PDA

View Full Version : Need help- what hydro do I use in Lesco?

mowisme
04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
hi- I am about to flush/drain as much hydro oil out I can. I'll need to buy some more..but being new to the hydro stuff..I don't have a clue on what it needs..or good from bad brands..or even the weight? It is a Lesco walk behind of I'm guessing 1990-95 era. (can't find tag on it). has a 60" cut and has a 21hp Kawasaki on it. the pump(s) have this info ( Hydro Gear- BOP 10L 117P ) and the wheel motor says..(9 C 22 WF11) one person at a garage said use basic 'any brand' 5w30. But, seems to me each mower has certain types/kind/weight? Please respond asap if can help. Thanks Gene

Restrorob
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Most Hydro-Gear units use 20W40 or 20W50 engine oil, Any quality brand is just fine not you corner store crap.

mowisme
04-23-2007, 09:55 PM
thanks for the info..very much appreciated. The fluid (gas/hydro mix) was diluted down to equilvlent to 5 wgt oil! maybe even thinner.. I almost bought hydrolic fluid for it too..I'm glad I asked. If it uses car oil..Then can I assume it uses a car filter to filter the oil for the pumps? It appears fairly like a bigger car one? Thanks again Gene

Restrorob
04-23-2007, 10:03 PM
NO...... A car filter will not work, They have a internal check valve that will prevent oil flow on a hydro system.

Purchase the proper hydro filter for your unit !

mowisme
04-23-2007, 10:24 PM
thanks- will find right filter. I am not finding a 'lesco' dealer around here (Madison,WI) but will see if other dealers can help. Gene also restorob, do I want 'synthetic' 20w40/50 or just regular? thankyou

Restrorob
04-23-2007, 10:38 PM
also restorob, do I want 'synthetic' 20w40/50 or just regular?

That question is going to open a can of worms.....:dizzy:

Since you are unsure of the condition of the unit I wouldn't waste the money on synthetic.

You can get the proper type filter at many on-line stores delivered right to your door.