PDA

View Full Version : Hunter & MP Rotator

bdb
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
As of Friday afternoon Hunter purchased the MP Rotator. This could be bad news for the Rain Bird rotary nozzle. Easier access to get the MP's.

bobw
04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Do you have any links to this news?

bdb
04-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Got the word from a Hunter rep. They were working on it for a while I guess. But as of Friday it's offical. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

Rainman7
04-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Why design your own when you could just buy someone else's design..

Hunter......"The Irrigation Imitators":laugh:

Ground Master
04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
sweet, maybe now other distributors can sell them. Around here, only ewing had them.

irrigation man
04-23-2007, 11:45 AM
its true but hunter doesnt take control till this fall you will still be limited to where you can get them until then,

irrigation man
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
its true but no distrubutor changes until this fall

bdb
04-23-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.bizactions.com/index.cfm/ba/e105/fa/61692283G1577J1493103P0P10046730T0/

Here is an article that I found.

PurpHaze
04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Why design your own when you could just buy someone else's design..

Hunter......"The Irrigation Imitators":laugh:

Are you 100% positive that every "Rainbird" product (past and present) has been developed totally inhouse? You have a 50/50 chance of getting this question right. :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Are you 100% positive that every "Rainbird" product (past and present) has been developed totally inhouse? You have a 50/50 chance of getting this question right. :laugh:

I'm absolutely positive that RB uses more and produces less patent technology than any other company in this buisness. The real question would be has RB EVER presented a product from in house only research and technology? Might have been what happened with the T-Bird!

I think I would put Hunter at the top of the list of patent and tech producers now that Toro owns Irritrol, but that is shooting from the gut, not real knowledge.

Wet_Boots
04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey, Rainbird brought us the Minipaw - a quantum leap in effective cheapness.

Don't forget (or do, and see if I care) that Rainbird were the guys that patented an impact head that didn't splash water to the side.

(maybe they were big in buggy whips, too :) )

Rotor_Tool
04-24-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm absolutely positive that RB uses more and produces less patent technology than any other company in this buisness. The real question would be has RB EVER presented a product from in house only research and technology? Might have been what happened with the T-Bird!

I think I would put Hunter at the top of the list of patent and tech producers now that Toro owns Irritrol, but that is shooting from the gut, not real knowledge.

I wouldn't bet on that horse to show in the race. Rain Bird has over 137 patents to date, you can check that if you want. If you are not familiar with Central Control applications, Maxi-Com, Maxi-Com2, SiteControl, Two-wire technology (in the late 70's - Hunter has just now caught on to this one), the in-stem pressure regulator (1800 PRS, also the 5000 PRS), pressure regulating swing joint, the co-molded wiper seal that set's the standard in sprays, the list is very long! As far as complete in-house designs...most recently, 5000PRS, 5505, 7005, 8005, and many, many more.

Remote Pigtails
04-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't bet on that horse to show in the race. Rain Bird has over 137 patents to date, you can check that if you want. If you are not familiar with Central Control applications, Maxi-Com, Maxi-Com2, SiteControl, Two-wire technology (in the late 70's - Hunter has just now caught on to this one), the in-stem pressure regulator (1800 PRS, also the 5000 PRS), pressure regulating swing joint, the co-molded wiper seal that set's the standard in sprays, the list is very long! As far as complete in-house designs...most recently, 5000PRS, 5505, 7005, 8005, and many, many more.

I was told by my supply houses that RB was going to take a strong aggressive approach to Hunter. In reading your posts recently are you part of this? I don't have a problem with this I'm just curious.

bicmudpuppy
04-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Just what do you do for RB? Your not a field tech, that is obvious from your posts and bias. And 137 looks like a cool number, but you and I know its a stat without a base line. A true "leaky bucket" trying to bail out a conversation. I don't know much about two-wire, but I've seen my share of central control systems and I never liked the Maxi series. The Buckner COPS driven systems of that era were much more reliable, and I would have taken a Toro setup over a Maxi-com any day. In-stem pressure regulation.........Or the original SAM technology. This is a real contribution, no argument, but build an entire head with just a check valve and see how much water you disperse. The one stat RB leads the industry in is releasing new technology without testing. ESP's, T-Birds, etc. And, as most on this site know, I'm not a big Hunter fan. I truly wish Irritrol could have survived the Toro by-out w/o a Toro influence. The inovators of the last few decades have been in the irritrol R&D.

