PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

reb12
04-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Here's a different one, but one we all deal with. I'm thinking of trying out those goofy looking plastic shoes called "CROX" for my irrigation wear. They breath, are light and very comfortable, and drain. I would wear them w/o socks of course. Anyone use these? Or, are wet feet inevitable? They would dry out at least. Only cost about $29.00. What say you?

Rick
Thompson Irrigation, Marco Island, FL

DanaMac
04-22-2007, 09:33 AM
I have CROCS but won't wear them at work. Try some Keens instead, or maybe Salomon Amphibians. I use both, and they both dry fairly well. I have about 5 or 6 pairs of shoes that I rotate to help keep the funk down.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=165376&highlight=footwear
The above link has a pic of the KEENS, and more talk of what footwear is worn in irrigation. I personally need something easy to take off and put back on, as the shut off is usually inside of homes here, and also controllers.

Remote Pigtails
04-22-2007, 10:05 AM
in my 27 years I still haven't figured out the best shoes yet. My choice now are LL Beans. The kind with the rubber bottoms and leather tops. Slip on and slip off. my biggest problem is destroying the middle part of the sole on the left shoe on my shooter.

bobw
04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Worker's comp around here mandates steel toes. Wish I had a choice because I get tired of soggy socks.

PurpHaze
04-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Worker's comp around here mandates steel toes. Wish I had a choice because I get tired of soggy socks.

They make good quality leather boots with a breathable waterproof lining (such as Goretex). I wear Redwing boots such as these and my feet stay dry even under the muddiest conditions. Perhaps there's a boot manufacturer out there that makes these with steel toes?

bicmudpuppy
04-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I think Dana has the secret. More than one pair of shoes. Rotate them so they dry out. I switched to these.........
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat601932&id=0033532812403a&navCount=1&podId=0033532812403&parentId=cat601932&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601932
and I haven't regreted it. They aren't waterproof or even water resistent, but they will dry on your feet. I don't but probably should go back to steel toes, but.................

Cablea's also sells a boot drier that works wonders. I bought two pair (one of each color) when I bought the above link. If I get soaked, I put the wet pair on the drier. Also, as per the instructions on the drier, I rinse and dry the boots every so often.

Wet_Boots
04-22-2007, 04:17 PM
I have a lot of pairs of cheap knockoffs of those LL Bean 'hunting shoes' for the really-wet days of system openings, but I prefer multiple pairs of whatever cheap leather boots fit me. (usually K-Mart Texas Steer boots) - one side-benefit of the cheap boots is that some pairs have soles worn smooth, so I don't track any dirt indoors.

TeeBox
04-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I dont have a pair of these but they might work out for you.
http://www.lawngrips.com/default.html

JB926
04-22-2007, 05:31 PM
timberland steel toe hiking boots with a lower waterproof membrain. I have tried over 20 different boots and so far these keep my feet driest and are the most rugged. Plus when the sole breaks or splits send them back and timberland will give ya a new pair. Spend the money up front and you could actually get like 3 pairs of boots for the price of one

Wet_Boots
04-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Timberlands are great. They're my cold weather favorite.

bumper
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Since it's my own company and I only do residential....winter time I have an extra pair of boots and socks in the truck..recently gave up the redwings much to heavy and am now trying out HiTech and Timberland but those Lawn Grips look interesting.........summer time, flip flops and fishwork shorts.

Wet_Boots
04-22-2007, 09:34 PM
&*#@%$ Flip Flops?!! ;)

Remote Pigtails
04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Boots you are meant to be watching yanks- sox. He probably thought he could get that comment by you.

landscape guy
04-22-2007, 10:04 PM
:canadaflag: :usflag: workmans comp. would have a field day on anything but safety shoes ,they don't care about comfort.

Wet_Boots
04-22-2007, 10:16 PM
I did some winter-holidays sprinkler work for relatives in Socal, and was digging in the sand with my bare feet, wearing shorts and a teeshirt, while smiling at some voice over a fence cautioning someone to wear a sweater, on account of it was cold out there.

