PDA

View Full Version : door to door advertising ?anybody tried this?

jerryo
04-23-2007, 01:41 AM

deyoe1118
04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
I tried it, with my ads in hand just to show what I offer. I am no salesman for sure, but I got some jobs. I would say 10% of what I did on a Saturday (did it on a rainy day too, found more people to be home). You will get a lot of weird looks and some are downright rude, but hey, gotta take the good with the bad.

Good Luck!

PR Fect
04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Better have a dam good handout to show them, if you look anything like me!

Wayne's Lawn Service
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
This is becoming a very popular method of residential solicitation again.

With the telephone out of play, companies can not call as in the past. You may have read in Landscape Management Magazine (I think) about the numbers of companies going back to cold call door to door selling. A result by Tru-Green was in the thousands of new accounts going door to door. I realize none of us are that size, but if it works for them, it will work for us in a smaller scale.

Keep up the hard work. Selling is not easy in any form. Best thing is to role play with someone prior to going out and just knocking the door not being prepared. Always remember, Value sell - not cost sell your service!

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Just make sure that the township, etc. that you are soliciting in does not require a permit to do so. There are many places that require a permit to go door to door. Many will not say anything if you are just hanging a door hanger, but may enforce it if you are actually knocking on doors. In fact, in may places there are even restrictions on when you may go to a door. example: between 9a and 5p monday thru friday.

Some do some don't. It is different every where you go.

daysel
07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Knocking on doors isn't a good idea here.

gbrandlein
07-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Knocking on doors is NOT the answer. Here are a few suggestions if I may...

1- Make up a flyer with a strong headline and then add the benefits that the potential customer will receive from your service business. Kinko's or Office Depot will print your flyers for a song!

2- If your budget allows create a postcard, again selling the benefits that you potential customer will get from your service.

Hope this helps.

TurfGuysInc.
08-11-2007, 02:10 AM
recieved 75% of my residential accounts from flyers, the other 25% from word of mouth, neighbors seeing the quality of work we do

rcreech
08-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I did door to door sales and got some new customers but they were few and far between.

All I can tell you is, don't hang anything on mailboxes (even on the outside). I knew not to put anything on the inside of the box, but I didn't know you could get warned for putting something on the outside.

Just wanted to let you know just in case!

johnsonslawnmanagement
08-18-2007, 03:06 PM
my experience with door to door was far from sucessful. most ppl wont deal with someone going door to door or wont take you seriously.

smoothbore2004
08-25-2007, 09:17 AM
What we tried one year was to make all our flyers with the same info on it, like MOW, TRIM, Blow off and EDGE sidewalks and drive. Then each color flyer had a different price on it. That way when you go into the high end residential areas you can look at the lawn and pick your price then give them the colored flyer with that price on it. This gives the customer an idea of what your offering and how much and they can compare it to the other company they currently use. Or they might just say to themselves "man thats not a bad price I should give em a call". OR just throw it away, but anyway you get my drift. The red flyers would have $30, the blue flyers would have $40, the green would have $50 and so on. Keep them in your truck and if you pass a lawn you wouldnt mind bidding on then throw them a flyer. NO knocking or bothering the customer this way they can see for themself on there own time. Hope this helps I know it did for us.

SoonerTurf
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I still have had remarkable success with the MLS listing. Find a Realtor that has access to the Multi Listing Service (MLS) list of houses for sale. they can run a list of houses that just closed (just sold). Get that list once a month (once a week for me) and either go by and introduce yourself to the NEW homeowner and let them know you take care of such and such yards in the neighborhood to help keep the neighborhood market up. Or you can send a letter or postcard to these newly bought homes and let them know about a new homeowner deal you have for that specific neighborhood. I used this when I was selling residential security systems and tripled my commisions and now I use it for lawn and have doubled the size of our customer base in 8 months. The only "catch" is finding a realtor willing to help you out. I just called around and asked and the one I work with was about my 4th phone call. I offer them a small kick back ($5 for each one I sell off that list which is around 800 this year) and they are more than happy to give it to me because that is $4000 more than they would have had and it takes them about 5 minutes to produce a list. Try it out... it works!