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't bet on that horse to show in the race. Rain Bird has over 137 patents to date, you can check that if you want.

Toro has over 200 irrigation patents and it is said that Ed Hunter personally had over 140 patents at his death. This is not to say that patents aren't licensed out to competitors for partial use in their products. If you don't believe that patents are "swapped" out between manufacturers then you are deluding yourself. :)

Wet_Boots
04-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey, I could file a patent for a chocolate helicopter, not that it would mean much.

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Or the chocolate Otter Pop??? :laugh:

Wet_Boots
04-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Ooh, thanks for reminding me. I gotta freeze up a few of those little beauties.

Mike Leary
04-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Jeez, I was gone, what fired you guys up?

Beartooth
04-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Guess where the guys at Nelson got the technology for the MP? The answer of course is Hunter. In fact, Hunter receives a royalty for every MP sold!

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Guess where the guys at Nelson got the technology for the MP? The answer of course is Hunter. In fact, Hunter receives a royalty for every MP sold!

I was led to believe the MP Rotator was a offshoot from the AG end & the
upside down nozzles on the huge "travelers" & developed by Walla Walla.

jerryrwm
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I was led to believe the MP Rotator was a offshoot from the AG end & the
upside down nozzles on the huge "travelers" & developed by Walla Walla.Yep...Ag center pivots have been using this type for many years. Then they probably got hooked up with Hunter or some other lawn irrig mfgr to come up with the concept of using them in turf applications.

DanEHunter
04-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Well, that's news to me.....and if it were true I think I'd know about it.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, that's news to me.....and if it were true I think I'd know about it.

Looks like from the location, someone knows what they're talkin' about!

DanEHunter
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Actually I would like to admit that I was wrong.....

They were paying us to use one of our patents. I believe it was for their adjustment mechanism.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Actually I would like to admit that I was wrong.....

They were paying us to use one of our patents. I believe it was for their adjustment mechanism.

Welcome to the site Dan, we are all fans of what Ed did for the industry;
when are you bringing out a "Stream" rotor to kick Toro's a.s????

DanEHunter
04-25-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm always touched by hearing people reflect on what kind of man Ed Hunter was. To most he was Mr. Hunter, to some he was just Ed...to me he was grandpa.

Thank you for the welcome.

In response to your question.....

I have no idea what you're talking about....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Wait, we have Rotor_Tool, who is obviouslly a Rainbird employee, and now we have a high ranking Hunter official on the site?

Cool.

I suggest a cage match. Two men enter, one man leaves.

bobw
04-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Wait, we have Rotor_Tool, who is obviouslly a Rainbird employee, and now we have a high ranking Hunter official on the site?

Cool.

I suggest a cage match. Two men enter, one man leaves.

How about a design challenge... whichever man can design a better system gets our business?

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
How about a design challenge... whichever man can design a better system gets our business?

Of course, we'll all be out of service work then.....naah not!
Maybe Lawn Genie beer would sponsor the challenge?

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Lawn Genie has always equaled crap in my mind, too many home depot lawn genie timers out there for my taste.

If we are going to name a beer after irrigation, Lawn Genie would be the KeyStone Ice.

Lets go with Buckner Beer :D

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Lawn Genie has always equaled crap in my mind, too many home depot lawn genie timers out there for my taste.

If we are going to name a beer after irrigation, Lawn Genie would be the KeyStone Ice.

Hey, we can change the labels, but it's still the great taste of formaldehyde
& the buzz of mescaline that remains the same. "Lawn Genie beer, smells
like a doctor's office".

Wet_Boots
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Safe-T-Lawn Lager? :drinkup:

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Safe-T-Lawn Lager? :drinkup:

Shall we have a naming contest? Granted, the age old recipe will remain the
same..with a few additions. By the way, do you guys think they're slipping
something into Jon's lattes at his new yuppie digs?

bicmudpuppy
04-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Buckner Beer sounds great, but I don't want to lift the brass cans all night, can we get it on tap?

