PDA

View Full Version : Charge to plant trees?

dhenterprises
04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Hello,

I purchased 1000 bare root trees this spring to resale. I would like to offer to deliver and plant the trees. I also have 4 year old 2 to 4 inch trees in the field that I would like to sell and plant this winter next spring. I was thinking of offering to plant the bare root trees for $30 each - minimum two. On the larger trees, my thought is $100 per trunk inch delivered and planted. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Grits
04-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Hello,

I purchased 1000 bare root trees this spring to resale. I would like to offer to deliver and plant the trees. I also have 4 year old 2 to 4 inch trees in the field that I would like to sell and plant this winter next spring. I was thinking of offering to plant the bare root trees for $30 each - minimum two. On the larger trees, my thought is $100 per trunk inch delivered and planted. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Maybe you should have thought this through BEFORE you bought 1000 trees.
So are you going to charge $30 plus cost of the tree or does that 30 cover tree and install?
Either way at that price I would think they would go fast.

dhenterprises
04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the questions. I have the trees priced $15.00 for single variety fruit trees up to $50.00 for my 16 foot tall Birchs with lots of 8 to 13 foot tall ones inbetween for $35 to #40. The $30 per tree is to deliver locally and plant them. The pricing on the trees seems to be about right but I was curious if I am too low or somehow else wrong on planting.

dhenterprises
04-24-2007, 06:17 PM
By the way, it is fair to criticize me not having a better plan for selling the trees. However, I was given the opportunity to purchase what a nursery had already paid for and could not finalize the sale and had two days to make my decision. So, I am learning as I go.

Grits
04-24-2007, 06:25 PM
By the way, it is fair to criticize me not having a better plan for selling the trees. However, I was given the opportunity to purchase what a nursery had already paid for and could not finalize the sale and had two days to make my decision. So, I am learning as I go.

I hear ya! When a deal presents itself you gotta jump on it. Figure out the details later. I was just messing with you earlier. I say charge what you need to in order to make the profit that you need. It is hard to say, especially so in this case, how much to charge because everyone's expenses are different and the area you live in is different. Area...it is relative. But I would say if you are looking to get rid of them fast and you are making money at the prices you have set.....GO FOR IT.

CkLandscapingOrlando
04-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I do my share of plant selling.And I gotta say,when a deal comes along you better jump on it or some one else will.I would set a limit on miles as well as on trees.Are you using a shovel or auger?You might want to think about the soil conditions in some cases.Over all I think you'll be all right as long as you walk away with twice as much or hopefully more than you walked in with.You also have to think about the fact that what dont sell will need re potted at some point.That cost money...You might want to hook up with a few local installers and see if they might want to buy a few.

dhenterprises
04-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Chuck,

Thanks for your reply. I know I will be potting a lot of these trees. My goal is to sell 400 bare root as that will be past my break even point for the investment. That will leave 600 trees that are all profit. That still leaves 600 to pot and I am envisioning that to be a heap of work for a few days. The mulch will cost me around $1000 and the pots are going to be $1.00 each. I am using the traffic coming to look at the trees as a introduction to my small acreage custom tractor business as well as pre selling trees that I have in the field.

I do have a 30 horse Kioti HST and a post hole digger so I could dig the holes with the auger. A 24" auger will cost me $440.00. So I would have to plant at least 15 trees to pay for the auger alone. I do like the thought of less manual labor but I am concerned with the auger about cutting people's sprinkler pipes etc.

Again, what I was looking for was someone with experience like yourself that knows some of the problems and if $30.00 per tree is realistic.