Remote Pigtails
04-22-2007, 10:37 PM
:canadaflag: :usflag: workmans comp. would have a field day on anything but safety shoes ,they don't care about comfort.

Did you know workmen's comp is not a requirement in TX?

bumper
04-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Same here, can waiver it.

Flip flops, only when testing and adjusting the system. Any other time I am wearing boots.

PurpHaze
04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Flip flops, only when testing and adjusting the system.

Watch out for doggie "land mines" then. :laugh:

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:36 PM
timberland steel toe hiking boots with a lower waterproof membrain. I have tried over 20 different boots and so far these keep my feet driest and are the most rugged. Plus when the sole breaks or splits send them back and timberland will give ya a new pair. Spend the money up front and you could actually get like 3 pairs of boots for the price of one

Im in total agreeance with this post...I love my timbs...

i just bought a pair last summer with the steel toe..no steel shank but thats the next pair...i love this brad, gave them a dosing water sealer....and no complaints..

if you use a 255 ditch witch i suggest you get a pair of stellies stat

irrig8r
07-03-2007, 02:18 AM
I know I'm bumping this thread... but I had to share a good find. Dunham (a division of New Balance) puts out a couple of shoes with the same name (Alcatraz... which means pelican in Spanish).

They're both amphibious shoes... made for water sports, kayaking, hiking through streams, etc. More protective than sandals. I'm planning on using them for head adjustments.

Probably last years and this years models... both on clearance at www.nbwebexpress.com. Go there and search for 'Alcatraz' or MOW523GR. over 80 bucks a pair when they first came out. Now 38.00. There's also the MOW513GR for 55.00.

And this website offers a good guarantee with free return shipping..

So, to be honest, I haven't actually tried this shoe yet. Mine are schdeuked to arrive next Monday. But this is the only water show I can find in a size 12 4E.. AND it's on clearance...

Hank Reardon
07-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I went with these Gortex units this summer. They are incredibly light so my knees thank me daily.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2007, 07:13 AM
I went with these Gortex units this summer. They are incredibly light so my knees thank me daily.

Thanks Hank. Did you find them at REI? My LL Beans are realy struggling. Bless their soles.

DanaMac
07-03-2007, 10:43 AM

My wife/girlfriend just bought those in the womens version (from REI) and loves them so far. Got them for camping/hiking this past weekend.

I'll take a pic sometime of my revolving work shoes. Sandals, sneakers, boots.

Hank Reardon
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks Hank. Did you find them at REI? My LL Beans are realy struggling. Bless their soles.

I bought them at the local feed store (get your chicken scratch, stall shavings, Columbia shirts, Merrell shoes, Carhartt's, latte, etc).

WalkGood
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
My wife/girlfriend just bought those in the womens version (from REI) and loves them so far. Got them for camping/hiking this past weekend.

I'll take a pic sometime of my revolving work shoes. Sandals, sneakers, boots.

You have them wear matching clothes? :dizzy:

Sorry couldn't resist, that sounded funny to me ==> wife/girlfriend.

DanaMac
07-03-2007, 11:31 AM
You have them wear matching clothes? :dizzy:

Sorry couldn't resist, that sounded funny to me ==> wife/girlfriend.

I know, I know. We haven't ACTUALLY gotten married. but been together for 17 years. Sometimes I call her my girlfriend, sometimes my wife. I'll make it official someday, marriage isn't a big deal to either of us.

Kiril
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
We haven't ACTUALLY gotten married. but been together for 17 years.

Same here. Been with mine for 10 years, no interest in the institution.

Mr.cactus
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
off topic time, i refuse to wear crocks, they are for old fat ladys

irrig8r
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM

In my experience with Gortex lined shoes, it keeps the water from seeping in, but the uppers (outside the Gortex layer) still soak up water and weigh them down...

