PDA

View Full Version : electric impact wrench

Eakern & Dog
04-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Will anyone recommend an electric impact wrench ? I'm wondering if anyone has used the Kawasaki wrench sold by Northern for removing blades.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200318161.htm

DiyDave
04-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Years ago, I bought a 12V DC 1/2" impact from a cheap tool dealer. Lasted about a year with moderate use. Don't know if they've improved much since then.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Well i have used a 12 volt snap on impact it was weak,now i run the 18 volt with plenty of power only thing if you buy it and it does not have the spunk then what.

grandview (2006)
04-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I bought the Dewalt it work really well even takes off the lug nuts off my truck.

extreme lawn care
04-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Autozone has a Great Neck for $50 I believe.

hdtvluvr
04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Got this on sale for < $30.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

Picky1
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Got this on sale for < $30.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

I Paid $40 for the same one. It works very well.

ed2hess
04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
You really don't need an impact wrench for removing blades....2 socket wrenches will do just fine and block of wood for those that don't have nut on top of pulley. Easy to change in field off trailer ramps and don't need to get very high off the ground.

Mark in MD
04-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Here's a thread that discusses electric impact wrenches:

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=112725&highlight=electric+impact

Budget
04-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I did my Ferris 1500 Z 52" on my driveway with a breaker bar and a 1" wrench in 10 min.. Just had my deck all tyhe way up. If you have other uses for it get it. But i don't think it saves time or makes it easier if you are just changing out one set.

Scag48
04-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Impact wrenches are the only way to go, if you're too cheap to save your fingers then I guess you could hassle with a breaker bar. I bought a Craftsman 110 volt impact, puts down 250 ft/lbs. I paid $150 for it, but by the looks of things I could have gotten something else for way cheaper, hope this thing lasts me a while.

kandklandscape
04-25-2007, 07:35 PM
just bought a dewalt from ebay. cant wait to try it out. its used, but only $50 cant beat it!

Roger
04-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I am always fascinated by these threads. So many responses are favorable to impact wrenches. Unless you have multiple mowers to service, I'm unsure why removal/mounting blades is so hard.

I have a w/b with through bolts. A breaker bar with 15/16" socket on the bottom, a 15/16" box end wrench on the top, will remove and tighten the nuts easily. On my ZTR, with a bolt, a 1/2" drive ratchet, one glove, and off the bolt comes, and tightening the bolt is just as easy. These are tools easy at hand in the tool box. I can't recall ever getting injured in 10 years of these simple ways of wrenching (blades changed about 3X per week). The wrenches are only for initial loosening and final tightening, all other turning is by fingers.

An impact wrench (electric or battery) seems like such an overkill for such a simple job. Dealing with the wrenching part of the blade change is such a small part of the project. I spend far more time walking the 50 feet to the workbench, than dealing with bolts and nuts. Getting the impact wrench and putting it away would take more time that can be spent elsewhere. I spend more time cleaning out the underside of the deck (mostly on the w/b) than taking blades off, and putting them on. I would like better, quicker ways of handling other tasks.

What am I missing?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=155344

See post #7

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Well what you are missing is time saved and making a job easy.

Mark in MD
04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I think Roger makes a good point. You don't really NEED an impact wrench for regular maintenance. I personally don't have one. Every once in a while, I WISH I had one (stubborn crank bolts, for example). But nevertheless, I figure out a way to loosen the nut/bolt.

Still, if an impact wrench dropped into my lap, I wouldn't mind.

Roger
04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Well what you are missing is time saved and making a job easy.

I guess we have different notions of "time saved" and "easy." If it takes me 15 seconds to take off a blade, and takes somebody with an impact wrench 5 seconds, that is insignificant. It may take me 90 seconds just to get the impact wrench, and 10 seconds to get my ratchet. And, loosening/tightening three bolts/nuts and one gloved hand (don't need a piece of wood to block the blade) is pretty easy to me. Managing cords (electric IW), or charging batteries (portable IW) is more fuss that I don't find necessary.

If I had several machines to service, that is a different story. A couple of machines is pretty trivial. Or, if I had other uses for an IW, I would be first in line at the store to buy one.

I have many, many more routine task I would like to find more efficient ways to handle, such as transfer of field information to my PC for record keeping. Or, I would like a good fuel pump to transfer fuel from cans to my hand-held tools (trimmer, blower, hedge clipper, etc.).

Budget
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
What about out in the field? how do you change blades when you hit a 3/4" peice of rebarb sticking out of the ground 4" or so? I have never even nick a finger with a braker bar, you always push away from you open handed.

american dream
05-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Dewalt Dewalt Dewalt will do anything you give it.

timmac
05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
i bought the kawasaki just for blade take off. it does an awesome job. i also use it for other things now. i would recommend it for use.