PDA

View Full Version : Animal Fatalities while on the Job

corycc
08-03-2001, 08:34 PM
I like to think I am a macho-man, but I don't like killing things. Today, I was out mowing a yard and saw a baby bunny run out into the yard as I came around the corner. I didn't see where it went but figured it ran off. Well, I start my rows and the third or fourth I heard my blades hit something. Well you guessed it. I hit the rabbit. It had burried itself under the grass trying to get away from me and I didn't see it. Made a bloody mess too. It was still wiggling. But that's not the end of it. About seven or eight rows later, the rear half of the bunny flew out from under my deck. At first I thought I had hit another, but then realized it was just a half.

I had two lawns across the street from eachother and I had rescued a baby rabbit from a basement window well and it ran across the street. Started mowing the other yard and saw something wiggling in the grass. I had run over the same rabbit, with my tire.

I was trimming around the parking lot of a Girl Scout Camp that I maintain and killed a snake once.

You guys ever kill anything while on the job?:cry:

Calvin
08-03-2001, 08:46 PM
Yea, a six pack.

lawrence stone
08-03-2001, 08:46 PM
I think we need a moderator to KILL this one. Great reading right after dinner eh?

wallzwallz
08-03-2001, 09:02 PM
I've killed the usual snakes, frogs, toads no rabbits thank you,but the nastiest was when i let a lawn get a little too long i hit a turtle about 10 inch shell,ripped him in half lengthwise. half shredded everywhere other half not a scratch,not a fun scrape of the deck + blade change:angel:

Got Grass?
08-03-2001, 09:13 PM
On my own Nothing. Working for someone last year hit a bunny, a mouse and cliped the wings of a turky in late october. It was hiding in a Yew between the house and fence. I scared it out, only a couple feathers went flying and it hoped on the Yew and over the fence so I knew it was ok.
Now 2 years ago at Home Depot there was always dead animals arround the place, I think becasue thay dumped all the open bags of fert. and stuff in back. Dead Duck, Seagul, Crow, Snake, Rabbit, Rats. and bones of unknowns prolly squirls. Killed a couple mice and small rats there. Luckly I was supervisor and always made other people clean the decks. Thoes plastic pallet/box straps are the worst to run over.

Eric ELM
08-03-2001, 09:57 PM
I like animals, but accidents do happen. Here is another thread on the same topic from last year.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=34658

ronslawncare
08-03-2001, 10:53 PM
this is a crazy thread .i just weed wack a stupid frog on wensday but he made it just cut his back open i never saw the little sucker my trmmer glasses are scratch up on both of them from edgeing better buy new ones before i run over a dog.......

Currier
08-03-2001, 10:59 PM
Last week I was mowing and stopped the mower just in time to avoid the dead and disemboweled body of a racoon...unfortunately I did see part of an intestine get sucked under the deck! This was the first lawn of the day and was NOT a real pleasant way to begin!

rdh
08-03-2001, 11:26 PM
snakes and mice if the dbl blades dont do it i will back up and use the tire .

JLC
08-03-2001, 11:27 PM
The baby bunny one does feel nasty after you do it. If those stupid animals just wouldn't poke their heads up to see whats coming. My worst is just plain nasty and you may not be able to eat a certain food after you read it. You've been warned...years ago when I first started mowing I was doing a residential backyard and the grass was tall. I was mowing the perimeter. The first pass I heard a thud. Didn't think anything, thought it was a stick. Next pass, oh my, it wasn't a stick, it was a dead rabbit. I did a cross section of him. The only movement was the jillion white maggots squirming inside its stomach. Now for the kicker...lets just say that after what I saw I can't bring myself to eat a twice baked potatoe. EECCHH.

1stclasslawns
08-03-2001, 11:43 PM
I do my best to get rats, mice, and snakees. I hate it when I get a rabbit or turtles.

Lets not try to gross each other out 'cause peeople like Kirby and me working E.M.T and rescue cutting people have a definant advantage.

Jim:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

geogunn
08-03-2001, 11:45 PM
being from the south and an avowed bass fisherman, I gotta start this tale, uh...I mean true story with the following pre admonition:

THIS AINT NO BS!

I ran over a hummingbird a while back and believe it or not, it wasn't hurt.

it was in my own yard and I think it hit a window and fell into the grass.

I mowed over it and I was horrified when I picked it up and then saw it blink! daaaammmn!

to skip to the end, I fed the hummer sugar water while it sat on my finger. after about an hour it was ready to go.

GEO

Alanky
08-04-2001, 12:21 AM
This was not me but it fits this thread. Friend of mine was sawing down a hollow tree and sawed a racoon almost in half.

I have hit a few baby birds, squirls, and a few toads.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-04-2001, 12:22 AM
You guy are going to love this…

About 3 years ago, one of my guys was in a back of a yard and came running over to my girlfriend and said he hit a deer (a fawn) while mowing. She came to me and we all went to go see, and wouldn’t you know it there was a fawn stuck on the W/B. A fawn had jumped out of the woods onto the mower. He picked it off and it ran to mommy. After it ran away we looked to see what it had gotten stuck on, it’s leg was stuck in between the frame and the deck of an Exmark TT 52”. The poor little guy had been burned by the muffler guard.

Till this day he thought mommy deer was going to get him for that.
And the burn mark is still on the muffler guard.

After being bitten 2 times by poisonous snake while mowing, I only kill the poisonous snakes when I see them.

The first time my girlfriend ran over a bunny, she came to get me to ‘finish it off’ so it wouldn’t suffer. Except she said she hit a mole and wanted me to kill it. When I got around to the front, it was actually a baby bunny without its ears. She looked like she was going to cry when I told her what it was….

LGF:blob1:

SLS
08-04-2001, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

So far this year:

1 baby bunny, 1 turtle, 2 snakes.

I did save 1 baby bunny by picking up a small clump of stuff (out of several) that the homeowner pulled from her beds and left for me to shred. It was lying real low with ears flat to it's back...one pat on it's little tail and away it went into the adjoining woods :)

I have let a couple of harmless snakes get away too...although one was defiant...actually raised up in front of my Laser's deck to stand it's ground...but as I inched towards it it came to it's senses and slithered away.

I always feel bad when I mow a little creature down but ironically I have no problem eating them. :D

lawnboy82
08-04-2001, 12:51 AM
worst i have done so far, as far as i can remember was i killed a baby rabbit when i was trimming one day. the thing came out, i think it had a heart attack or something and died. i guess i really am that ugly. lol. talk to some tree guys though. its not abnormal for us to be cutting up a stick and to all of a sudden see red all over the place. sometimes its a bird, other times it will be a racoon, or squirrels. not out of the ordinary. i do remember one time though we did a tree, the climber scared a mother racoon out of a tree. thing came down head first got the stick down and it had left 5 babies in there. we put them in the woods, and never heard from them again.

bobbygedd
08-04-2001, 01:10 AM
one time i emptied the catcher into my truck, and hopping out with one missing leg was a green frog, how he didnt get mangled is beyond me, i know they like water, so i drove to the nearest lake and dropped him off

Lawn DOG
08-04-2001, 01:28 AM
Bush hogged a fawn last year. Could not even count how many bunnies I have killed. I always try to avoid any animal even the snakes. Usually don't notice until I see the red or fur.:cry:

LAWNGODFATHER
08-04-2001, 01:38 AM
you guy make me want to cry:cry: :cry:

Remsen1
08-04-2001, 07:49 AM
I don't mind the killing so much as the dismembering and suffering caused. If they get mowed and they die instantly, it is the best thing for them and it doesn't bother me too much. If they get mowed but they keep hopping around, or like the fawn story above, that is sad.

MOW ED
08-04-2001, 08:43 AM
I've hit birds, and frogs by accident. I do admit to chasing down voles and giving them the finely manicured Walker GHS treatment.
I may be a bit warped but I got a funny image of a rabbit with no ears from an above post. That reminded me of my good friend who was rototilling his garden with his boys watching him. He was breaking it up in the spring, on a Saturday right before Easter when he tilled into a hutch that he did not see until the fur was flyin. The kids thought there wasn't gonna be an Easter.

Davis TLC
08-04-2001, 09:13 AM
I've only hit a few snakes this year. And both of those were with the weedeater. I hate it when they get flung out of the grass at you, I do a little dance and mumble a few choice words. I don't mind snakes as long as I know their there, but when they surprise me I go after them with a vengence.

Alanky
08-04-2001, 10:19 AM
another thing I killed but forgot to add to my post was a kitten. Parked the truck for a few min. and when i fired it up the fan chopped that kitten up in a few pieces. I felt pretty bad on that one :cry:

CSRA Landscaping
08-04-2001, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru (Kris):

"Wosrt lawn I mowed was the other day.

Received a call from the code enforcement officer, and the homeowner agreed to the price. Here lawn was 10 inches high if it was 2 feet tall.

Anyhow asked her about the dog and she said he would be inside. I had to psuh down on the handle bars to get thru it the first of three times.

Came around the back of the garage and for whatever reason she had let her pomeranian out to use the lawn and I plum shredded her puppy to smitheranes.

Didnt see him in the grass, let alone anticipate that he would be out there after she had just assured us that he would be inside as we inspected her lawn for beer bottles, cans, toys, car parts etc.

Thats the worst lawn to date for me. I offered to replace her pooch but she refused. I can understand her point about not being able to replace the family puppy.

Kris"

David Gretzmier
08-04-2001, 05:46 PM
true story- A buddy of mine used to own a sizable operation and did huge amounts of leaves in the winter. he bought a leaf vacuum with a semi sized box and towed it behind his flatbed. he would knock doors on a street and get each house for 40-50 bucks and blow all leaves into street for the vacuum. the engine went out and he found a helicopter engine at an army auction for 200 bucks. it sorta fit, but ran at about 8000 rpms and scared me to death, but with a 16 inch hose on some sort of boom that joker could do a whole street of leaves in about 3 hours. He told me he often sucked up newspapers, cans, small trashbags even and they went right through. having used it, I believe it. One day he is about halfway down a street when an old lady comes up to him and says-" Have you seen my dog?" He hadn't , but YEP you guessed it. while dumping at the end of the day there was an area of the semi with white poodle fur and blood. the guy operating the "sucker" couldn't speak english.

On a separate thought, I don't check the shape of the scales on snakes before I run over them. twice. they are all poisonous.

Dave g

cmcfalls
08-05-2001, 12:20 AM
The worst was when I was bush hogging in some tall grass I ran over a baby deer. That was terrible. The mother ran around for hours chasing birds off it. SORRY !!!!!!

powerreel
08-05-2001, 12:39 AM
I took out a nest of birds with extended shears once.:(

dfor
08-05-2001, 08:21 AM
Moths. I'm killing thousands of moths. I can't take it anymore. It takes forever trying to cut around them.

stick9
08-05-2001, 12:16 PM
One time I was trimming by a pine tree (with mulch around it) .. and this little bunny jumped out and RIGHT into my string .... it kinda flopped around ... I told my boss to drop the blades over it to put it out of its misery, but he wouldn't .. so I had to.

Last year, I was cutting behind a row of pine trees, I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye, looked, and as I ran it over with my dixie tire, saw a baby bird (although it was almost fully grown) ... it was kinda flopping around too .. so .. again, I dropped the blades over it ... man.

