PDA

View Full Version : How about a contest.

grandview (2006)
04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Every month Turf prints a thread in the magazine,so how about a contest for the readers. When Turf prints a thread in the magazine and if the person whose thread is used, posts first that they saw it they get a little gift. This way everybody will look at the magazine faster.

ribbie78
04-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Cool idea. hey....wait a minute...are you a turf editor in disguise with a brilliant marketing ploy...... oh well what's the prize??? :cool2:

grandview (2006)
04-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Nope. Just a member. First thing I read . A new mower would be great, but I think they'll send you a pen instead.

mcwlandscaping
04-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Nope. Just a member. First thing I read . A new mower would be great, but I think they'll send you a pen instead.
Who couldn't use a free pen!!?? lol

kathyu
04-23-2007, 09:19 AM
HEY WAIT!

Does the pen have to actually work?

My initial reaction was this is an awesome idea. Then reality hit and the problem with this is that the magazines reach different parts of the country at different times. Usually only by a few days max, but it gives an unfair advantage to folks near Louisville, KY which is where our printer is located. People in California will become extremely jealous, for they, too, will want the coveted pen.

I'll run it by DC though and maybe we can figure out a way around that....IF we can afford such an investment, maybe a pen for the first responder in each region.

Thanks for the idea guys! :usflag:

Kate Butler
04-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Am I crazy, or would it just be easier to GIVE the thread starter the pen because he/she started such an interesting thread?

grandview (2006)
04-23-2007, 09:31 PM
No. They wouldn't have any incentive to open the magazine.:) Also it doesn't have to be a pen how about a company Moose hat!

txgrassguy
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Kathy, a simple way to address the central printer versus reader problem is to initiate a deadline, gasp! - those dreaded words - for the response.
Simply do not accept responses prior to the date the furthermost reader "typically" receives their issue.
Statistically it shouldn't be that difficult to predictively model delivery dates across the US.
Should you choose to initiate a global segment, simply restrict those entries to their parts of the globe.
Then at years' end have the membership vote on which article was the most well received. Adjust for population densities and literally anyone across the globe can participate.

kathyu
04-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Great ideas.
We have a manager's meeting today and I will bring this up! Moose hats?? Do you want that with antler's?

How about Lawnsite t-shirts, with Turf on the back? (I'll probably get handed my a** for that suggestion!) LOL...oh well. Living on the edge is what I do....

I'll let you know how it's received!

Kathy:usflag:

MarcSmith
04-24-2007, 09:06 AM
so for those us that have slow mail or don't get home until 5ish, were screwed...:)

kathyu
04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
so for those us that have slow mail or don't get home until 5ish, were screwed...:)

Patience dear. We'll figure something out. I don't even have it approved by the "powers that be" yet!

:usflag:

MarcSmith
04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Patience dear. We'll figure something out. I don't even have it approved by the "powers that be" yet!

:usflag:

just kidding ....I never win anything anyhow..

LindblomRJ
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Thread starter would be an okay idea. At the bottom of the article announce the winner. Ship the item, t shirt, moose hat with Antlers - I would like that, or a pen after the publication is shipped.

TurfEditor
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi guys -

I like the idea of rewarding the thread starter -- though, in the past, many of the threads have been started by our publisher, Jim.

Maybe if it's a thread we start, we could put everyone's name in a hat who gets their remarks published, and give away a coveted pen, moose hat (I like that!), t-shirt, or whatever junk we have lying around.

Let me knock it around the building and see what we can come up with.

Any more ideas/thoughts are welcome as well.

David C
Exec Editor

LindblomRJ
04-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Give Jim some office supplies that he is in dire need of, if he starts a thread.

grandview (2006)
04-24-2007, 09:34 PM
How about something like this.:confused:

LindblomRJ
04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
In my best Bullwinkle voice. Yes

kathyu
04-25-2007, 09:09 AM
I LOVE THE HAT!! I'll see what I can do about finding it and pricing it out. (CFO of course will have the final say)

ONLY if the winners agree to have a picture of them wearing this on the jobsite published in the next issue!

wahlturfcare
04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
i'd definately wear that on my jobs.
For a contest, you could also do a search for things in the magazine contest. whether it me in writing or in the pictures(logos, slogans, etc)...

LindblomRJ
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Kathy I would 1 up you with hat. I would even use my "Bullwinke voice"

"Hey Rocky watch me pull a mower out of my...."

LawnGuy73
04-26-2007, 09:16 AM
This way everybody will look at the magazine faster.

Some of us do work...:rolleyes:

TurfEditor
04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Do you guys really want the moose hat, or would you prefer a real LawnSite hat/t-shirt/mug or other actually usable item?

What's your vote?

David C

LindblomRJ
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Personally for me the moose hat. I doubt I speak for the majority though.

kathyu
04-26-2007, 01:37 PM
You have to love this stuff! Go to the quick and dirty poll in reference to the "In your own words" contest.:usflag: