PDA

View Full Version : Magnum hopper

RigglePLC
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I talked to a guy who had a Perma Green Magnum today. He said he had streaking problems. He said he ordered a new special hopper from Permagreen. It has one big slot--not 3 small holes. Claims it spreads better and more evenly. He operated at about 7 to 8 feet between tracks.

Anybody else try this?

indyturf
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I have never had a streaking problem but that sounds like a good idea! has anyone found a way to keep the hopper open? I always keep my thumb on the handle to keep it open and I noticed the guy in the tux riding a Magnum has his thumb on the hopper control to keep it open in their magazine ad!

UpNorth
04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
I have not tried the hopper you are talking about, but the 2 magnums that I have don't seem to spread as much on the left side as they do the right. I tried playing with the "3rd hole shut off" but is didn't help. There is no skew adjustment, unless Im and idiot and missing something. But no striping yet!! So guess its not too bad!

Jason Rose
04-24-2007, 12:09 AM
I have the Magnum, however I only have round 1 under my belt with it, but I had ZERO streaking with it, reguardless of how I traversed the lawn (either back and forth or round and round)

Streaking problems should be adjusted with the 3rd hole adjustment. This would be determined by using the series of catch pans and a graduated cylinder to see if the pattern is even. Rarely have I seen a streak using GOOD QUALITY product with the lesco 3 hole design. Junk products, then yes, you will have trouble!

NattyLawn
04-24-2007, 07:31 AM
I have never had a streaking problem but that sounds like a good idea! has anyone found a way to keep the hopper open? I always keep my thumb on the handle to keep it open and I noticed the guy in the tux riding a Magnum has his thumb on the hopper control to keep it open in their magazine ad!

I think my thumb on my left hand has developed arthritis over the last 2 years. One of the only downsides of the Magnum.

As far as streaking goes, I roll with the 3rd hole wide open and the pattern is still skewed. Something you get used to, and I tend to use a counter-clockwise pattern on a lot of lawns. I usually only notice it going around sharp turns on a clockwise pattern because you miss tight corners.

Is the one big hole the Spyker hoppers on the old Centri's?

Grandview
04-24-2007, 08:18 AM
I have used my Magnums for two years. I streaked one lawn. I think the roll pin that holds the impeller was rusted so the impeller was not turning as fast as it should. I did not notice when I did the job but it spread heavy in the center. I replaced the roll pins with stainless steel cotter pins.

sclawndr
04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
The older Magnums had a real problem with keeping the hopper open. PG had sent out kits and info to help but in the end it was easier to hold it open with your thumb and have a strap handy to keep it closed in transport, since it also had a nasty tendency to pop open.

As for the skewing, the one hole hopper you're referring to is a Spyker. It's okay but the 3 hole hopper should work just fine. Keep the spinner plate clean and in good condition and work in a counter clockwise pattern and you'll never streak a yard. I've seen way too many posts here from guys who go back and forth. The PG wasn't designed to do this, especially when it's full, and it's easier to get a good pattern if you work in a counterclockwise circle.

Nathan Robinson
04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
yea, its the same hopper on the old perma green ultra. I like that one way better. Way easier to calibrate as well....

MStine315
04-25-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm glad (I think!) we're not the only one's with the "hold the lever open" issue. I thought we got a bum machine. We've done about 8 pallets of fert. so far with no streaking yet, knock on wood. Clockwise circle here. I think I still like the Ultra better, but time will tell with breakdowns, or lack thereof.

sclawndr
04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm glad (I think!) we're not the only one's with the "hold the lever open" issue. I thought we got a bum machine. We've done about 8 pallets of fert. so far with no streaking yet, knock on wood. Clockwise circle here. I think I still like the Ultra better, but time will tell with breakdowns, or lack thereof.

No, you didn't get a bum machine. Can't believe PG could screw up such a simple thing though. The Magnum is better than the Ultra - fewer things to break, Honda engine, easier to work on, looks better.

Hard to take advantage of the deflector if you're going clockwise though.

MStine315
04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
No, you didn't get a bum machine. Can't believe PG could screw up such a simple thing though. The Magnum is better than the Ultra - fewer things to break, Honda engine, easier to work on, looks better.

Hard to take advantage of the deflector if you're going clockwise though.

LOL, upon further review, we (my tech.) does go in a counter clockwise circle. My bad.

RigglePLC
04-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Actually...if you like one big opening...no need to change hoppers. You already have the proper equipment. Easy.

Close off the "Third hole adjustment" completely.

Close off the "Right hole slide adjustment" completely.

Reset rate adjustment to two stops wider setting. This leaves one big hole in the center. Nuts, bolts, lumps, bumps, corn-- almost anything will go through.

Recalibrate to fine tune the rate. I suggest the stop watch method. About four minutes per bag--if the bag covers 12,000 sq ft. (if you cover 3000 sq ft per minute.) The new swath width may be slightly less.

Shades of Green LService
04-27-2007, 11:36 PM
:laugh: Actually...if you like one big opening...no need to change hoppers. You already have the proper equipment. Easy.

Close off the "Third hole adjustment" completely.

Close off the "Right hole slide adjustment" completely.

Reset rate adjustment to two stops wider setting. This leaves one big hole in the center. Nuts, bolts, lumps, bumps, corn-- almost anything will go through.

Recalibrate to fine tune the rate. I suggest the stop watch method. About four minutes per bag--if the bag covers 12,000 sq ft. (if you cover 3000 sq ft per minute.) The new swath width may be slightly less.

There you go.
John, good job on that.
BTW Have you attached a cofee maker yet to your machine.:laugh:
Seriously, I've been impressed w/your creativity and craftiness, when it applies to PG's.

NattyLawn
04-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I called PermaGreen to order new nozzles for the Magnum and asked if there's anything that will stop the hopper from closing. The person I talked to said there's a hopper assembly upgrade that should take care of the problem. She didn't mention any cost, but we'll see if there's one when I get it.

somo1
04-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I had problems with the hopper staying open too, its in the metal clips that hold the slide gate to the bottom of the hopper. Those Dumba-- at PG used steel on something that puts out fertilizer. I guess they think that it won't rust, I found a solution. Buy aluminum screen holders from a hardware store and replace them. Then just keep the screws tight, mine is sometimes hard to open because they are so tight. Also the spring pin on the impellar, replace with a cotter pin its easier to replace and you'll be able to see when it breaks. As far as streaking, treat about 400 lawns a year and no streaking. Just remember it is patterned after a lesco spreader and throws weak to the left side. I calibrated mine so that I don't have to use the 3rd hole, broke too many plastic levers. Why put a metal lever on the deflector and a plasitic one on the 3rd hole? Hope this helps good luck. Oh and have you tried to replace a pull starter spring yet? You can't get it off without moving the motor.

RigglePLC
05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks Jay--no coffeemaker--but i am looking for a place to mount a tape deck on my ultra.

vegomatic40
05-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Maybe the site administrators should start a whole new forum designated just for these finely engineered machines. Something along the lines of "Rigging/Re-engineering/Re-designing and/or daily repair of my overpriced PG unit(s)"? As you can tell I'm not a big fan.