PDA

View Full Version : Keeping winter business?

stevenf
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
When I start, I want to not only cut grass but also pull weeds, add mulch and other small jobs like that. Should thoughs three be written as LANDSCAPING on a business card or its requires alot more then that?

Also, How you do stay busy during the winter? with side jobs like above? Do you still cut weekly? do you wait for the people to tell you what they want?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-22-2007, 06:04 PM
If you are solo, when you start cutting you will be full in week with work, in the of season say 3 months you can take time off.

stevenf
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
do you cut any yards during the off season? or do you do other work?

Are my three or more things considered lawnscaping for advertisement or should I just say lawn work?

ed2hess
04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Regarding mowing in off season.....sometimes upscale residential will plant rye grass in the fall and that can be cut through the winter. Most residential areas like hotel and resturantant also have rye put in. But tree work works well in winter because people have been conditioned to have them done in winter because less chance of oak wilt. Even our customers without rye get at least one viist in Dec, Jan and Feb then we off mowing full again.

stevenf
04-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I will try to get into mulching around that time. mabey some gutter cleaning, leave pickup.
What type of tree work are you referring to?

NewHorizon's Land
04-22-2007, 08:17 PM
I believe he is talking about pruning and clean up. The three things you mentioned (mulching, weeding, etc) is considered Landscape Maintenance. Winter is for cleaning equipment, finding new customers, maintenance work on high end jobs, etc.

AL Inc
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Steven-Maybe say "complete landscape maintenance" on the business card, rather than naming all of the services you do. I always try to send a "monthly specials" flyer with my clients bill every month, just naming whatever services are appropriate for the month. So for July, I'll say, weeding, driveway sealcoating, clearing of overgrown areas, etc. Don't wait for them to tell you what they want, be a little aggressive and tell them what you can do for them. I generate a lot of extra work with these monthly mailings. As winter is coming, I'll advertise for gutter cleaning, flower bulbs, lime and fertilizer, and say "keep us in mind for winter garage or basement clean-outs" or rubbish removal. I've even picked up demolition work for the winter.
Let people know what you can do for them, the fact is people do business with people they like. Establish a good relationship with them, and they will call you first when they need something done.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Full service pressure washing.

ed2hess
04-22-2007, 10:37 PM
There is lot of tree trimming work that can be done from the ground with these new pole saws like echo makes....mainly smaller trees that need to be cut up so there is 6ft. ground clearance. Mulch work not real good in winter in our areas because leaves fall until almost March...that is when mulching starts.