LawnMowerMan2003
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I tried it and it worked; I would go door to door and knock first and if they didn't answer leave a flyer. I stopped doing it because most people said no and I don't really like cold sales so I figured I'm wasting time knocking on the door if I could just leave a flyer. Also, I don't really like people bothering me at home so I like to apply the golden rule. :)

abraham
06-20-2010, 01:03 AM
try supermarket bulletin boards.

abraham
06-20-2010, 01:06 AM
i got about 15 lawns this way.advertised $15 and up and not one lawn for that price.the lawns i got where between 20-45$

LawnMowerMan2003
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Hmmmm the bulletin boards may be a good plan; I have never tried this but it would probably be less labor. I found a place that does full color door hangers for about 10 cents each if you buy 1000. I don't know if I'm allowed to list companies here.

Abraham: I was going to say, I don't think I would do anything for $15, unless it was a small front lawn and even then it would have to be practically down the street to be worth it. lol I'm afraid I would get a bunch of people that didn't want to pay the full price if I did that; and then spend lots of time doing estimates while getting very little work!

TDS Landscaping
06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I still have had remarkable success with the MLS listing. Find a Realtor that has access to the Multi Listing Service (MLS) list of houses for sale. they can run a list of houses that just closed (just sold). Get that list once a month (once a week for me) and either go by and introduce yourself to the NEW homeowner and let them know you take care of such and such yards in the neighborhood to help keep the neighborhood market up. Or you can send a letter or postcard to these newly bought homes and let them know about a new homeowner deal you have for that specific neighborhood. I used this when I was selling residential security systems and tripled my commisions and now I use it for lawn and have doubled the size of our customer base in 8 months. The only "catch" is finding a realtor willing to help you out. I just called around and asked and the one I work with was about my 4th phone call. I offer them a small kick back ($5 for each one I sell off that list which is around 800 this year) and they are more than happy to give it to me because that is $4000 more than they would have had and it takes them about 5 minutes to produce a list. Try it out... it works!

Agreed, this method works great for me also.. My cousin is a realtor, emails me a list once a week (i mow his lawn for half price in return) and i get alot of landscaping jobs that way, and a good amount of mowing and snow removal too. Most new homeowners are very appreciative of someone who comes up and offers to help them out (if i get a "good vibe" from the owners i will offer to mow there lawn free one time as a "housewarming" gift) rather than them having to scan the phone book or online in a new town during the hectic time during move in.

I've done the door to door flyers bit, but do not knock.. usually just annoys people if you knock. Don't get alot of jobs this way, but one is better then none on a rainy sunday afternoon when all of the equipment is ready to go for the upcoming week.

One strategy that worked well for me, especially recently, was contacting banks who own foreclosed properties (foreclosures are public information, and are in the paper every day) and offer to do basic upkeep of the lawn until the property is sold. Some banks already have a company they work with, others are thrilled that you have called and saved them 25 minutes to find someone. I don't take these on anymore because i have all of the full service accounts i can handle, but it was a great boost to my business last summer, really helped me pull in the extra income i needed to expand.

-Jordan

fastpine
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
my experience with door to door was far from sucessful. most ppl wont deal with someone going door to door or wont take you seriously.

Exactly...nobody I known likes it when someone randomly knocks on yer door trying to sell you something..

I personally hate it.

Fine Gardens Landscaping
08-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Agreed, this method works great for me also.. My cousin is a realtor, emails me a list once a week (i mow his lawn for half price in return) and i get alot of landscaping jobs that way, and a good amount of mowing and snow removal too. Most new homeowners are very appreciative of someone who comes up and offers to help them out (if i get a "good vibe" from the owners i will offer to mow there lawn free one time as a "housewarming" gift) rather than them having to scan the phone book or online in a new town during the hectic time during move in.

I've done the door to door flyers bit, but do not knock.. usually just annoys people if you knock. Don't get alot of jobs this way, but one is better then none on a rainy sunday afternoon when all of the equipment is ready to go for the upcoming week.

One strategy that worked well for me, especially recently, was contacting banks who own foreclosed properties (foreclosures are public information, and are in the paper every day) and offer to do basic upkeep of the lawn until the property is sold. Some banks already have a company they work with, others are thrilled that you have called and saved them 25 minutes to find someone. I don't take these on anymore because i have all of the full service accounts i can handle, but it was a great boost to my business last summer, really helped me pull in the extra income i needed to expand.

-Jordan

That sounds like a good idea about doing the foreclosed properties. You can maybe take that a step further and get in touch with the new homeowner when the property has sold. Tell them you did the prior maintenance and ask if they'd like to keep you on.

Fine Gardens Landscaping
08-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Am I misreading the numbers here? Are you saying that you've gotten 800 new accounts this year from this marketing strategy!?