The other problem of course is water that enters at the ankle, either from stepping in a deep puddle, or wicking from socks.

So my attitude about water in my shoes is, "if you can't beat it, join it."

So next week when my shoes arrive, I'll become one with the water...and let you all know if I find nirvana...:laugh:

These MOW523s have a neoprene scree collar that I'm hoping keep out the rocks and gravel too...

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2007, 06:23 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. this may be the most profound statement of the day.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2007, 07:20 PM
In my experience with Gortex lined shoes, it keeps the water from seeping in, but the uppers (outside the Gortex layer) still soak up water and weigh them down...

The other problem of course is water that enters at the ankle, either from stepping in a deep puddle, or wicking from socks.

So my attitude about water in my shoes is, "if you can't beat it, join it."

So next week when my shoes arrive, I'll become one with the water...and let you all know if I find nirvana...:laugh:

These MOW523s have a neoprene scree collar that I'm hoping keep out the rocks and gravel too...

You got me with the neoprene collar. Just ordered two pair. (habit I got into back in my 10k days) will give feedback in three months.

DanaMac
07-03-2007, 07:40 PM

They are SO comfortable! But I rarely go out in public with them on.

phototropic1
07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I've found these to be great during the winters (or whatever you call it) in Mississippi. We get lots of rain during that part of the year and my feet stay dry and toasty.

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1158861243

They're a little too warm in the summer for my taste, but overall a great shoe. VERY COMFORTABLE!!!

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I've found these to be great during the winters (or whatever you call it) in Mississippi. We get lots of rain during that part of the year and my feet stay dry and toasty.

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1158861243

They're a little too warm in the summer for my taste, but overall a great shoe. VERY COMFORTABLE!!!

Will you post that again as we get closer to winter? I'll buy those, can't now cuz I just blew the company shoe budget on Irri8er suggestion.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Well my new shoes came in. I'm not sure 50 year old men should be seen in these things. I tried them out last night walking the dog and a High School Cheerleader stopped and talked to me while walking her dog so I'm giving the new shoes credit for that.

reb12
07-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I've been wearing CROX and they are great. Comfortable, cool, and they dry fast so no wet socks and shoes. No good for digging though, so I carry another pair of shoes in the van for that.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM

You must have missed this post reb12. I giant KEYSTONE beer can will crush you if you wear crocks.

Wet_Boots
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Heaven forbid a sprinkler guy might actually have to dig! Always go for comfort.http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6213/bunnyslippers1wu5.gif

BPC
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I gave up on water proof boots a long time ago. Even wearing those my feel would get wet. I have thought about getting some of these though.
http://www.waterproofsocks.net/

DanaMac
07-10-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm with Fimco - get shoes that drain well when wet. I rarely wear socks with my work shoes/sandals. Most of what I own are designed for water and no socks. My boots are a different story though. And I only wear them in the spring and fall when very cold, or when I know there will be a lot of digging. Had to bust out the boots last week when we re-routed two zones due to tree roots.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
I gave up on water proof boots a long time ago. Even wearing those my feel would get wet. I have thought about getting some of these though.
http://www.waterproofsocks.net/

Rats why do you show me stuff like that. Now I'm going to order a pair. The review and pic will come soon. Hopefully they'll match my flora finder glasses.

BPC
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Well let me know how they work for you.

Mike Leary
07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Rats why do you show me stuff like that. Now I'm going to order a pair. The review and pic will come soon. Hopefully they'll match my flora finder glasses.

You'll need them when we drive you back into Puget Sound.:)

irrig8r
07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Well my new shoes came in. I'm not sure 50 year old men should be seen in these things. I tried them out last night walking the dog and a High School Cheerleader stopped and talked to me while walking her dog so I'm giving the new shoes credit for that.

Whoa. Those look exactly like mine. 'Cept my legs are maybe a little less hairy. I find they're a little snug in the instep. But being a little tight when dry I know I won't lose 'em in the water. BTW, the price just went down yesterday another five bucks per pair too.