PDA

View Full Version : Lots of thatch

MattsMowing3535
04-22-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure what to do, I've got a yard with lots of thatch in part of it and dont know if I should aerate or dethatch that yard. Ive know that you can aerate it to help control some of the thatch but am not sure what to do about the plugs. Can I just throw some old blades on my mower to mow while the plugs are there? Or is it just a better idea for me to dethatch and be done with it? Im leaning more towards dethatching at this point and I was thinking about charging 125 dollers for the 1/4 acre yard. I have to rent the machine. Sound about right??

Superbrock
04-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Both will work. De-thatching will bring better results than aerification as this will mostly relieve compaction. What type of turf are you dealing with? Either way, you should consider applying a pre-emergent herbicide because when you perform either of these practices, you will bring weed seeds to the surface.

MattsMowing3535
04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Im not sure what type of turf it is. . . She has Chemlawn come and take care of all the chemicals. So I am sure they put down something like that to take care of weeds. Does anyone know how long I should expect for a completly open lawn that took me about 15-20 minutes to mow with a 21"?