PDA

View Full Version : mulching question

kkoss
04-22-2007, 08:00 PM
i had a guy a couple days ago flip a shi!! on me when i gave him a bid, it was 115 bags of mulch which i buy in bulk and have deliverd for $21 a yd so i figuerd i would need about 12 yds, then he wanted me to edge which i charged him $275 and a spring clean up, then (this is the best part) he wanted me to remove ALL of the mulch that was already in the beds and take it away, i figured with everything included with 4-5 guys workin on it for 7-9 hrs, so i charged him a little over $2,000.00 now i've been doin this for a little while now so i figured it's a good price, but he just about killed me when i told him, and hes not really hurtin for money eithier, so what does everyone think here, did i really screw it up or what??

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-22-2007, 08:05 PM
How much edge? How big is the clean up (how many hours)?

kkoss
04-22-2007, 08:08 PM
the edge was 150 ft or so and it has never been done before it would take about 2-3 hrs, and the whole job would take 7-9 hrs with 4-5 guys on it

Grits
04-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Actually sounds like a good deal to me. It seems what jacked the price up was removal of the old mulch. He has to understand that. Maybe tell him that removal of the old mulch is not necessary and that will bring the price down. Otherwise, f**K that cheap A$$ motherf**ker. I get sick of people wanting a bunch of work done but not wanting to pay for it.

kkoss
04-22-2007, 08:27 PM
THANK YOU!! dudes got a BMW suv and a mercedes benz suv sittin in the driveway, and i've done work for him for the last 2 years and never had a problem before, then hes like no no that's fine whatever i'll just go for the mowings i could get someone to do it for $200, i was like yea right dude

Grits
04-22-2007, 10:02 PM
THANK YOU!! dudes got a BMW suv and a mercedes benz suv sittin in the driveway, and i've done work for him for the last 2 years and never had a problem before, then hes like no no that's fine whatever i'll just go for the mowings i could get someone to do it for $200, i was like yea right dude

$200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is this ******-bag thinking?!?!?!

turbo5560
04-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Well to start off... 115 bags comes out to 8.5 yards if they are 2 cubic foot bags. But why are you figuring out mulch by the bag anyways? But lets say it was 12 yards, for shredded hardwood I'd charge $50 a yard if it was easy work. Which is $600. Edging can't take more then a couple hours. So there is $400. So figure $1000 bucks. Removal and displosal of old mulch, charge $50 an hour per person. And I think you are close to the right price, but i would say you are on the high side.

topsites
04-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Bit on the high side, try ordering mulch by the cu.yd.

kkoss
04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
first the bags are 3 cubic ft,second i count out how many bags then convert them to yds and the going rate is $65-$80 per yd bought and spread, third the prices are more down here then in holland as is the price of living and income, fourth it's not to easy because he has alot of small flowers and shrubs, fifth they charge any where between $65 to $125 down here depending on what kind of job your working with, but i do see your point,thank you

kkoss
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
and thats why the bid was so high because i would've had to remove the mulch so i charged him $895 just for removing the mulch
thanks

Liquidfast
04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a mulch job coming up and there is no way I would remove the old stuff. As far as I am concerned, its gonna help keep the weeds from showing for an additional 3-4 weeks which will be when we start in full swing and should allow me enough time to get back there and remove the weeds and make more mulah!

Poncho25
04-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Based on what you stated, and what he needed or rather wanted done, your price is right on. Even here in Fla I charge 50-55 per yard installed, and labor i charge 45 per man hour, so yeah. If he does come back to you make sure you get 50% of the payment upfront!!!

Grits
04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Based on what you stated, and what he needed or rather wanted done, your price is right on. Even here in Fla I charge 50-55 per yard installed, and labor i charge 45 per man hour, so yeah. If he does come back to you make sure you get 50% of the payment upfront!!!

Up in the panhandle we are getting 70 - 80 installed. I agree....always get at least 50% up front. I always do....sometimes I try to get paid in full up front.

ed2hess
04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Boy $1700 sounds like a lot of money to clean up a bed and put down $300 of mulch. The normal price in our area would be about half the amount you quoted. Can't be more than a days work for a couple guys.

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Boy $1700 sounds like a lot of money to clean up a bed and put down $300 of mulch. The normal price in our area would be about half the amount you quoted. Can't be more than a days work for a couple guys.

I dunno, he's got to remove all the old stuff which is a PITA and takes more time than laying down the new stuff.

I bid a job a few days ago, this was a 1/8 acre lot with 1200 square feet of bed area, I figured around 13 yards to be safe, and my price was 840 bucks. So to remove the old stuff too, then you're invariably going to be pulling a few weeds, and new edging, I don't think around 2K is out of line at all.