PDA

View Full Version : how deep are the lines?

jdlawn
04-23-2007, 02:51 PM
i know that this will probably sound pretty stupid but i am creating a landscape bed around a power box. i have called and the utility guys are going to mark where the lines are. Basically all i am worried about is taking up the grass that is presently there. I was wondering how deep the power lines, gas lines etc. are. If i know then i won't worry as much seeing that it is my first time creating a landscape bed around a power box. Thanks in advance.

sheshovel
04-23-2007, 03:16 PM
You should be able to pull the grass up with no problem. I would not stick a shovel in deeper than 6" just to be safe. Remember, you have to leave space on all sides of the box for work/repair access room. Usually that space requirement is written right on the box.

JB1
04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
around here you never have to worry about electric or gas they are pretty deep, now phone and cable tv is barely under the sod.

Dirt Digger2
04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
they're atleast 3 feet down...the box extends about 2 1/2 feet below grade and the wires come out below that

Scag48
04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
The vault is usually 2X2 feet, maybe 3X3 at the most. Power, in most places, is required to be at least 36" deep. That's code here anyway and it must be in conduit. So, even if you found power, you'd hit red tape that should be 18" above the line, then you'd find the conduit it's in, so if you're using a shovel you'll be fine. Gas and anything else should be down just as far, phone is usually 18" and probably won't have conduit, but will probably have tape.

green horizons
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Try as I may, I have never hit a power or gas line. The phone and cable technicians eventually taught me to make simple repairs, if you get my drift. The freakin' cable company is ridiculous! I've cut cable lines removing sod with a straight edged shovel....ridiculous!

bishoplandscape
04-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Here about 2 feet deep but phone and cable are not as deep usually.

mr mow
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
here 18" to 24". cable doesnt even have to be buried

mr mow
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
your probably safe no matter where you live if you dont dig below 18"

gammon landscaping
04-23-2007, 10:38 PM
becareful sometimes they are barley under the ground when that close to the house or box in the yard. some times they have an issue that close and have to hold it up for some reason. never assume anything

DiyDave
04-23-2007, 10:48 PM
If you are just digging by hand, you probably are not going to hit a line, especially if they have marked them. As earlier post said, there is a ribbon marker above the line most of the time. Also note that the lines will rise as you get closer to the box. If worse comes to worse, and you hit something, keep several cans of spray paint handy, and re-mark the line that you hit, showing that the line was located wrong by the locater company. Saves money for repair bills!:nono: :nono: