PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis please

mrkosar
04-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a few new lawns like this. It is almost like the lawn is crusted over with tan grass. Not really thatch, but almost looks like dried up dormant grass. Most lawns in my area are blue/rye/fescue mixes and are far out of dormancy though. What do you think? Will fertilizer wake it up or not? Does it need a good dethatching and overseeding?

RigglePLC
04-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Some types of Kentucky bluegrass just come out of dormancy very slowly. Ten days behind ryegrass and the newer varieties of blue. I suggest fertilizer plus a heavy watering. Unless you have to mow it--then go easy on the nitrogen. Check the south side of house--its warmer there--grass should look a little better.

tremor
04-24-2007, 03:07 AM
It's still dormant. Warm weather will wake it up. Blues certainly are slower than Ryes but they'll come around.

naughty62
04-24-2007, 07:13 AM
could be frost damage from cutting the lawn too early and or to low . let it grow out to 3 plus and see what you have . then power rake with flail style power rake . looks like it will be o.k.some people cant wait get on their lawn.

MStine315
04-25-2007, 12:30 AM
I've seen more of this, too, but here, we've yet to get a "warm rain." In the Flint area, stuff is way greener then Metro Detroit, but Metro had the heavier snows in early April that we missed. Also, there's more sod there, too, which typically comes out of dormancy later. If we get that warm, 60 or 70 degree rain, stand back!

fearthedeere
04-25-2007, 07:54 AM
I dunno how hard you all got hit with the freezes and cold spout this spring, but it hit our area HARD. All of our grass turned yellow and had dead tops somewhat similar to what is on your pic. In our area, we were on our 2nd to 3rd mowing on some lawns with 80 deg. weather and then 2 weeks of hard freezes came. Like I said, a lot of grass turned nasty yellow, and most of the ornamentals that had leafed out are done for 1-2 years or need to be replaced even.