View Full Version : I need advice on pricing a job!!
Customer has approx 40 ft wide mulch bed in fron of their house. They had three pine trees removed from it and now they want it wiped out and redone. They want to down size it and have new grass installed in the parts where the old bed wont be anymore and new soil put in where the bed will be, graded, 33 plants & trees and then mulched. I am a very small company and I generally mow and mulch. I dont own a dump truck or a back hoe but I guess I could rent them. They called and I dont want to turn it away so I need help pricing. They have a detailed drawing of how they want the new bed to be with specific plants and where they will be and a few stepping stones. Do I have them buy the plants & trees or do i buy them & bill them? How much do I charge to put in the plants & trees? I know how to price the mulching. Any help is appreciated.
04-24-2007, 05:16 AM
This is a great opportunity to learn some landscaping.
1) You need to be sure the area is free of stump grindings
2) You need to calculate the area to be seeded or for the sod
3) Determine the amount of topsoil you need
4) How much is the topsoil delivered
5 ) What is the rental for a bobcat or backhoe, can you operate them?
6) Since you don’t know the plant material you should let them supply them
7) On this job you should charge your hourly rate.
8) Do not offer a warranty on the plants that they provide.
9) Let them pick out and provide the stones.
10) Let the client be your supervisor, they most likely know what they want and how to do it.
That way you are not accountable for mistakes they make
:) Good Luck
04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Depending on your relationship with your customer they may like working along with you on the planting as far as plant choices and location.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.