PDA

View Full Version : Tecumseh 6.5 HP trim mower carb

evan price
04-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Just got a 6.5 HP Tecumseh powered Stanley trim mower. Has the sideflow carb with paper air cleaner. Mower is one season old. Got it out today to mow and suddenly she just shut down. No compression.
Troubleshoot as best as I could, finally pull off the head when it cools down, discover a piece of red plastic tube jammed partially in the intake valve. Looked like an extra thick WD40 spray nozzle tube to me. It had gone in past the carb and gotten stuck in the intake and blocked it open. :confused:

Was able to get it out quickly, put motor back together. Started with some struggle, but had no power. Revved to normal RPMs but was fluttery and not holding RPM steady. Get in grass and it stalls. Figured, tube had to come from somewhere, dissected carburetor, find tube is supposed to go on intake side of carb, protruding out into air cleaner and is just press-fit in carb body.

Since my tube is ruined from trying to pass through intake valve I scan the mower junkyard behind the garage and find a Craftsman 6.0 tecumseh with similar tube in carb and transplant it. Mower runs great now.

Just an FYI if anyone else sees this. I doubt I am the only one this will happen to.