PDA

View Full Version : How much $$ for turning my front rotors ??

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-24-2007, 03:28 PM
My front rotors on my truck are pretty glazed over, im pretty sure of this by the look of them and also by my brakes sucking! So does anyone know about how much i should plan on spending to have someone turn my front rotors for me ?? thanks

Patatoe1
04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
If you take them off and bring them in, it shouldn't be more that $10-$15 maybe $20 per rotor.

outlaw1960
04-24-2007, 10:58 PM
The Napa store here charges 8.00 each.

meathead1134
04-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Just buy new rotors they are cheap. If you have them turned then there will be less room for the heat to dissipate and you will end up warping them. I got rotos for my truck for about 30.00 a piece

MarcSmith
04-25-2007, 09:36 AM
if you're rotors are just glazed, hit them with some 80 grit and a hand sander and scuff the surface back up and get on down the road.

ATL Lawn
04-28-2007, 06:58 AM
new are about $25/$30 for my 2002 dodge ram, and NAPA turns most rotors for $12each here. (ATL)

mverick
04-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Just an FYI,

Most mechanics will turn new rotors to rough the surface a little. Helps with new brake installs.

I have lots of mechanic friends. They all do this.

So, have them do a light job at the auto parts store and you'll be ahead of the new rotor crowd. If they are warped already. Get new ones and have them turned. It's only about $20 more and helps with braking.

haybaler
04-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Don't turn new rotors. go get a set of new rotors and GOOD quality brake pads. the pads will cost you more than the rotors but are worth every penny. Now the key is to properly brake them in. go for a test drive and make several HARD stops. If you just do a lot of light braking that's how the rotors get glazed.

mverick
04-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Another FYI,

When you get new rotors they have a coating on them you have to get off. It isn't oil either.

This is another reason to turn them lightly.

For new rotors it's basicly putting them on the lathe/turning machine. And slapping a piece of sand paper against them to clean the preservative off the surface and rough them up. Don't do this and your new pads get a nice coating of preservative into the pad surface. Guess what, you've just glazed your pads...

Breaking them in is just like previous poster state. Some Heavy braking right off the bat.

haybaler
04-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Another FYI,

When you get new rotors they have a coating on them you have to get off. It isn't oil either.

This is another reason to turn them lightly.

For new rotors it's basicly putting them on the lathe/turning machine. And slapping a piece of sand paper against them to clean the preservative off the surface and rough them up. Don't do this and your new pads get a nice coating of preservative into the pad surface. Guess what, you've just glazed your pads...

Breaking them in is just like previous poster state. Some Heavy braking right off the bat.

I may be wrong but I'm 99% sure the rotors you buy at Auto zone, CAP ect don't have that glaze. turning rotors is a thing of the past.

mverick
04-28-2007, 08:44 AM
I may be wrong but I'm 99% sure the rotors you buy at Auto zone, CAP ect don't have that glaze. turning rotors is a thing of the past.

How do they keep them from rusting while sitting in the box? They're steel.

If they use oil and it get's on the pads, the pads are ruined. If they use oil and they turn them and you don't clean the oil off, the pads are ruined. Which is why they quit using oil. That's why you should always use brake cleaner on the rotors after you mount them too. But before you put the pads on. Don't want to soak them in brake cleaner. Although, it is made for it. Not a good practice.

topsites
04-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Yeah, pretty much, that's what I gathered at Advance Auto as well, either buy new ones or wear the glazing off with some vigorous braking, once you get them broken in they should be gtg.

haybaler
04-28-2007, 10:57 AM
ya, the do it yourself auto stores wouldn't sell rotors you have to turn down. they do have a light coat of oil, almost like cooking oil. just use break cleaner, get the earth friendly less toxic stuff and don't be afraid to use the whole can on there. there's no such thing as using to much, it dries itself. just try not to get it on rubber brake lines or any seals, it will eat some types of rubber.

ed2hess
04-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Just buy new rotors they are cheap. If you have them turned then there will be less room for the heat to dissipate and you will end up warping them. I got rotos for my truck for about 30.00 a piece

Cam't image that beig much of a rotor for $30.....and are they anti-lock ready rotors?

meathead1134
04-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Cam't image that beig much of a rotor for $30.....and are they anti-lock ready rotors?

They actually had 40% more stopping room compared to the stock ones. With the stock ones the brake pad was atually larger than the stopping area. The Gm engineer who designed it should have been back handed, making the brake pad larger than the rotor it was a great design yeah right.

Potchkins
04-30-2007, 02:08 AM
does the steering wheel shimmy when you get on the brake?

if not, then there is nothing wrong with the rotors
try a set of high grade truck brake pads

also check to see if the rear brakes are working properly

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
the rotors are very shiny and slick = GLAZED, from my oversize tires and alot of braking pulling my equipment, they just need to be turned, dont really want to buy new rotors unless they are too thin to be turned but i dont think they are

ChadsLawn
04-30-2007, 11:44 AM
mverick is correct.. I use to work at an auto parts store like NAPA. All of our rotors had this rust preventer on them.. But our rotors were pre-turned.. Turning new rotors wasnt needed..

If you want quality goto either CarQuest or NAPA.. I will not buy my breaks from AutoZone or Advanced..

CarQuest where I worked at:
Cars and lite trucks $8 each
Full Size Trucks $10 each
1 ton and higher $15 each