PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions... engine swap onto Scag

buzzard86
04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey gang -

Newbie question for you. I've got an old 48" Ransome with a bad drive assembly but a really nice running 12.5 Kawasaki engine. Found a nice 48" belt driven Scag deck with a shot motor. Is there any reason why I couldn't swap the Kawasaki onto the Scag? My presumption is that the motor mounts are universal, so I'd just have to transfer the pulley from the old Scag motor on the Kawasaki, and then just reroute the throttle and ignition/key wires.

Am I underestimating this project? I've done engine swaps on small mowers without problem, just wanted to check with you guys before I undertake this. Thanks!
JIM

Mr Priceless
04-24-2007, 12:45 PM
sounds more reasonable than to swap a 1000cc Honda crotch rocket engine onto a lawn mower.....and yes, I'm still considering it:weightlifter:

buzzard86
04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
sounds more reasonable than to swap a 1000cc Honda crotch rocket engine onto a lawn mower.....and yes, I'm still considering it:weightlifter:

Hmmm... hadn't thought about that. :laugh: I think I'll try the Kawasaki first and then think about something bigger. What do you think. Is the Kawa swap do-able?

Restrorob
04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
If the PTO end of the crankshafts are the same size Go For It !