PDA

View Full Version : Need help with flies

spray_man
04-24-2007, 04:17 AM
At one account, a restaurant, the flies are more in the kitchen and less under the front counter sink. Had some in the bathroom but got rid of them. These flies are a little bigger than the fruit flies. They act like fruit flies. Are attracted to beer, sinks, and water in general. I have tried the blue sink drain liquid. I forgot what it's called right now. That did not work. They don't appear to come from the drain. They are definitely near the fruit, and dish washer area near the fruit. Ive told the owner to put the fruit in a closed container. He says it is not practical for his operation. I know the owner should "clean up" his act. However, is there something I can do, to get rid of the problem? Tried glue traps also. At my residential accounts, a little red wine vinegar with dish soap works all the time.

I only have two commercial customers. They both have similar problems. I would like to get more. But, this is stopping me from trying.

Anyone have a secret weapon they want to share?

A.T.A.K
04-24-2007, 06:02 AM
The phorids, also known as humpbacked flies, are small to minute flies that resemble fruit flies in appearance. The Phorid fly lacks the red eye color that is the classic trademark of the fruit fly. Phorid flies are in the small category of flies, measuring up to 1/8 inch in length, including the wings. The most prominent feature of this fly is the humpbacked shape of its thorax. The severe arch of the thorax gives it the common nickname of humpbacked fly. The most easily recognized feature (seen with the naked eye) is the habit of the adult Phorid fly running rapidly across surfaces instead of immediately flying when disturbed. Most flies immediately take flight. Adult Phorid flies are fairly common in many habitats, but are most abundant about decaying plant and animal matter. In structures, these flies can be found breeding wherever moisture exists around plumbing and drains in bathroom and kitchen areas, garbage containers, garbage disposals, crawl space areas and basements. These breeding areas are occasionally very difficult to locate. Although it is primarily used to reduce fly populations, a Gold Stick pheromone trap can be used to monitor different areas of the home. This will help identify the areas populated with flies and help locate their possible breeding sites.

When searching for Phorid fly breeding sources, remember that the larva can only survive in decaying organic matter that is moist. The first obvious place to check is where any fruits or vegetables or stored outside of refrigerators or coolers. Other areas to inspect would be recycling bins, seldom used (or cleaned) garbage cans, underneath and behind large appliances. Do not overlook drains where small flies are often found breeding in the super thin layer or film of debris that naturally accumulates in pipes, traps and drains.

In commercial and residential structures, tiny amounts of organic debris are often found where the legs or feet of appliances, tables or cabinets touch the floor. These tiny spaces can harbor thousands of fly larvae. All small cracks and crevices at floor level need to be inspected and thoroughly cleaned.

Once one source has been located, continue with your inspection. Phorid flies easily follow air currents and usually have several breeding places in any structure. Do not assume that all of your breeding sources are indoors; fruit flies will wander in from nearby dumpsters, outdoor garbage cans or even damp compost piles where fruits and vegetables are disposed.

tremor
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Sanitation is set one. You can spray until the cows come home but if rotting fruit is left laying around the flies will return in days. The client needs to work with you on this one. Orange juice traps worked for a PCO that I know. He set them up so his customers understood the role they play in his program.

seaweed
04-24-2007, 10:36 PM
for the adult phorid flies i use 4 oz invite liquid lure, 1 oz invite fly lure, and 3-4 oz beer/soda in a fly trap. it works well for me - especially when the breeding areas are eliminated or limited. i agree with the others- sanitation is the key. in commercial kitchens you might try checking in/under/around the equipment, sometimes there are areas that collect food and/or liquid debris. sometimes the source isn't obvious so be persistant and remember to check "new" areas. (i once found a rotten banana inside an access panel to an ice cream machine)

spray_man
04-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I know sanitation is important, but, you and I know these accounts are tricky. Most restaurants just don't put a lot of emphasis on cleanliness. If the public only knew. They sweep, and pick up the garbage (maybe) but scrubbing, and mopping the nooks and crannies? forget it. Surprisingly, some fast food restaurants are very clean. They actually build the structure to be easy to clean. I think that is important. Where some of these other holes in the wall, are just that. I did my other commercial account today. A meat store. God, what a dirt bucket. Luckily, salmonella and her sister trichinosis, would probably not want to be associated with this place.

tremor
04-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Note to self: Don't eat out while traveling in St. Augustine.