PDA

View Full Version : Can I Gain

realtree27
04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
What is the best way to gain customers for a spray and fert business? I was thinking that I could send out post cards...I would like to gain 200 customers this summer..is this an reachable goal?

Thanks Marc

Rayholio
04-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Door 2 Door + block leading. This will provide a good response, and you'll be able to grow your customer base in the areas that you want to grow it.

don't waste your money on something with a 2% response, and about a .05% close rate until you're open to having a customer here and there all over town, and the type of customer you will land with this method will be difficult to keep. not to mention initial cost is expensive.

rcreech
04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
I was looking to grow my lawn health business, so I decided to send out post cards. It was the best move I ever made! At the beginning I was getting more calls then I could handle. I picked up over 70 customer in 3 weeks by sending out 5000 post cards. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I paid for my post cards probably 10 X and have a great customer base. You can select what area, income range etc. so you can still select your customer base. I went through Cactus Mailing and worked with a fella named Joe McAtee. They were great to work with!

mikesturf
04-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I never advertise. Just do great work for your current customers and let them know that you rely on them for your business expansion, etc. Do good work and the referals will come pouring in. It may take longer than you are expecting, but referals are the already sold before you talk to them!

Turfdoctor1
04-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Door 2 Door + block leading. This will provide a good response, and you'll be able to grow your customer base in the areas that you want to grow it.

don't waste your money on something with a 2% response, and about a .05% close rate until you're open to having a customer here and there all over town, and the type of customer you will land with this method will be difficult to keep. not to mention initial cost is expensive.

rayholio, how much more difficult do you think it is to add customers in the summer than at the first of the season?

I'm in the same boat as realtree, but i don't want to invest the time or money if the return is not going to be good. Around here, it seems that almost everyone that has lawn service already has their year around service set up by middle of march.

Rayholio
04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Its definately a little harder later in the year. In our neck of the woods, we just had a freak freeze, and temperatures have been a little wierd. I think that may have baught our marketing a little time.

But the truth is that Tru-Green customers quit year round, so I guess it depends on how saturated your area is.

Turfdoctor1
04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Its definately a little harder later in the year. In our neck of the woods, we just had a freak freeze, and temperatures have been a little wierd. I think that may have baught our marketing a little time.

But the truth is that Tru-Green customers quit year round, so I guess it depends on how saturated your area is.

yeah, we got the freeze too. and, i thought it would help with the marketing (another round of spring weeds). So, last weekend, I put out several hundred door hangers. No calls yet, and I was getting about 2% return in signed accounts earlier in the year with the same door hangers.

I wanted to test the market with these door hangers last week to decide if a direct mailer this summer would be worth it. Right now, i'm leaning towards no.