PDA

View Full Version : Fixing up a tralier....QUESTION...

Toastpuppy
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Got a killer deal on an enclosed trailer. 18' with ramp and side door.
I pulled the wood off the walls and rewelded the ribs to just make it a little more sturdier. Put new wood inside...3/4" on the floors..made it nice. The trailer is about 8yrs old and is a "kit" trailer. Paid less than $1500 for it.

The question is this...
It's aluminum (obviously) and it's painted an ugly faded blue...I want to repaint it either black, or a green-ish color...maybe white???
Id like to do it myself, but have never done anything like this...
Should I just keep it blue...maybe buff it out and try to make it look as good as I can the way it is and touch it up and stuff...
or
if I repaint it, whats the best way to go about it for the "do-it-yourselfer"?
Would i HAVE TO get a sprayer, or do they make a brush-on paint that I could use...or would it turn out like crap if I went that route?

Just trying to get some input...I'd like to just do this once...if you know what I mean :dizzy:

Thanks

jason9696
04-24-2007, 10:19 AM
If you used a brush it would look like crap. If you are not happy with the color and don't want to buff it out, the best route would be to sand down the surface, fix any body damage, prime and paint it with a gun. You can buy cheap paint guns that would get you by for this job for $50-75.

Toastpuppy
04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
If you used a brush it would look like crap. If you are not happy with the color and don't want to buff it out, the best route would be to sand down the surface, fix any body damage, prime and paint it with a gun. You can buy cheap paint guns that would get you by for this job for $50-75.

Yeah, I figured it would look like crap if I brushed it. I didn't realize you could get a paint gun for that cheap...you talking about getting the one of the guns from walmart or home depot?

jason9696
04-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeh, that will work fine for what you want to do with it. You can also find them on Ebay pretty dirt cheap I would imagine.

MarcSmith
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
don't sell short the hand painting. I've seen paint on boats that were hand painted with excellent results. If you get a spray gun, take it out in a field somewhere to paint it...you will have paint all over the place. Plus with the spray guns you will need to thin the paint. to thick, it'll clog the gun, too thin it will run... you need to make sure all your air lines are super clean with oil residue from self oilers or you paint will get fisheyes.

When It came time to paint my open trailer I went to a body shop and told them what i wanted and when they asked what color....I said whatever you have mixed up at the time...$50 bucks later and a few hours it was done. Color ened up being red

You coudl always get a short nap roller and pick up some exterior siding paint. I'll take some pics of my neighbor house that was hand painted with brushes over aluminum siding You' never know it, even up close....or better yet talk to a siding guy who paints aluminum siding...they usually paint "bland" colors find one thats painting a white house one day drop the trailer off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

ChadsLawn
04-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Toastpuppy.. keep an eye out for another deal like that, but make it a 14' er..Im looking for 1 also.. Im over here near Tampa.. Chadslawn@hotmail.com

Toastpuppy
04-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Toastpuppy.. keep an eye out for another deal like that, but make it a 14' er..Im looking for 1 also.. Im over here near Tampa.. Chadslawn@hotmail.com

I will try. I found this one on ebay, and they happened to live right down the road from me...luck I guess?!?
Im having a little trouble with this one b/c it's a kit trailer and labeled as a homemade trailer and the people that had it before me never put a tag on it...they just took a tag off of another trailer and stuck it on there when they used it. So now, im getting a little bit of a run around with the tag agency.
I should know in the next day or two what I have to do. I'm sure it wont be cheap!

jason9696
04-24-2007, 01:44 PM
don't sell short the hand painting. I've seen paint on boats that were hand painted with excellent results. If you get a spray gun, take it out in a field somewhere to paint it...you will have paint all over the place. Plus with the spray guns you will need to thin the paint. to thick, it'll clog the gun, too thin it will run... you need to make sure all your air lines are super clean with oil residue from self oilers or you paint will get fisheyes.

When It came time to paint my open trailer I went to a body shop and told them what i wanted and when they asked what color....I said whatever you have mixed up at the time...$50 bucks later and a few hours it was done. Color ened up being red

You coudl always get a short nap roller and pick up some exterior siding paint. I'll take some pics of my neighbor house that was hand painted with brushes over aluminum siding You' never know it, even up close....or better yet talk to a siding guy who paints aluminum siding...they usually paint "bland" colors find one thats painting a white house one day drop the trailer off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

Were those boats wooden or fiberglass?

MarcSmith
04-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Were those boats wooden or fiberglass?

my dads boat was fiberglass..... had the hull painted above the water line navy blue. It was beautiful

jason9696
04-24-2007, 03:15 PM
my dads boat was fiberglass..... had the hull painted above the water line navy blue. It was beautiful

That's pretty cool

MarcSmith
04-24-2007, 03:29 PM
i was surprised I expected to striping from the brush edge, but there was none. And dark paint shows mistakes.....

Toastpuppy
04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
i was surprised I expected to striping from the brush edge, but there was none. And dark paint shows mistakes.....

Yeah, Id really like to go white with it. It would look best with my logo and stuff.

I had this idea...let me know what you guys think...i want to take a digital projector and hook it up to my computer and project my logo onto the trailer and trace it and paint it and then clear coat it. That was the logo can be as big as I want it and I can put whatever I want on there and it wont cost me except for paint....what do you think?

MarcSmith
04-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Yeah, Id really like to go white with it. It would look best with my logo and stuff.

I had this idea...let me know what you guys think...i want to take a digital projector and hook it up to my computer and project my logo onto the trailer and trace it and paint it and then clear coat it. That was the logo can be as big as I want it and I can put whatever I want on there and it wont cost me except for paint....what do you think?

Not bad, except if you ever have to change something like a phone number or an area code....then you're kinda screwed....

I lived in Kissimee and Orlando, but there are enough colleges in the area you could probably get a starving art student(even a high schooler would be good) to come down and paint the logo for you pretty cheap...The lettering and such help make the logo, and they aren't crisp and straight, it looks bad.

extremerc76
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
use the paint gun it will look 100 times better, and they are cheap. buy you do get what you pay for.
if you want to use it just for doing this job this one might work
disposible paint gun --http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,35.htm