PDA

View Full Version : 15 Kohler - Over heating

TWUllc
04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Friday - 65-70 degrees out.

Toro 52" WB w/ velke.

200-ish lbs Operator.

Ran it for about an hour and half straight.

Got a call and he said it was broke. Went to see it for myself. The oil was thinned so much it dripped off the dipstick like water. Very warm.

Its still clean from being stored all winter. New filters etc..

15 Kohler. Its got 105+/- hours on it. Any ideas?

Restrorob
04-22-2007, 12:16 PM
What Broke ?

TWUllc
04-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Nothing was broke.

By the time I got there, maybe 20 minutes had past. It had cooled down a bit. I put a dab of oil in, and it ran fine from there until the property was finished (ran for another 20 minutes). Drove it up the spare trailer I brought expecting to have a dead mower, and took it with me.

My thought, or un-educated conclusion:

Somehow, the engine is over heating itself, to the point where the oil is thinning bad enough that the engine kills itself, as it would when the oil level is VERY low.

Then again, I'm no mechanic. BTW, never had this problem last year.

Restrorob
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Pull the flywheel shroud off and check the cooling fins for debris , Something could have built a nest in there over winter.

TWUllc
04-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Did the same thing again today. Tore it down, had minimal, and I mean minimal dirt on some of the fins. All cleaned. Anything else I should try Restrorob? After 30-45 minutes of constant cutting, it starts to act funny. Almost like the heat from the muffler pipe is going straight to the fins. I'm ready to rip this engine off and buy a new one. :dizzy:

Restrorob
04-28-2007, 08:19 PM
It's not very common on a belt drive unit but I have seen the flywheel key partly shear throwing the ignition timing off a bit which would cause a hotter than normal running temp.

You are running 10W30 oil correct ?

khouse
04-28-2007, 11:50 PM
So your saying that the low oil shut off is killing the engine? If so then maybe it's the low pressure switch itself. Pull the dipstick on any mower that has been warmed up and the oil is very thin.

Bill Kapaun
04-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Any spindles etc. binding that could cause the engine to be working excessively hard?
Examine the oil before the first start of the day. Any gasoline smell or abnormal appearance?
Just throwing guesses here-

TWUllc
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
It's not very common on a belt drive unit but I have seen the flywheel key partly shear throwing the ignition timing off a bit which would cause a hotter than normal running temp.

You are running 10W30 oil correct ?

Yes, 10W30 oil. I darined the HOT oil on site yesterday, put fresh oil back in, and it ran fine until it heated up again.

TWUllc
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
So your saying that the low oil shut off is killing the engine? If so then maybe it's the low pressure switch itself. Pull the dipstick on any mower that has been warmed up and the oil is very thin.

Is it an actaul switch or fuse? Or is it something internal? BTW, when it kills itself, I pull the dipstick, and heat or steam comes out for a second or two.

TWUllc
04-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Any spindles etc. binding that could cause the engine to be working excessively hard?
Examine the oil before the first start of the day. Any gasoline smell or abnormal appearance?
Just throwing guesses here-

I thought about that at first, nothing abnormal unfortunetly.

topsites
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM
You need to be real careful with the next procedure, but I had a problem with my transmission overheating (same kind you got on a belt-drive toro, the tecumseh) and I couldn't figure it out...

Turns out one of my adjustment spindles had a worn bearing and was wobbling, somehow this built up heat in the belt and this transferred up the shaft into the transmission... Funny, that bentonite grease would get liquid, like the oil you're describing.

So, the next time you run it and it starts to doing it, cut it off first.
Then (and here's where you have to be careful) get up underneath and feel your belts for heat, do NOT touch a pulley or spindle because they can get real hot lol but if a belt is hot to the touch then it might lead you to further conclusions or checks.

Anyhow, you can also check it when it's cold for wobbly pulleys and what have you, maybe run it at low rpm and look underneath to see how it all works, I am thinking your engine is catching extra heat from underneath but idk for sure.

Something binding, or rubbing would do it, too.
The other thing you might check is the carb mix adjustment, perhaps it's running too lean?

TWUllc
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Fallow up.

Did NOT have any problems this past week. (knock on wood)

I did the fallowing.

Changed fuel filter back to OEM. Had a FRAM high flow filter on.

Took Topsites' idea, and took the center belt cover off the mower.

No more over heating.

I don't know if it was the fuel filter, or a combo of both, but its fine now.

BTW Topsites, the belts, pulleys, and spindles are good as new. I figured I'd take it off just for the heck of it. Look what happened. :) Hopefully my headache is done with, for now atleast.

See Ya!