PDA

View Full Version : Mulch VS Stone, Never done Stone, how much more labor compared

privatelawn
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Today I did an estimate for 2 yards of mulch $180 which he agreed on but he also asked what would it cost him if I used stone instead, I need to find out how much more hours of labor would it take for stone instead of mulch.

Mulch =$50 for 2 yards, 1 hour of cleanup and 1 hour of laying = $180
Stones = $200 for 2 yards, 1 hour of cleanup and x hours of laying =$xxx

lawnman_scott
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I would say 4-6 hours. Depends on you I think. I'm pretty small and not really too fond of the really physical stuff anymore, so I would be at 6+. Just dont underestimate it, its hard work.

GreenN'Clean
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
2 yards of stone work then Id double my price because stone is a lot heavier then mulch

justanotherlawnguy
04-25-2007, 01:31 AM
for me stone equals 5 times the price of the mulch job. i.e. $100 mulch job would be a $500 rock job. reason is quite simple: rock jobs blow. as soon as you mention how much extra it will be, you will have instantly saved yourself the effort of the rock install...did I mention rock jobs blow..

Babbages01
04-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Back when I lived at home my dad had a dumptruck of mulch delivered and another with rock delivered. The mulch was a lot easier to do and the rock was one of the worst experiences of my life.

If you think you can do it, make sure you price accordingly or you will hate yourself when you're done with it. I'd say 4x what you'd charge for the mulch.