PDA

View Full Version : Help with what equiptment

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I have known for a week that I am going to go full time. Now I have a date June 1. I am taking on a large subdivision with patio home lots. all 300 + homes pay a monthly fee for lawn maintence. It will include lawn care, mowing,trimming, edging, mulching,irrigation, etc. I am not starting a buisness but the developer is and I am going to run it. I am now trying to start a list of equiptment I am going to need to do the job, not brands just basic.

Here is what I have:

Mower ( WB )
Push mower
Weed Eater
Blower
Rakes
Shovels
Truck
Trailer
Spreader for fertilizer and pre-emergence application
Sprayer
Gas Cans

What am i missing?

Also I have the option of doing the work myself or hiring 1 or 2 people to do the actual mowing,trimming,etc and me be the supervisor. What do you think?

Thanks
Wyboo

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 10:48 AM
yes i know i misspelled equipment

jason9696
04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
If you are edging 300+ homes, I would think you would want to invest in a power edger. Are there any hedges or bushes that you must trim? You'd need a hedge trimmer if so.
If you are going to be the Manager for the owner of the business, he probably is already required to have Worker's Comp, so taking on another employee wouldn't be a big deal. I guess it depends on if you can do it all by yourself each week or not.
Hope that helps...

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks that does help. I am meeting with him today. So I will know soon whether I am required to trim bushes or not. Is 300+ home spossible for one to do by themselves weekly? I just think it will be hard to find a good seasonal employee.

Thanks
Wyboo

GreenN'Clean
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
it can be done with one guy but if and when it rains you'll wished you had an extra guy or two helping

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks for the help

pclawncare
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
If you have a choice of hireing some help and the money doesnt come out of your pocket i would hire 2. If how many people you have working doesnt effect your pay in anyway then why are you wanting to do all the work your self? Also you said you are doing irragation you will want an irragation shovel it will save you tons of time and you will not know how you did anything with out it. They are like a spade shovel excpt the wings have been cut off and they are about 5 or 6 in wide just wide enought to dig out a trench or dig up a line they are life saver. Also if you are going to be spraying chem applications someone will need a licens

bassfishin002
04-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I think that you should ask him if you could start a lawn care of your own and take over that subdivision. I think that that would be a great start for you.

CoreyD
04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
hey wyboo.... anytime you need help pm me or somthing im here right at the dam at randolphs landing

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I really can't make it my own business, thats kind of the point of it all. Well we met today and he is pretty much gonna supply whatever I need. Which is a great thing. Also I will be have 2 workers who will Do most the trimming, edging,etc and I can concentrate on mowing and maintaining irrigation.

I will definitely get a irrigation shovel. Also I know there is a machine that will help show where irrigation valves are.

I have thought about a pesticides license and I am trying to figure out now how to go about getting one. I think I need a class 3 but I am not sure.

Corey D Mum is the word on me taking over ( the HOA ) does not know yet and I officially do not start until Monday week. But after that I will definitely get with you on some questions.

pclawncare
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
i forget what the name of the machine is but ya you hook it in through your control box and then the machine traces the wire all the way to the valve

Wyboo
04-25-2007, 08:28 AM
sounds good I will do some research