PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on Landscape Fabric

rockandroller
04-22-2007, 07:08 PM
What do you'll think of landscape fabric when you do bed renovations, new beds etc...?I am bidding out a job to clear out all vegetation (weeds, unwanted perennials) in about 440 sq ft of beds, then lay some landscape stone in it's place. I absolutely do not like working with the fabric, and I don't think it does that great a job in preventing weeds as well..

Just want to get a feel for what you'll think of it, and do you always use it in applications such as this?

Thanks

gene gls
04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
What do you'll think of landscape fabric when you do bed renovations, new beds etc...?I am bidding out a job to clear out all vegetation (weeds, unwanted perennials) in about 440 sq ft of beds, then lay some landscape stone in it's place. I absolutely do not like working with the fabric, and I don't think it does that great a job in preventing weeds as well..

Just want to get a feel for what you'll think of it, and do you always use it in applications such as this?

Thanks

I only use it under stone to keep the stone from sinking into the dirt.

JB1
04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I only use it under stone to keep the stone from sinking into the dirt.

thats the only time we use it also.

Focal Point Landscapes
04-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Ditto , unless the client insists and I can't convince them otherwise..

Bustus
04-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Agree. I find many of my clients really insist on it and are willing to pay for it, even if I tell them otherwise.

LindblomRJ
04-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Under stone is about the only time I use it. Or is the customer is dead set insistent that we use it.

haybaler
04-22-2007, 10:06 PM
if people are willing to pay, use it! It's not that bad to use, I use it anytime I put new beds in with mulch. if your going to be edging it every year with a mechanical edger keep the fabric away from the edge so it doesn't get caught up. It really helps keep the weeds out when using with stone, at least for a couple years and then enough debris falls in between the stones and seeds start to sprout up.

topsites
04-22-2007, 10:07 PM
There is no such thing as weed prevention anyhow, it's weed control and control them is all we can do.
I think control, in this case means we deal with one weed while another sprouts, perhaps in a sense we're only controlling the direction in which they grow, maybe we slow them down some. I don't know, Round-up and Ortho kills a few, as does Drive-75df, but stop them?

And that plastic fabric, I can't deal with it.

mojob
04-22-2007, 11:06 PM
I think that really heavy duty black plastic stuff works the best under rock. I've noticed there are very few weeds in the beds with this stuff and the rock doesn't settle. I haven't been able to find anyone in this area that sells the stuff, though. My second choice is the gray woven stuff. I hear the black mesh is the worst. Does anyone know this for sure?

rockandroller
04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to write it in the bid and let them decide, but actually I'm hoping they opt out. I hate it, and it may mean more maintenance visits after the install.

green horizons
04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Definetly under rock/ stone. Under mulch is silly.

Youngbeginner
04-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I use the heavy duty cloth that the highway department uses under asphalt. It might be overkill, but it STOPS the weeds. I only have to pull the occasional weeds that grow in the mulch itself.

PerfectEarth
04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
I can't believe you guys are even talking about this stuff- and endorsing it in some cases.

"Landscape fabric" is total and complete crap. It starves soil of water, oxygen, and nutrients, creates heat, doesn't prevent weeds in the long run, looks HORRIBLE when it decides to peak through- there is nothing good about it. I would turn down a job if a homeowner insisted on installing it.

It defines "low-rent" landscaping in every sense.

*oh, and rock "mulch" is equally poor.

Rtom45
04-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm totally opposed to the stuff. We don't use it in-house on campus, and whenever I have a chance to review bids for new installs, I asked to have it removed if its specified.

Stringblade
04-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I use heavy 6 mil black plastic. if there is an infestation of weeds. The fabric sucks ceratin weeds grow right threw it not a good investment at all. use plastic or pull weeds forever...