PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the Isuzu's?

sclk0907
04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking of buying an Isuzu cabover truck with a 16' enclosed bed. I can have a landscape ramp added for about $2100+tax. The total rig is going to cost about $22,500. It's a 2003 with 78,000 miles. Do any of you know of anything I need to look for? and is this a practical vehicle to run mowers out of?

Supertiger
04-25-2007, 12:54 AM
its a lot better than pulling a trailer all day. and it will be better on fuel than a truck that is pulling a trailer. all the Japanese cab overs are more reliable than the Ford, Chevy, Dodge 1 tons out there. but thats just an opinion of mine.

glllc
04-27-2007, 09:19 AM
The ride is vary bouncy and the lack of power is just embarrasing.
It's the worst thing i ever bought.

Live and learn

sclk0907
04-27-2007, 09:27 AM
The ride is vary bouncy and the lack of power is just embarrasing.
It's the worst thing i ever bought.

Live and learn

Did you have a diesel or gas?

razor1
04-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm thinking of buying an Isuzu cabover truck with a 16' enclosed bed. I can have a landscape ramp added for about $2100+tax. The total rig is going to cost about $22,500. It's a 2003 with 78,000 miles. Do any of you know of anything I need to look for? and is this a practical vehicle to run mowers out of?

Was that a diesel?

Did you check on ebay?

troblandscape
04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I have a 99 3500 Chevy Box van with the 350 engine and 14ft box, has plenty of power to haul 60 inch zmaster, 36 Gravely, 3 blowers, 3 trimmers, and lawnboy. Best purchase ever made for lawns.

sclk0907
04-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Was that a diesel?

Did you check on ebay?

It is a diesel with about 80,000 miles. Another question, would you rather have the box van with a dove tail leading to ramps or would you want the open landscape bed?

vntgrcr
04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I can't comment on the viability of the truck for a lawn care situation. BUt I have had one for my excavation business the last 3years and just bought a 2007 with a dump body. The previous one was a 1995 that was great, diesel, 5 speed, slow, but did everything that was asked of it. Pulled my skid, excavator, etc with no problems. And the brand new one is phenominal. Plenty of power with the 5.2 liter diesel, the irrefutable turning radius, compact. Great truck. If someone isn't happy with one, they had a lemon or one that wasn't maintained properly.

stroker51
04-28-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but a landscaper i work with has a 2005 GMC W4500 cabover that he pulls his 18' open trailer with a 60" deere mid Z, toro 36 and 44" w/b's, trimmers, blowers, etc. with. it does awesome on fuel and around town pulls fine, but out on the highway it don't come close to my 96 F250 PSD. I would hate to see it pulling a skid or mini ex. He only pulls his skid and tractor with his 05 6.0 PSD. The guy I just bought my 89 F450 with a 7.3 IDI diesel and auto just bought an isuzu cabover, and said the old IDI would pull his skid better. I know that pulling my mowers it won't get out of it's own way out on the highway, so I'd hate to see what his cabover is like. But, there are a lot of cabovers around here pulling trailers, so they must do ok. I would think that the ideal setup would be one with a 16' or whatever they are open bed with a dovetail to haul mowers, you can haul mulch, brush, spreaders, spray tank, etc.

mini14
04-29-2007, 01:40 PM
my hino fb 17,600 gvw which is 9700lbs empty get 17 mpg empty, and 14 mpg towing my 8x12 which is about 5,500 lbs loaded. its bouncy...so what...beats a 6-8 mpg gasser.any jap truck will blow away a ford or chevy.economy and reliability, a cabover is the easiest, cheapest to work on too. everything is acessable, especially with a dump body.

Tadams
04-29-2007, 03:58 PM
The only complaint I have with my truck is the gas mileage. It is a gasser so I get about 8-9 mpg with mine. I knew that before I bought it so it's not that big of a deal.

I got my dovetail and ramp put on in less than 2 hrs. at Womack Truck Bodies in Dallas, GA. If it's not too far of a drive, you could save some money by going there. I paid $1500.00 for the ramp and installation.

I run a 60" Lazer and a 48" WB and I haven't had any problems with the ramp.

Here is a link to a thread about my truck

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=169422

razor1
04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Tadams, nice truck. Ever have a problem backing or turning with that ramp extension?

sclk0907
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
The only complaint I have with my truck is the gas mileage. It is a gasser so I get about 8-9 mpg with mine. I knew that before I bought it so it's not that big of a deal.

I got my dovetail and ramp put on in less than 2 hrs. at Womack Truck Bodies in Dallas, GA. If it's not too far of a drive, you could save some money by going there. I paid $1500.00 for the ramp and installation.

I run a 60" Lazer and a 48" WB and I haven't had any problems with the ramp.

Here is a link to a thread about my truck

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=169422

Nice truck. That is exactly what I am looking for.

mini14
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
its a big deal when u find out that the extra money spent on gas will more then pay for a nice brand new diesel that will out tow, haul, outlast gasser...and when the diesel needs a rebuild your just throwing in a set of liners and your good for another 400,000 miles.

Tadams
04-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Tadams, nice truck. Ever have a problem backing or turning with that ramp extension?

Not really. It is something that you have to be aware of when you are turning or backing, but you get used to it. It's just something that you have to learn and pay attention to- kinda like when you are pulling and backing a trailer. You have to take turns wide when pulling a trailer- not so in the box. Ya gotta have several parking places to park in at a store or fast food place. I can park in a regular parking space with the box.

Tadams
05-01-2007, 12:02 AM
its a big deal when u find out that the extra money spent on gas will more then pay for a nice brand new diesel that will out tow, haul, outlast gasser...and when the diesel needs a rebuild your just throwing in a set of liners and your good for another 400,000 miles.

I'm guessing that you haven't had any problems with a diesel? Do you know how much they cost to be repaired? How much does a new turbo cost? How much is a new injector pump? How much does it cost to change the oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter? How much is a water pump? How much will it cost to "just throw in some liners"? I did extensive research on all of these questions before I made the decision to go with the gas motor. I am not knocking on the diesels at all. There are times when I thought that I had made a mistake, but then I raise the cab and see the same chevy 350 motor that I have had in several cars and trucks and that I have been working on for years. Besides, diesel fumes give me a headache:dizzy:

AllAmericanlawn
05-01-2007, 02:22 AM
My jap truck (TITAN) will outpull any american V-8 I have driven - Stock.
Although it is gas not diesel.

hosejockey2002
05-02-2007, 01:39 AM
My jap truck (TITAN) will outpull any american V-8 I have driven

That may or may not be true (I know it won't outpull a Duramax or Powerstroke or 8.1 Vortec, all V8s) ,but your Titan is still a light duty 1/2 ton that you can't put more than 1500 lbs. in the bed without exceeding weight ratings. IMHO that makes it worthless in this business. OK for towing your ski boat, though.