And then, once this year, we just finished blowing when I noticed this cat that had been run over by a car ... and I mean it was FLAT .. but it was still alive ... and making these weird head movements and stuff ... that sucked ... so ... I got the truck and tried to finish the job .. but the guy who was spotting for me had me run over the BODY .. yeah .. that'll do it .. cat's aren't completely flexible or anything ... geeze ... so then we backed up and ran over the head.

Take responsibility for the suffering.

stiCk-niNe

Phishook
12-06-2001, 02:36 AM
I thought I was the only one that these things happened to.

I was mowing a church parsinage, just about to finish. BAM! Rabit ran out of the flower bed in the side discharge. The head hit the house and the body was on the driveway. To make it worse, I went to the door to explain why I was washing their house and driveway off whith their hose and the pastor said, they were in the kitchen watching the bunny as it happened. They had been feeding it all summer. What do you say?

Mowing a residential lawn. Shut the mower off to pick up some sticks. Jumped back on and started it up. thump. All I saw was a cat running up to the house with a real short tail. It must have gotten caught on the Hydro belt.

Finishing up a farm lot when I was a kid, spun arround and three cyotees standing right there. Scared me to death.

The BUMBLE BEE'S have got me for every snake and frog I've killed.

watatrp
12-06-2001, 07:05 AM
Ran over a dead racoon once. It was only half grown and looked like a piece of bark. My partner was trimming near the house and the mower picked up the whole thing and threw it 20 yards and it hit the side of the brick house right in front of him. You should've seen him jump and how big his eyes got. I laughed so hard it hurt.

awm
12-06-2001, 07:37 AM
corycc, i sympathise bud ,but its just gonna happen in this buisiness. dont make my day either.

HOWARD JONES
12-06-2001, 10:00 AM
If this bothers you (and it bothers me), don't go into mowing hay with a sickle mower - off to the side, the animals don't see it and it really cuts them up without killing.

BigJim
12-06-2001, 01:16 PM
LOL...nothing like some good roadkill stories,especially while your sitting here eating dinner,I ran over a hedgehog with my mulching pushmower on one lawn,blood and guts in all directions,for a minute I thought I,d run over my foot!

GLS
12-06-2001, 05:56 PM
Other than running over snakes, frogs, etc., while sucking up leaves a bird came through...lotta feathers all over the place.

PRECISION LC
12-06-2001, 10:12 PM
I am terrified of snakes. This may sound bad, but everytime I see a snake i must kill it, i guess one less worry. I have only done this about 5 times so not that bad.
kyle

Doogiegh
12-06-2001, 11:00 PM
Ok, so this isn't a Kill story, but instead I took the hit.. I'm trimming up against the back of my mom's house foundation in the hotter months of the summer, trimmer go full blast. I think we had just gotten back from vacation and the grass was pretty high and needed to be trimmed bad..

Next thing you know, I feel this stabs all over the place.. I look around and there are yellow-jackets everywhere.. Apparently there used to be a bush planted there, and all that was left was the roots. The roots in the ground were all dry-rotted out and the jackets had made a nice nest in there.

Anyways, I take off running across the back yard, throw the trimmer while it's running like it's a javelin contest and do the Smokey-The-Bear Stop-Drop & Roll all over in the grass about 50 feet away from the nest to get these things off me.

All said and done, I was stung 10-11 times, I remember looking down and one of the jerks is quivering away on leg with his stinger in me, (it didn't seperate from his body the way it's supposed to). I was treated, I'm not allergic thank-god!

I'll tell you this..

Here in New Jersey, it can be July 17th, 96 degrees out, 97% humidity and I'll now trim in full long-pants (jeans), high work boots, and a t-shirt with a full "fall weather" type sweatshirt over top.. And I wear gloves. This way the only skin exposed at all now is my face.. and on that I wear glasses and the dorky safety goggles on top..

I'd rather trim fully covered and sweat to death and then hose myself down with cold water, then to go with shorts and a tank top and get stung again..

And I'm seriously really afraid of bees, wasps and yellow jackets now... They are NOT my friend..

