PDA

View Full Version : Lesco ZTR problem

rbig
04-24-2007, 03:23 PM
I do volunteer work on lawn maint eqpt at our church and Elks Lodge, as well as maintain my own four garden tractors.

Got a report today that a big Lesco ZTR (model 707207) I maintain had "some kind of deck problem". The report was right. I got by the eqpt shed today and checked it out.

Everything looks good; belts OK, engine runs fine, etc. What happens is when I pull the PTO switch, I get a loud "clack", but the blades don't spin.

I believer the clacking noise is the PTO coil sucking the rotor in, like it should be doing when power gets to the coil. Now I'm wondering if maybe the rotor is cracked or something so that it goes up an down, depending on whether the PTO coil is energized or not, but it doesn't engage the deck pulley as it should.

Any thoughts appreciated. Looks like I may have to drop the deck and put a new PTO in. Sure hope not.

MowerMedic77
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
What is that a 60" ZTwo Mower? I would check that the deck can free spin without the unit on please:) Take the tension of the pto belt and spin each blade a couple of revolutions by hand and make sure nothing is hitting under the deck first before replacing anything.

rbig
04-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the response. First thing I did was make sure deck was OK and functional by turning things by hand.

The PTO just isn't engaging. It's trying to, but just doesn't make it. I'm afraid it may be a broken rotor. I may call Lesco tomorrow and see what their take on it is.

MowerMedic77
04-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Has it had a clutch air gap adjustment?

Restrorob
04-24-2007, 08:29 PM
That was my first guess MM....

There is three slots in part # 5 to insert a 0.012 feeler gage and adjust the three nuts until you feel a little drag on the gage. But only move each nut a little at a time because one will throw the other out.

Also, I have seen the spring bands (In Red) snap from hitting things, You would hear it engage but wouldn't spin the deck.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/PTOClutch.jpg