PDA

View Full Version : Cut wires

Rainman7
04-24-2007, 06:14 AM
What do you guys do when you cut a customers electrical wires not ran to code depth of 18"?
We are usually pretty good at locating and jumping over wires with the machine but yesterday we located a line in a few spots and it appeared to be deep. Turns out we hit it somewhere. My machine only has a 12" blade on it and we ran high to be sure we would miss it.
My contract states that we are not responsible for any electrical lines,pipes,ect. not buried to code or less than 12" deep. Any lines less than 12" deep are to be exposed by the homeowner.
The customer says we are responsible because we cut it. He says we should have exposed the entire electrical conduit to be sure:angry:

What do you do?

bicmudpuppy
04-24-2007, 07:43 AM
What do you guys do when you cut a customers electrical wires not ran to code depth of 18"?
We are usually pretty good at locating and jumping over wires with the machine but yesterday we located a line in a few spots and it appeared to be deep. Turns out we hit it somewhere. My machine only has a 12" blade on it and we ran high to be sure we would miss it.
My contract states that we are not responsible for any electrical lines,pipes,ect. not buried to code or less than 12" deep. Any lines less than 12" deep are to be exposed by the homeowner.
The customer says we are responsible because we cut it. He says we should have exposed the entire electrical conduit to be sure:angry:

What do you do?

This is a feed to a garage or yard light? If it is, then "fixing" it isn't a major repair. It not being to code is. Sounds like your covered on the legal to me, but I would splice it and be done if it meant getting paid. Tack on something for the repair so he doesn't feel like he is getting a freebie.

Wet_Boots
04-24-2007, 08:26 AM
The customer says we are responsible because we cut it. He says we should have exposed the entire electrical conduit to be sureYour customer is full of it. Inadequate burial depth isn't your fault. Still, one might have more carefully probed the areas where the pull was going to cross the wire.

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
My contract states that we are not responsible for any electrical lines, pipes, ect. not buried to code or less than 12" deep. Any lines less than 12" deep are to be exposed by the homeowner.

Hopefully you took several digital pictures with a measuring tape in the picture showing the accurate depth of the conduit/wire you snagged??? :)

Wet_Boots
04-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Getting paid is always job one. It's easy enough to make a reliable repair on a cut lamp line.

SprinklerGuy
04-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Service business....

fix it or get it fixed..your nickel.....

Rainman7
04-24-2007, 08:27 PM
The line went to a post and then a pool. The pool was above ground and taken down. I did not know we hit it until 9pm last night when he called. He paid cash in full. I had this problem once before but that customer paid by AMEX and disputed the charge to have the cost of the repair deducted...$400!! We always do our best to find any lines I think in this case we saw it deep in a few places and figured we were safe. It happens.

bicmudpuppy
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
customer paid cash up front? Then you fix it, as quick as humanly possible!!

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
customer paid cash up front? Then you fix it, as quick as humanly possible!!

Customer paid cash up front? Then SPEND it, as quickly as humanly possible!! :laugh:

<JK> Let your conscience be your moral guide.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 09:29 PM
tell this cat no tikki no laundry.

Mjtrole
04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
We carry, but never use, electrical repair stuff with us just incase, I know you posted that you didn't know that you hit the wiring till later at night but it's always good to have it on hand so a return trip is not necessary.

You should eat the cost, but that's how we used to do it, it only takes 3.2 seconds to dig a "peek" hole when you cross wires.