GLS
12-07-2001, 04:49 PM
PRECISION LC:
I am terrified of snakes...everytime I see a snake i must kill it
Wouldn't you be more prone to get hurt by a snake if you tried to kill it than just staying away from it? I also am scared of em (the big ones) but I would rather just let it be than to go kill it!

brandy
12-07-2001, 07:05 PM
Doubles sure don't leave much. Nothing left. thank god he was illegal!!!HAHAHAH

odin
12-07-2001, 07:46 PM
Only thing for me so far is a frog that the trimmer took out

Esby
12-07-2001, 08:58 PM
It seems like a snake or two finds its way under the decks at least once a month. Other than that just the usual frogs and mole rodents. The only notable kill was that of a frisky squirrel. I saw him coming down the side of a tree I was coming up to, he was kind of spiraling down the side. As I moved the discharge side of my Lazer next to the tree the squirrel ran directly down the side to the tree onto the ground and right into the discharge opening. I couldn't believe it, and I dont think he could either as he was now in about 4 pieces splattered against the tree. To say the least I felt bad, but I'm going to lay most of the blame on the frisky squirrel. R.I.P.

leaflawnandlimb
12-07-2001, 09:00 PM
cut off the legs of a deer with a sickle mower and put a pheasant through the haybind, feathers flew all over.

odin
12-07-2001, 09:23 PM
esby
I had a experience similer to yours but not related to lawncare.
I was out hunting and one of my hounds chased a rabbit right up a farmers combine.I must say the old hound when on the trail of game only had getting that rabbit on his mind.After that he didnt have a mind anymore because their wasnt nothing left of him.
Took me a long time to replace him he was a fine hunter i guess to good.

southside
12-07-2001, 11:07 PM
I was slashing an overgrown vacant lot with the tractor.The grass
would've been around waist deep. Halfway through I thought I
heard a strange noise. I looked around and found that I had
shredded a whole litter of kittens. Major mess,hair teeth and eyeballs everywhere. Also run over numerous mice,rats,rabbits.

:D

ron
12-08-2001, 09:23 AM
Moving a very large yard over on the beach side I hit and killed a small black kitten..well I was so upset I put all my equipment up in the trailer picked up the tiny remains and went to the nearest vacant lot and buried the poor thing.I then went home NO WORK THAT DAY>

ron
12-08-2001, 09:24 AM
ops mowing a large yard..sorry

CoultersDFW
02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I'ts just been toads, mice, and snakes for me... Usually the trimmer gets them and I have to finish them off with the mower. Theres not much wildlife to speak of around here. Man I hope I never have to deal with family pets being hurt. And jeez, I am scared as heck of bees and wasps. :eek:

jajwrigh
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I ran over one of my customer's baby nephews with a tiller! He was sleeping near a swingset and I never saw him I eventually gave her 5% off her next mowing to make up for it!

GTLC
02-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Oh well, sh!t happens sometimes. A little snake doesn't bother me, they do no good anyway. I hit a big frogs legs once and the poor thing died b/c it couldn't hop anymore.

Tonyr
02-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Animal Fatalities while on the Job....

I reckon some of my moronic clients are as ferral as an wild animal mentally, wouldn't mind a few of them experienced a fatality, theirs! Off topic? Bad taste? Sorry :)

Well I do have some nasty horrible customers....
and in this country there isn't quite enough to be "too" picky and choosy.

CoultersDFW
02-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Haha, I think I resurrected a 3 year old thread. :o

CSRA Landscaping
02-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by jajwrigh
I ran over one of my customer's baby nephews with a tiller! He was sleeping near a swingset and I never saw him I eventually gave her 5% off her next mowing to make up for it!
;) :confused: ;)

Alanky
02-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by n1alx
A little snake doesn't bother me, they do no good anyway.

That shows your intelligence. http://www.ohiovalleys-series.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_slap.gif