wash the affected area with Dawn. it cuts right through the oil and helps to keep it from spreading . then i just use caladryl clear to help ease the itching.