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Buckner Beer sounds great, but I don't want to lift the brass cans all night, can we get it on tap?

It could be available on tap, but you'd have to tow the kegs with your plows.

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I officially announce that this is now the beer thread...Since we already have a BBQ thread.

Being a PNW guy, I drink a good bit of Alaskan Amber. I like lighter beers on a hot day, but give me a decent Amber Ale after dinner and I'm a happy camper.

I don't do lattes. If I'm going to pay $4 for a cup of cover it better do something better than a cup of black that I can get in the break room.

Speaking of break rooms, ours has a magically restocking fridge full of Pepsi products. I can just see my gut growing.

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I drink Naties. My assistant Henry (you know the one you red lined) has started making beer and gave me a couple. Actually pretty good.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 06:59 PM
You will get along w/Hank......I was a tried & true Rainier drinker all my young life..in fact, I even flew a case of Rainier to a recording session in
Colorado because I could'nt stand Coors. Bad decision, bottles exploded in
flight, I walked from baggage w/no Rainier!

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
As far as light beers, I like Kokanee and Heineken.

Remote Pigtails, Natty tastes like water.

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 07:07 PM

7.99/12 pack

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:09 PM
7.99/12 pack

I see your reasoning.

I don't drink enough beer anymore to make price a problem.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 07:12 PM

Kokanee is my favorite, after you know what! I once drank with some blokes
in Ontario, they suggested Brador Extra XXX, after a few, as I was sliding
towards the floor, one commented, "thats what we love about drinking with
you yanks, all you drink is deer piss". Brador was a 11% beer.

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Her's one for you Jon

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Her's one for you Jon

How come everybody is calling us by feminine names today?

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm still in my office, and I have lots of work to do at the home office tonight. No beer for me until around 11 PM :(

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
How come everybody is calling us by feminine names today?

You are allowed to misspell one word for each beer.:drinkup:

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm still in my office, and I have lots of work to do at the home office tonight. No beer for me until around 11 PM :(

That's too bad cuz the beer tastes really good right now.

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
You are allowed to misspell one word for each beer.:drinkup:

I think that Capt_Rotard has been hitting them a bit hard then.

bicmudpuppy
04-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I see your reasoning.

I don't drink enough beer anymore to make price a problem.

There is a great true statement. I love it when company comes over and I have good beer in the fridge. I get this....."must be doin' alright if you can aford that.." I can't help but laugh because a six pack lasts longer than a couple of cases used to. You can afford to drink decent brew if your not killing a 30pack a night!! I don't drink much any more, but sometimes I want a BEER. Maybe even two. I buy a six pack of what sound good, and I'll get around to drinking the rest......someday. Foster's is good, Moosehead, Lowenbraugh ( I spelled it wrong, but I can find it on the shelf), If I want something "light", Rolling Rock. But, RR is about as bad as drinking lite. It just doesn't kick the taste buds where BEER is supposed to. I haven't had any good home brew in a long time. Home brew is a caution, If your not, you might find the floor.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Maybe we need to catch up....Capt. ****** (opps, did I misspell?) has not yet
got the whole picture...but hey...we need the pups in the biz, no matter how
mouthy they are with such limited experience.

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
There is a great true statement. I love it when company comes over and I have good beer in the fridge. I get this....."must be doin' alright if you can aford that.." I can't help but laugh because a six pack lasts longer than a couple of cases used to. You can afford to drink decent brew if your not killing a 30pack a night!! I don't drink much any more, but sometimes I want a BEER. Maybe even two. I buy a six pack of what sound good, and I'll get around to drinking the rest......someday. Foster's is good, Moosehead, Lowenbraugh ( I spelled it wrong, but I can find it on the shelf), If I want something "light", Rolling Rock. But, RR is about as bad as drinking lite. It just doesn't kick the taste buds where BEER is supposed to. I haven't had any good home brew in a long time. Home brew is a caution, If your not, you might find the floor.

