PDA

View Full Version : Super Tuning Honda mowers

JimLewis
08-04-2001, 04:00 AM
I got a question; does radically hypertuning a Honda HRC 216 do anything bad to it?

Reason I ask is one of my crews learned that if they just tweaked some springs or something up near the engine, the engine would go radically faster. So they did it to two of our mowers. Now the blade moves faster, it drives way faster, and it's twice as loud.

I don't mind. They were able to mow the big lawns in almost half the time today and the lawns looked as good as they always do. So I am inclined to let them keep them this way. But I want to make sure it's not going to do any damage at this higher rpms.

strickdad
08-04-2001, 06:14 AM
they have bypassed the engine govener in about a week they WILL blow up...

roscioli
08-04-2001, 11:01 AM
Would you drive your new truck around at say 6000 rpms all day?

Albemarle Lawn
08-04-2001, 01:25 PM
Then you can do the lawns three times as fast.

You haven't tuned anything, you have defeated the governor!

I would get a tachometer or take them to a shop and have the RPM's correctly set. You are going to deplete your motors very quickly the way they are running now.

kb

JimLewis
08-04-2001, 02:48 PM
Ok. Well that's what I needed to know. Thanks guys. I'll make sure it gets set back correctly.

scottt
08-05-2001, 10:01 PM
I have raised the rpm's just a little and adjusted the cable for the hydrostat on my hrc216. It's a lot faster than before and cuts just as good. I did that about two years ago and it was my main mower for a year and a half and have had no problems yet.

deason
08-06-2001, 12:58 AM
Your guy just did a no-no!!!!! Take his hands and tie them to his ankles and beat the $h!t out of him with a deck drive belt!!!!! DONT EVER mess with facory presets.:blob4:

Richard Martin
08-06-2001, 05:10 AM
deason wrote:
DONT EVER mess with facory presets

You're kidding right?

Scenario:

My Dixie comes from the factory with the RPMs preset to 3400 max. With the blades engaged the RPMs drop to 3250. The manual says that I can spin the engine as high as 3750 but never operate it below 3600 for extended periods of time. 2 minutes with a screwdriver will fix the problem.

What do I do?

deason
08-07-2001, 01:25 AM
Richard Martin writes:

You're kidding right?

Scenario:

My Dixie comes from the factory with the RPMs preset to 3400 max. With the blades engaged the RPMs drop to 3250. The manual says that I can spin the engine as high as 3750 but never operate it below 3600 for extended periods of time. 2 minutes with a screwdriver will fix the problem.

What do I do?

Take it to the dealer and let them use the screwdriver for 2 min. Not trying to be a smarta$$, but things such as engine rpms are set one certian way for a reason. That reason being is where the engine builds the most power vs. its rpm range. Are you running factory blades on your chopper? If not, this may be where the rpm loss is at. Heavier and/or higher lift blades other than the factory blades may pull the engine down more. I'm not saying that different combos are bad for your engine - I run doubles myself.

gorrell
08-07-2001, 01:49 AM
I run both of my suburb'n turbn's and my flatlander at 3850 no load rpms and have been doing so for two years with no problems.............Lynn

Richard Martin
08-07-2001, 06:53 AM
Deason wrote:
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but things such as engine rpms are set one certian way for a reason.

I wasn't taking you as a smartass.

I won't argue with the fact that the factory has a certain RPM in mind when they build these engines. But if you think that they start up and run every engine that they build then I have bad news for you. They don't. They set all engines the same way. If an engine comes through with the RPMs too low or the valve lash set wrong they don't worry about it, they let the dealer take care of it.

There is nothing wrong with adjusting RPMs as long as you don't exceed the factory maximums. It won't void your warranty. The reason they tell you not to is for the same reason Exmark uses non-greasable blade spindles. Because most people don't know how to do it.