PDA

View Full Version : uhh, i think it broke

mike lane lawn care
04-22-2007, 12:16 AM
okay, so on my way home from work (sears) tonight, a coyote, or dog, or something runs out in front of me. I instinctively slam on the brakes and swerve, while the animal is just kinda slowly moving off the road. after coming to a complete stop, and making sure i didn't hit the dam thing, i take off again. but this time something is not right. the brakes are making this horrible sound when i slow down, and when i put it into gear, and hold my foot on the brake, it makes a rattling sound, but goes away when i apply throttle. it stops okay, but kinda studders to a halt when you reach 10 MPH. The truck is covered under a 30 day warranty, so i think i'm gonna call in late to work tomorrow,a nd go to the dealer cuz they're open on Sunday, and make them fix this right then and there. i'm no mechanic, but your vehicle's brakes should be able to quickly stop you with out causing any damage to the vehicle.

i'm posting a picture of the brakes, maybe someone can tell me a little more based on the picture. they look like this on both rear brakes, but the front seem to be fine.

Gravel Rat
04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Do you have any more pictures its hard to tell with that one. What vehical is this ?

I think you have a rust problem it might be time to go to a shop and have a total revamp on the brakes.

pclawncare
04-22-2007, 02:56 AM
If thats whats left on the rear? Looks like half a brake drum but ive never seen anything rusted like that brake drums are so think i cant imagine them rusting in half i cant really tell what it is almost looks like a rotor for disk brakes

mattfromNY
04-22-2007, 07:17 AM
If its a newer Chevy, its probably the ABS sensors in the rear calipers. They are known for going bad. The ABS is probably kicking on and off. I've had the sensors replaced on both of my trucks. If so, you may want to contact a Chevy dealer, as certain VIN # ranges are under recall for this problem. My '99was covered, but my '04 isnt yet. ?????????????????????????????

vntgrcr
04-22-2007, 07:20 AM
That is just your dust shield/ backing plate. It probably got bent in a little and is rubbing the rotor. It is really rotted though and you should think about having it replaced. If you took a flashlight and looked in there I bet you would find a piece bent and rubbing.

mrusk
04-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I never serve or slow down for animals. And this method has not failed me yet.

mike lane lawn care
04-22-2007, 08:59 AM
well, I called the dealer where i bought it, and they are gonna get it from the sears parking lot todya, and try and get it finished by the time they close.

Supertiger
04-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Mrust, but what if its 150lb deer or 1500lb cow.

Petr51488
04-22-2007, 08:29 PM
You don't do landscaping anymore?

mike lane lawn care
04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
You don't do landscaping anymore?
are you asking me? yea i do landscaping, and i work at sears, in the lawn and garden department, works well, cuz i actualy know what i'm talking about.

grandview (2006)
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
It's just the dust cover just pull it away so it doesn't rub on the rotor.

Petr51488
04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
are you asking me? yea i do landscaping, and i work at sears, in the lawn and garden department, works well, cuz i actualy know what i'm talking about.

Yea, but aren't you busy with lawns?

mike lane lawn care
04-22-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks for the responses guys, the dealer came and flatbed towed it out to their shop from the sears parking lot today, they didn't want to drive it until they were sure of what it was. One of the associates there got some perverse pleasure out of taking a picture of my new truck being driven off on the back of a wrecker. they had a few other things to fix that it was going in on tuesday for anyways, like a drivers side mirror and a check engine light. i guess they're also going to replace the entire braking system to make sure it's in good condition.

mike lane lawn care
04-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Yea, but aren't you busy with lawns?

yea, but i've got my schedule pretty well planned out. sears consumes saturdays and sundays, and one evening shift per week. so it works out well. i bring home roughly $500 every pay check after taxes, so it covers everything related to the truck, such as payemnts, insurrance, and maint. i do lawn work on mondays, tuesdays, and fridays, which is all that i need right now to keep me busy.

Jason Rose
04-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Holy god... Whit that much rust on that cover under there, what's the rest of the truck frame and body look like??? I have a 2000 GMC and it's still like new underneath, and I live in the salt capitol of the US (look it up) They use salt on the roads around here in insane amounts, yet Iv'e not seen rust like that! Granted you are a lot further north in snow country... That's why I'd NEVER buy a vehicle fron up north!

mike lane lawn care
04-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Holy god... Whit that much rust on that cover under there, what's the rest of the truck frame and body look like??? I have a 2000 GMC and it's still like new underneath, and I live in the salt capitol of the US (look it up) They use salt on the roads around here in insane amounts, yet Iv'e not seen rust like that! Granted you are a lot further north in snow country... That's why I'd NEVER buy a vehicle fron up north!

the rest of the truck is in perfect condition, no body rust, and the rest of the underbody is pretty clean, with little to no rust.

Budget
04-23-2007, 11:12 AM
WOW, how much do you make a hour at Sears part time? How many hours are you allowed to work as a student in your state? Do you get paid weekly or bi-weekly?

mike lane lawn care
04-23-2007, 07:48 PM
WOW, how much do you make a hour at Sears part time? How many hours are you allowed to work as a student in your state? Do you get paid weekly or bi-weekly?

my pay rate is commision based, so it varries between $13 and $17 an hour, not bad for a part time job. i only work like 18 hours a week, and get paid bi-weekly

Budget
04-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Good deal, As a young man i worked two jobs my self. Nice truck too, it should do you good. Just don't do to much off roading with it.

Eakern & Dog
04-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I never serve or slow down for animals. And this method has not failed me yet.

Gee, I hope your customer's never get in your way :)

Fatboy
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM

That's my thoughts exactly!!! There is no way that the rest of the truck isn't in advanced stages of major rot. Be very careful of the brake lines as they will fail when you need the brakes the most. It happened to a buddy's 2002 Dodge PU that he bought at an auction. I replaced the brake lines for him and was amazed at the major frame and driveline rust, the body was in good shape though. When we checked Car Fax the vehicle showed a Michigan registration for the first 3 years, go figure.
My next door neighbor had a Nissan PU that he bought in Buffalo, NY and one of his front brake calipers rusted completely off. Every week pieces would fall off the frame and the front stabilizer bar rusted in half. He had a noise every time he turned a left corner and that's when I found the stabilizer bar in pieces. This truck was a real hazard for a 2001 but it looked good.
When I buy vehicles I look at them from the bottom up, rust is a no-go in my book, I don't care what the price is.
I'm still driving a 1981 F-100 that has very little frame or driveline rust, the body is starting to rust in the usual places though.
My pet peeve is rust falling all over me while working under a vehicle.

Good Luck,
Fatboy

Chop Stuff Up
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
my chevy truck is 15 years old and has no rust like that. Even the common cab corner rust hasn't started yet. I must be a lucky guy?

mcwlandscaping
04-25-2007, 07:03 PM
my chevy truck is 15 years old and has no rust like that. Even the common cab corner rust hasn't started yet. I must be a lucky guy?
luck? no, you just take good care of your stuff!!! My truck is a 97 and it has NO body rust on it at all......and i plan to keep it that way! Some frame rust underneith but that has gotten no worse since i bought it as ive taken care of it.