PDA

View Full Version : repairing spindles?

jeffex
04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
how hard is it to replace the bearing in the blade spindles? $100 for a new spindle seems extreeme when its probably just the bearing worn out!!What is the procedure? toro metro, fixed deck 36"

haybaler
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I couldn't say on a toro, but there usaully pretty simple. on my husky I just take the bolt off the top on the pulley, pop the pulley off punch the shaft down through the bearings, then pop the bearings out. if there sealed bearings(not tapered) you have to make sure they fit tight in the housing, if not you have to replace the whole housing.

Restrorob
04-23-2007, 09:21 PM
The hardest part is getting the pulleys off without damage, Here's a break-down;

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/128.htm

jeffex
04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks for the replys!!!! thats the float deck but probably the same spindle. Just wondering if its worth the trouble to replace the parts or just order the whole unit. I rebuilt a tranny for this mower[replaced keys] with restorobs help last winter so i'm not afraid to tackle most jobs. the bearings are cheap!

Jay Ray
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
When you say Toro Metro I see an "Exmark Metro" with a T-handle, fixed deck. I would check J Thomas under Exmark also.

jeffex
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
LIKE THIS http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/048.htm MY FAULT THE toro comes with the exact same deck as the exmark so they only list the one in j-thomas

haybaler
04-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Looks the same as my husky. take the bolt and washer off the top of the pulley and then spray some "PB Blaster(best stuff on the market,it's magnetic)" and let sit for 10 minutes. then find a shaft of almost the same size or a proper thread longer bolt and punch shaft down out of pulley and bearings. do NOT try in any way to pry or hit the pulley off, you will bend it.

jeffex
04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
I'll give it a try

haybaler
04-23-2007, 10:04 PM
also don't buy the toro bearings. take one of the old bearins out and go to your local auto parts store, you should be able to get one half price. just try to get one that's made in the US or canada, not china because those use crappy grease in there(actually this only matters if it's a sealed bearing). or check out J thoms price

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Its really easy, just do what haybaler said in his first post. We can take off, rebuild, and re install most spindles in 15 minutes or so. When you pop the bearings out check the housing to make sure the old bearings didn't wear a groove. Other then that your all set.

Green Boys LawnCare
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
This is probably a little off topic, but has anyone had a blade bolt shear off? My helper hit a metal stake and it sheared. It's on a Toro 36" walk behind. How do you get the broken off piece of bolt out? Can you get to it through the spindle, if you take the nut and pulley off the top? If so, how do you get the nut and pulley off, if the blade bolt is sheared? Thanks.

haybaler
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
This is probably a little off topic, but has anyone had a blade bolt shear off? My helper hit a metal stake and it sheared. It's on a Toro 36" walk behind. How do you get the broken off piece of bolt out? Can you get to it through the spindle, if you take the nut and pulley off the top? If so, how do you get the nut and pulley off, if the blade bolt is sheared? Thanks.

I would just buy a new spindle. to get the bolt off the top use an impact wrench. then just punch the spindle down through. the only way to get the broken piece of bolt out would be to drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use a extractor. you hit it in and then turn it, it has reverse threads so as you tighten it it loosens the bolt. unless you have the tools and have done it before it's really not worth the hassle.

Let-it-mow!
04-24-2007, 11:04 PM
We rebuild all of our own spindles.

One thing you need to check is the condition of the bearing races, that's the smooth hardened surface the rollers ride on. If these aren't perfectly smooth, they'll distroy your new bearings. Replacing the races isn't really hard but requires a hydraulic press to drive them off the spindle.

Some of the toro's need to have the races pressed off of the spindle to remove the lower bearing.

To Green Boys: You'll get better response if you start a new thread instead of hijacking one.

You won't be able to drill out the blade bolt, they're just too hard.

If you lay a nut over the end of the sheared bolt, you can weld the nut onto the broken end INSIDE the nut. Then, while it's still hot, you can turn the bolt out using a wrench.

haybaler
04-25-2007, 08:13 AM
We rebuild all of our own spindles.

One thing you need to check is the condition of the bearing races, that's the smooth hardened surface the rollers ride on. If these aren't perfectly smooth, they'll distroy your new bearings. Replacing the races isn't really hard but requires a hydraulic press to drive them off the spindle.

Some of the toro's need to have the races pressed off of the spindle to remove the lower bearing.

To Green Boys: You'll get better response if you start a new thread instead of hijacking one.

You won't be able to drill out the blade bolt, they're just too hard.

If you lay a nut over the end of the sheared bolt, you can weld the nut onto the broken end INSIDE the nut. Then, while it's still hot, you can turn the bolt out using a wrench.

you should clarify that you don't have to worry about races or presses with sealed bearings. you just have to check that were the bearing sits in the housing isn't worn or else the bearing will just spin inside the housing and wear out very fast. Welding the nut onto the bolt is a great idea. I did something like that on a pto pump shaft that sheared off on an old Massey t35 tractor.