CaptainPike
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM

So the whole trick is finding newly purchased homes?

Shouldn't be a problem for me. My father in law is a licensed realtor.

aarons lawn
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
how much stuff do you buy from door to door sales people? probally nothing its anoying advertise in a phone book ect.

sildoc
03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
The only time we knock on the door is if a neighbor or customer says x is interested. Other than that we buy 20000 or more business cards and run a special on the back. Kind of like a loss leader but really no loss, just a bit less profit. Usually run free aeration with signed yearly contract. figure the 50 bucks I would make off an aeration is far less than what it takes in phone book adds and what not. We average a 15-20 percent response and land 5% yearly accounts and another 8% on onetime jobs. Thing is we only do this in the spring but get calls throughout the year.

Omaha_Friendly
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
As long as you prepared to have the door slammed on you a few times it works. Make sure you have a good opening line but do not come across as a salesman. Something like "hey we are working on one of your neighbors lawns and thought I would drop some information". Low pressure, soft sale. Give them information and facts about their lawn or specials you are running. Do not say I will beat any price unless you want a quit exit out of the industry. Like the guys said above, sale value, not price.

S_Perrreault
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM
What we tried one year was to make all our flyers with the same info on it, like MOW, TRIM, Blow off and EDGE sidewalks and drive. Then each color flyer had a different price on it. That way when you go into the high end residential areas you can look at the lawn and pick your price then give them the colored flyer with that price on it. This gives the customer an idea of what your offering and how much and they can compare it to the other company they currently use. Or they might just say to themselves "man thats not a bad price I should give em a call". OR just throw it away, but anyway you get my drift. The red flyers would have $30, the blue flyers would have $40, the green would have $50 and so on. Keep them in your truck and if you pass a lawn you wouldnt mind bidding on then throw them a flyer. NO knocking or bothering the customer this way they can see for themself on there own time. Hope this helps I know it did for us.

I do this same thing - not color coded, but the same idea - pick your lawns

JFGauvreau
03-18-2011, 07:18 PM
So the whole trick is finding newly purchased homes?

Shouldn't be a problem for me. My father in law is a licensed realtor.

Ya newly homes are always a gold mine for me. New couples that buy a house usually have 2-3 toddles and are very busy with them and work, so they don't have much time on their yard. Most older folks and plenty more time to do stuff around their house.

nancelawn
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
its successful for me.

McClanahan73
05-31-2011, 10:13 PM
I do a couple condo associations that run parallel to a golf course. The back yards connect to the golf course, with the far unit close to one of the tees. I put a couple low profile signs in along the border, that are out of view to the home owner. The nice thing about it, is it is in an area were people constantly slice it. Have had a fair share share of calls, from interested parties. I have also had a few near misses from golf balls while mowing. Golfers seem to appreciate a well manicured turf, therefore that is the type of home owner I try to relate with, not to mention many golfers are retired, and have the means to hire out. Putting signs in your prized lawns, whether residential or commercial will catch someones eye.

McClanahan73
05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
I realize that was off topic a bit, just trying to relay other cheap alternatives to advertising.

Misterbigge
06-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I threw plastic baggies with my biz card and two pieces of hard candy (Brand name such as Brachs in wrappers!) by front doors during down time. I mow as a side line and found about 1/3 of customers with this method.

Snapper Jack
06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I threw plastic baggies with my biz card and two pieces of hard candy (Brand name such as Brachs in wrappers!) by front doors during down time. I mow as a side line and found about 1/3 of customers with this method.
if you want a "SWEET" manicured lawn give me a call:)

LawnMowerMan2003
04-24-2014, 09:50 AM
I actually knocked on the doors at first. I'm not the best salesman in the world, but I don't think this is more efficient than just leaving a flyer. Most people are going to say no, so, in my opinion, you've wasted that time waiting for them to come to the door and talking to them. Let's say that you're response rate (if that's what you call it) is 2%. Then you have to pass out 100 flyers to get 2 calls back. If you go door to door you might raise the response rate a little, but it will take much longer to knock on all those doors, so I'd prefer to use that time passing out more flyers. One thing I will be doing again this year that I don't see very much:

I am making a space on my flyer to write in an estimate. This could end up being a waste of time as well, but it doesn't take very long; in fact you could write the estimate in while you are walking to the door. I'm not going to do look in their back yard though, so I have to put a disclaimer ("estimate based on front lawn"). If they actually read the flyer, it might help if they like the estimate you give them.