I'm scared to death to misspell words now. Shiner is my splurge beer. Naties are my gotta call customers beer.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Grammar nazis...sad really....

capt ******=hilarious.....

the whole picture=?
its just the internet...not a proposal...

any of you cats ever dig on phish?

bobw
04-25-2007, 07:57 PM
When I lived in Texas, Shiner was about the only decent beer I could find. Back in the land of beer, I have lots of real good options Traditional (or Trad in bar speak) http://www.bigrockbeer.com/ is a nice deep beer.... mellower times call for a good honey brown http://wildrosebrewery.com/brown_ale. You all can keep all the light coloured stuff for yourselves....

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Grammar nazis...sad really....

capt ******=hilarious.....

the whole picture=?
its just the internet...not a proposal...

any of you cats ever dig on phish?

Hey, I'm a northwest native, I used to Phish every day when I was a PUP.

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
It gets too hot here for heavy beers. If you have any light colored stuff you need to unload I'll send an address. By the way I make a fine Margarita.

bobw
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
It gets too hot here for heavy beers. If you have any light colored stuff you need to unload I'll send an address. By the way I make a fine Margarita.

and by the way... I DRINK a fine Margarita :D

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 08:05 PM

They can send the T-Birds to you & I'll send the (gasp) re-named lite beer
down!

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey, I'm a northwest native, I used to Phish every day when I was a PUP.

do you spit tobaco?

is your neck red?

is your sister also your cousin?

PHISH=the greatest band in the history of Rock n roll

let me guess you enjoy Lenard Skynard...

i might be a pupp but i could dig you a grave in 2 shakes of your wifes..ahh never mind....i come in peace..im a hippie @ heart...

nice to meet ya Slingblade

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 08:08 PM
They can send the T-Birds to you & I'll send the (gasp) re-named lite beer
down!

I think you just came up with the perfect name for our brewery mike.
T-BIRD BEER

Wet_Boots
04-25-2007, 08:09 PM
any of you cats ever dig on phish?If they don't play the Village Vanguard, they don't exist. :headphones:

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
lol.....

wet boots=funny....
where is the village vanguard if you dont mind me asking?

and is your neck red?

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
If they don't play the Village Vanguard, they don't exist. :headphones:

Enlighten us Texans. We know not of what you speak.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
O.k. cozy up to a tall, cool T-Bird..that's o.k. Pup needs none quite yet.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 08:15 PM
lol

drinking beer is for the mentally unstable.......

Wet_Boots
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
It's in the Village. Greenwich Village. Live Jazz. Same ownership since 1935

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
lol

smoke pot like a normal american...

Keep on talkin', 'cause you sure make us look good.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
mike leary-it was clearly a joke.....i partake in neither.....

you know what a joke is dont ya?

Look in the mirror and you'll find your awsner.

Wet_Boots
04-25-2007, 08:22 PM
lol

smoke pot like a normal american...You know, some people become self-employed contractors because they haven't a prayer of passing a drug test. :dizzy:

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
mike leary-it was clearly a joke.....i partake in neither.....

you know what a joke is dont ya?

Look in the mirror and you'll find your awsner.

Your "awsner" bites...go to work young man...

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 08:26 PM
i did work today already....8 hrs...i want 12 a day......

my boss= a cheap****
you lack of humor is sad @ least...
yes, i cant spell properly.....
yes, my grammer is horrible..
no, i dont care because its a "internet message board"
I mean you would be a complete A-hole to work for....If you cant laugh and joke around with people what fun is working? I mean....
dude, get on some meds and mellow out...

Thanks in advance....

EDDIE

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 08:37 PM
It's in the Village. Greenwich Village. Live Jazz. Same ownership since 1935

I'll have to put that on my list of things to do before I croak. I'll even drink a decent beer there.

PurpHaze
04-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Don't you forum neophytes realize you've been taken for a ride? Sounds more like "Stagnant Pressure" all over again. :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
04-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Don't you forum neophytes realize you've been taken for a ride? Sounds more like "Stagnant Pressure" all over again. :laugh:

been waiting for that to come up. I second the motion and put it to a vote!:drinkup: