PDA

View Full Version : Powerstroke vs. Cummins

FearThisDeere
04-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm personall a Ford guy, but I have found a Cummins Dodge that I am in love with. No baching, but whick would you go with? I'm having a hard time finding a Ford in my price range, and this Dodghe is right where I want to be. I like Ford's tow command and mirrors a lot better, but this Dodge may sway me.

LindblomRJ
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Dad had an 01 dodge with cummins diesel. He had it for 3 years and traded it for a 04 power stroke with 6.0. He seems to like the 04 more than the dodge. For the most part we are a Ford Family. Three of my brothers have power strokes and my brother has a Dodge and I have a Chevrolet and a Ford.

T.E.
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
The cummins is a better engine. This is not just MHO do some research, and you will see this for yourself. You also want to stay away from the ford 6.0 they have had lots of problems with them.

lawnspecialties
04-24-2007, 08:59 PM
The cummins is a better engine. This is not just MHO do some research, and you will see this for yourself. You also want to stay away from the ford 6.0 they have had lots of problems with them.

Half right.

The Cummins is a better engine when comes to reliability and reputation.

Yes, the 6.0L's the first two years ('03 and '04) had more than their share of problems. But years '05, '06, and '07 were excellent. :)

MysticLandscape
04-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I love how every bashes the 6.0 I havent had a single problem with mine. I know about a dozen other guys with them an none of them have had any problems.

stroker51
04-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I run Powerstrokes, and have drove Cummins powered trucks at the place I used to work. What it basically boils down to if you're looking at a new(er) truck, pick the body you like in your price range and go for it. Our experiences have been that the Cummins is a more trouble free engine, the Ford is the more trouble free truck. For what it's worth, I spend a lot of time on the family farm out in western kansas. You see a lot of Powerstrokes and old chevy gassers, both on the farms and in the oil fields, you don't see a whole lot of dodges, gas or diesel, other than the ones on the interstate pulling campers. The truck itself simply doesn't hold up to the day in day out abuse of that environment. If I ever got a really good deal on a cummins powered dodge 1 ton dually 4x4, I might buy, but I've been happy with my 7.3's and know a lot of people who are really happy with their 6.0's. Good luck, it's a tough choice.

outlaw1960
04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Half right.

Yes, the 6.0L's the first two years ('03 and '04) had more than their share of problems. But years '05, '06, and '07 were excellent. :)

I agree, I have an 01 7.3, but most of the other lco's run f450's with the 6.0's and have had no trouble with the later years....good luck with your decision.

LindblomRJ
04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Dad with his 04 6.0 hasn't said much. I drove it a couple of times, I liked it for power. He live 200 miles from me so I don't see it every day.

FearThisDeere
04-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the opinions. I would be looking at a new truck ('05 to '07). I like Ford much better than Dodge, but I am just having a hard time finding a good one in my price range. I found a Dodge I really like, but still think I might hold out for another Ford.

sclk0907
04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
My brother recently blew the head gasket on his 06 powerstroke hauling hay. He traded it in for a duramax. He loves the duramax. But I think the cummins would be better if it is in your price range

FearThisDeere
04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I like the Duramax, but I don't like Chevy/GMC trucks. They are just too low for me. I like a big looking truck. The 6.0 worried me a little, but no more than any other engine. The Dodge tranny worries me more.

mverick
04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
DuraMax with the Allison Tranny. Throw that in with the Chevy drive train and you have the right truck.

Cummins is a great motor. The truck built around it ain't.

PSD's are good motors. The truck is durable. But, the 6.0's have had there share of problems so I wouldn't buy one.

The 6.5 diesels are dogs. I own one of these to and did a lot of work to it. Now it's reliable.

You want it for a truck the Chevy. You wanna pose in it. Pick your poison but be ready for repairs.

Gravel Rat
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
A Dodge will always be a Dodge which is a poor low quality low resale value truck. There was a 2006 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4 in one of the local shops I hang around at. Guy likes the engine but says its the last Dodge he would ever own. The truck come from the factory with a camper springs but the truck wouldn't carry a 8 foot camper. A 3/4 ton truck with 1/2 ton springs along with other parts on the truck.

I'am a Ford man too I won't switch brands because Ford trucks are proven. Dodge builds there trucks cheaply so they can sell them cheaply.

I bought a 03 6.0 F-450 and so far its prolly the best move I have made. The 6.0 runs good it has good power and better mpg than the 7.3. My truck weighs 9300lbs and the 6.0 makes it feel like its only 6000lbs.

A few guys in the area have ordered 08 6.4s have to see how well they do.

To sum it up you buy a Dodge your constantly fixing and suffering with a poorly built truck but have a less problematic engine. Buy a Ford you have one of the toughest P/U proven truck built with the possibility of engine problems.

Fords have a higher price because there is a demand for them you buy a Dodge to carry your groceries you buy a Ford to get dirty and work the truck.

OhioMowerGuy
04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
If you want a chevy to site up there with the fords and dodges just crank the t bars some, add a leaf or two and put some 285s on there. Thats what I did and my truck sits up there with my dads 00 3/4 ton dodge 4x4.

FearThisDeere
04-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I think I'm going to hold out for a Ford. I love my F250 and it is a great truck. My dad has an '03 Dakota which has not had one problem in 102K miles. It is the most reliable truck. We have never owned a Ram tho. Thanks again guys.

sdelorey494103
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
How are the deisel 2500 GMC's?

Fatboy
04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I run an 03 F-350 crew cab dually with the 6.0 and 6 speed manual transmission that I bought used in 2004. I traded in my 90 F-350 diesel crew cab dually on it and got more than I paid for it. All my trucks in the last 25 years have been Fords and I still drive the 1981 F-100 that I bought used in 1990.

In the past I've had Dodges, GMC's, and a Toyota that was a real POS. The Dodge was a one time deal too as it was just about as bad as the Toyota. The GMC succumbed to the rust gods. My mom and dad had a Chevy diesel dually that spent most of it's time broke down on the side of the interstate.

There's got to be something about all the trucks that are rolling down the road and if you pay attention the Fords out number all of the others pulling trailers of all kinds. I can't drive the Dodges, the seating position hurts my back. (My old lady has a Lebaron and I can't drive it either). Several of my friends have Chevys and Dodges the same year as mine and they all agree that my F-350 rides much better than their trucks.

The 6.0 engine did require a new set of injectors but other than that it's been reliable and a real powerhouse. In fact the only problem that I've had is the tires/wheels but that's because the tire mechanics can't get it through their heads that they have to use the correct adapter when balancing the wheels. Plus the front rims can't be used on the rear like the steelies can. A tire rotation includes dismounting the tires and putting them on the different rims. Costs me $60 each time. I'm thinking that I can buy new tires for the front for less than all the tire rotation costs as they are the ones that get most of the wear.

The best combination would be a conversion to put the Cummins in the Ford chassis but it's not cheap. Check out:
http://www.fordcummins.com/

One last word, My younger brother is a big Chevy fan and always making snide remarks about my Fords...until he traded his Chevy in for a 2006 F-150. Now I have the upper hand and let him know about it everytime he calls.

Buy the Ford....it will have a higher resale value.

Good Luck,
Fatboy

Dig-It-Landscaping
04-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I currently run an 06 Ford PSD f350 and 06 Dodge Cummins 3500. I give it to the Dodge every time hands down. The dodge tows easier, tows more weight, better fuel economy, RELIABLE, more comfortable, and has plenty of suspension. Plus Dodge road side assistance won't tell you they have "exhausted thier resources" and leave you stranded like ford does on the side of the road broke down in your new truck with 12k miles on it. I had a '95 cummins 150k towing everyday headlight switch, tie rod, and one clutch is all it needed. If you get the ford don't plan on better than 9 mpg (20+ mpg in the dodge). Get the Dodge.

Jamesgateslandscaping
04-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Duramax man, you won't regret it. You can make a GMC or Chevy tall, I put some 33's on mine and its a good height.
James

lawnspecialties
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Cummins is a great motor. The truck built around it ain't.

The main reason I haven't bought a Dodge.:)

Grassmechanic
04-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Dodge, Ford, blah, blah blah. I've owned both, so here's my take. Dodge w/cummins. All this BS about Dodge not having a good truck around the cummins is all bunk. My Ford had wayyyy more problems that my Dodge (injectors, glow plugs, gaskets, seals, elctrical, interior, etc). Ford tranny went before 100k, dodge tranny still strong at 160k. Ford -mileage never over 16. Dodge 21-22 mpg. Ford plastic ball joints needed replacing at 10k, all other frontend parts before 100k. Dodge frontend all original except balljoints at 150k. And on, and on, and on. But just buy what you want and live with it.

BTW - I still have a dodge and a ford. Just not a powerjoke.

Travel'n Trees
04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Sdelorey, I have a duramax 170 k on it it has hauled over 4k tons of rock, not including mulch and topsoil. I have put a alternator, water pump and starter and 2 transmission sensors, and injectors (at 140k gm warrantied). I pull a skid loader alot. it has dual wheel adapters and a dump bed. It has better brakes than my F-550 I just sold, more power, better warranty, (mine was voided in f-550 for hauling a half of a yard of topsoil in my dump bed) In three thousand miles we bought a motor, injector pump, turbo, it ate 4 transmissions (ALL FORD) 1 tranfer case that fell out in the highway in St Louis,) rear end, ecm, 3 cam position sensors, and 4 fuel filters, 3k in tow bills not including lost wages, insurance, hotel bills, rental car. You don't have to worry about the tranny temps, the EGT's, with duramax.

gorrell
04-26-2007, 03:57 PM
If you're not worried about horsepower and torque buy a Ford or Dodge, otherwise it's Duramax/Allison in a Chevy or GMC................Lynn

sdelorey494103
04-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah im thinking about getting one when i save up some money

POPO4995
04-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I drive a Ford 6.0 Powerstroke and say go with the Dodge. This is my first and last Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:usflag: :usflag: Dodge or GM baby!

Tim Wright
04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I was looking at getting a Ford PS, and then went with the 07, old body style, GMC 3500 Dually Crew Cab, Duramax. I love this truck, so far that is.

Tim

FearThisDeere
04-26-2007, 08:22 PM
This is my first and last Ford

Why's that? Any particular reasons?

EMJ
04-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Just for knowledge International (producers of the powerstroke) at this time is no longer sending motor to Ford. on going warranty issues between the two companies. I know that Ford has been working on an in house replacement for the Powerstroke. They were projecting the 2010 lineup might come a little sooner.

Turbo cut
04-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Dodge Cummins is better than the Powerstroke..
Everyday pulling a gooseneck with 15,000 pounds on it barely make the truck squat any at all. They pull like no other(manual tranny tho) and they average about 12-15 mpg and those are rough miles because the boss is hard on the truck!!

On the other hand i really like the Duramax with allison tranny because i have witnessed it pulling a semi, fully loaded with grain.. yes just like the commercial when they pull a semi..i would have never believed it but yes it did!!:weightlifter:

I have also heard about them not making the powerstroke any more which is true. I would never buy a ford because of the problems they have. FORD=Found On Road Dead!!!:hammerhead:

hope this helps some

WalkerMowing
04-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Ok, I am a huge dodge/Cummins person, so I will try to be objective. Honestly I think they are all good trucks which all have their own little problems. I know personally that the automatics in the Dodge have a bad history. However my 96 with a standard transmission has been holding almost 500 horsepower (dyno proven) for about 2.5 years now, and thats working it almost everyday with just an upgraded clutch. Point being if you can drive a standard go with that for heavy hauling, the autos do alright under lighter loads, i.e. just mowers. My 2001 has 250000 miles on it w/ an auto tranny. The P.O. had it rebuilt about 30000 miles ago. That means it lasted a long time. I expect to have it rebuilt due to wear sooner than that though b/c I make it work hard pulling the gooseneck. My trucks have never let me down yet, just stay on top of the maintenance.

My trucks just happen to be my personal vehicles as well, so I play with them some. I can answer a lot of questions on 94-98 Dodges and 1998.5-2001 Dodges. I have done a lot research and know many of the things to look for when buying them if will help you out any, but not much help for the Powerstroke and Duramax trucks.

If you are like many of us who cant leave things alone and you go and add horsepower modifications to your vehicle then hands down Cummins. If the truck is just for a crew to run then, go w/ a better deal. After all its business and your own personal preference.

WalkerMowing
04-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Like I said I am a Cummins/Dodge person so I have to show some of my true colors. Some of you Diesel folks may or may not like this picture.

POPO4995
04-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Why's that? Any particular reasons?

I just had new ball joints, axle seals, and tie-rods replaced AGAIN. They were all done in Nov.2006 and I bought the truck in Jan.2006.:dizzy: I know I plow snow but damn! And there are some other things that i'm not to happy with either but I guess im partial to Dodge's...:usflag:

mverick
04-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I just had new ball joints, axle seals, and tie-rods replaced AGAIN. They were all done in Nov.2006 and I bought the truck in Jan.2006.:dizzy: I know I plow snow but damn! And there are some other things that i'm not to happy with either but I guess im partial to Dodge's...:usflag:

Friend has a 2002 that had bal joints changed after 17,000 and he doesn't tow. It's a 3/4 ton 4x4. Doesn't 4 wheel either. Just for the snow in winter. Mechanic said get used to it. It's a problem with the Fords. Excursion included. Friend had a 99 with ever problem in the world. Gauges go out, windows go out, motor won't start, gauges out again. Tranny out. Ford actually bought the truck back after 2 years. But, that is a lot of time in the shop.

Dodge used to have a real bad problem with power steering pumps. Also, the tranny's and rear ends. Like I said, only great thing about the Dodge was the cummins and it is an awesome motor.

Chevy's had a little problem with the Duramax over heating when you boost it to far. But, stock it wasn't a problem And they didn't build it to run dual turbos'.... LOL... Go with BIG horsepower and even the Allison will need help. But stock out of the box the DuraMax/Allison combo wins.

Cummins is a great motor but there tranny still stinks...

mverick
04-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Like I said I am a Cummins/Dodge person so I have to show some of my true colors. Some of you Diesel folks may or may not like this picture.

Never said the Cummins wasn't a great motor. But, the tranny and rear end and transfer case aren't up to the quality of the motor... Not by a long shot.

1000ft/pd of torque is great. Till the tranny blows cause it can't take it.. LOL

WalkerMowing
04-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Never said the Cummins wasn't a great motor. But, the tranny and rear end and transfer case aren't up to the quality of the motor... Not by a long shot.

1000ft/pd of torque is great. Till the tranny blows cause it can't take it.. LOL

I have seen more Ford rearends blow up on the Sled Pulling track then I care to think about. I saw a Dodge w/ a Dana 70 go once in about 5 years of watching sled pulls but never have seen a Dana 80 go yet. Transfer case? Thats news to me. What model years are you referring too w/ this problem?

You guys cant lump all dodge transmissions in together, yes the auto's suck at least in the older ones, but like I said the NV-4500 in mine holding that much power with just a upgraded clutch. And I test it's metal as well, it pulled 35000# down the sled pulling track one night, drove it home from the pull and was back to work the next day. The six speed is supposed to be just as good.

I know the front ends in a dodge stink something fierce but the engine more than makes up for it. They are all work trucks, they have to be maintained as such. And there are after market companies that make some better replacement parts for the front end to make it last longer.

My understanding of quite a few folks around here w/ that Allison tranny, at least when they first came out w/ that combo is that they were having a lot of problems. Around here, many people went to Ford or Dodge b/c of that. I guess they probably have the bugs worked out now though.

Like I said, I'm no expert, and I wont trash Ford or Chevy, everybody has an opinion. I'm just relating my own experiences just like everybody else. I think for just working any will do.

mverick
04-27-2007, 08:10 AM
I have seen more Ford rearends blow up on the Sled Pulling track then I care to think about. I saw a Dodge w/ a Dana 70 go once in about 5 years of watching sled pulls but never have seen a Dana 80 go yet. Transfer case? Thats news to me. What model years are you referring too w/ this problem?

You guys cant lump all dodge transmissions in together, yes the auto's suck at least in the older ones, but like I said the NV-4500 in mine holding that much power with just a upgraded clutch. And I test it's metal as well, it pulled 35000# down the sled pulling track one night, drove it home from the pull and was back to work the next day. The six speed is supposed to be just as good.

I know the front ends in a dodge stink something fierce but the engine more than makes up for it. They are all work trucks, they have to be maintained as such. And there are after market companies that make some better replacement parts for the front end to make it last longer.

My understanding of quite a few folks around here w/ that Allison tranny, at least when they first came out w/ that combo is that they were having a lot of problems. Around here, many people went to Ford or Dodge b/c of that. I guess they probably have the bugs worked out now though.

Like I said, I'm no expert, and I wont trash Ford or Chevy, everybody has an opinion. I'm just relating my own experiences just like everybody else. I think for just working any will do.

NV4500 is a great tranny. I have one in my jeep. But, it isn't the strongest out there that's been in a truck.

The rear ends on the Dodge was real. You're right, Dana 70 and 80 are great. But on the Dodge I've seen 4 of them on the 2000 and up broke from towing. Don't know why cause it should be a great rearend. They were all stock trucks. 3500 dually's.

I'm not big on the Ford's either. Although the new ones seem to be better. And to be honest. The old 6.5 GM's were horrible. The Motor that is. The trucks were good but the motor stunk. Crack heads, cylinders, rods, blah, blah blah. I've got one with a lot of upgrades. Duramax/Allison saved Chevy's butt in the diesel market.

And, you couldn't pay me to own a HEMI.

WalkerMowing
04-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I was just having a little fun w/ this. Not really trying to start something from it.

Turbo cut
04-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I heard that they wernt going to make the HEMI's anymore due to the lack of sales!!

jtkplc
04-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I've pulled same weight with same trailer with my 5.9L Cummins 600 and with an '06 6.0L and the 6.0 is gutless for pulling. It has no low end pulling power until the turbo has spooled and your turning well over 2000 RPM's. If you want a truck for pulling, don't get the Ford.

YellowDogSVC
04-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Half right.

No problems with my '05 powerstroke engine block but I have started to have a whole host of problems with the rest of my truck and nobody can seem to get it right. At 31,900 miles I am starting to miss my 02 and 04 dodge cummins

-- EGR valve problems (truck spent about a month in and out of the shop trying to get diagnosed
--Going in for 4th time to diagnose, fix A/C which keeps failing
--Battery problems incorrectly diagnosed leading to a new alternator (warranty covered though)
--Muffler rattles awful (just started)
--Tow command replaced and upgraded
--trailer charge wire in factory harness keeps blowing fuses (different trailers that ARE wired correctly
--power steering reservoir suddenly contaminated
I'm sure I can think of more problems. For a $53k truck, I am disappointed.

Fieldman12
04-27-2007, 11:25 PM
I come from a Chevrolet family. My dad, his dad, and several other family members have worked and retired from GM. We have had Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet trucks. I can say my favorite truck straight from the dealer just how it sets is a Dodge Cummins 4x4. The only problem is the one I bought new the motor and drivetrain was great but everything else was falling apart. Personally I think Chevrolet/Duramax/Allison is the best truck out there and they can be jacked up and put in the air like the others. Now if they have all this done I think they look the best of all. The Ford also is a good all around truck except for that new 6.0. Never could figure why Ford built such a good truck and went with a Navistar. I will say the 7.3 motors where good. I use one allot in the spring.

Fieldman12
04-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Not sayong International never made good stuff because they did. Good tractors and goot motors. Had a DT-466 in the dump truck and loved it. Only complaint with CHevrolet is they need a straight axle again unde the fron of the 4x4 trucks. It does not mess up the ride that much. I have rode in Ford, Dodge, and Chevy and they all ride about the same.

GG386
04-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Maybe all of us should get together and take all the "best" things going for our trucks (even that new Toyota) and build the mother of all trucks. Trouble is what would we call the d**n thing? Maybe the todofovy 1 ton.

Since the thread is basically on diesels, the jury is still out on the new offerings that the big 3 is making since the beginning of this year. I haven't heard any rumblings on the new motors, so maybe they did get it right for a change. We'll see.

stroker51
04-27-2007, 11:52 PM

I haven't spent as much time around pulls as you have, but the ones I have been at it is just the opposite. In auto tech class in high school we did a budget build up on our teacher's 94.5 F350 PSD, injectors, chip, intake, downpipe, exhaust, clutch, etc. We took this truck to several pulls, over the next couple summers. One evening in particular, we were at a pull, the old 'stroke didn't win, but there were 3 dodges that lost rear ends. The 'stroke at the time had 250K on the clock. Drove it 30 miles home, still pulls his 30' enclosed with it hauling a racecar about once a month or so. My old boss had a 92 Cummins Dually that lost a rear end at around 100K,and another at 150K before he traded it in on a 99 dodge. There's a farmer we know that has a 92 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 230K, original engine, 2nd manual tranny, 3rd rear end. To each his own, I've had good luck with the Ford Powerstrokes, and know a lot of people who have, so I'll talk them up. I still stand by what I said in my first post on this thread though, pick the body you like and go with it, they are all comprable anymore, you have just as good of a chance of having problems with one as the next. Whether you're wanting to start a brand war or not, on a site like this you will, because there are people like me who have had really good luck with their trucks, and there's people who have had big problems with their truck, dealership, warranty, whatever. They all had good ones and they all had bad ones, I don't know how many of the other trucks have been sold, but in Diesel Power magazine's top 10 best diesel engines, I know both the cummins and PSD were in there, and in reference to the PSD, they said that, "Over 2 million people can't be wrong." referrring to the 2+million 7.3 PSD's on the road.

WalkerMowing
04-28-2007, 07:23 AM
I haven't spent as much time around pulls as you have, but the ones I have been at it is just the opposite. In auto tech class in high school we did a budget build up on our teacher's 94.5 F350 PSD, injectors, chip, intake, downpipe, exhaust, clutch, etc. We took this truck to several pulls, over the next couple summers. One evening in particular, we were at a pull, the old 'stroke didn't win, but there were 3 dodges that lost rear ends. The 'stroke at the time had 250K on the clock. Drove it 30 miles home, still pulls his 30' enclosed with it hauling a racecar about once a month or so. My old boss had a 92 Cummins Dually that lost a rear end at around 100K,and another at 150K before he traded it in on a 99 dodge. There's a farmer we know that has a 92 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 230K, original engine, 2nd manual tranny, 3rd rear end. To each his own, I've had good luck with the Ford Powerstrokes, and know a lot of people who have, so I'll talk them up. I still stand by what I said in my first post on this thread though, pick the body you like and go with it, they are all comprable anymore, you have just as good of a chance of having problems with one as the next. Whether you're wanting to start a brand war or not, on a site like this you will, because there are people like me who have had really good luck with their trucks, and there's people who have had big problems with their truck, dealership, warranty, whatever. They all had good ones and they all had bad ones, I don't know how many of the other trucks have been sold, but in Diesel Power magazine's top 10 best diesel engines, I know both the cummins and PSD were in there, and in reference to the PSD, they said that, "Over 2 million people can't be wrong." referrring to the 2+million 7.3 PSD's on the road.

We will agree to disagree, except like you said as of right now just pick one if you are going to work with it.

However on the competition side of things, that is whole different matter. I dont know what the track conditions were like when you saw 3 rear ends go in one pull. We have the largest pulls in the country here in Indiana, and in my town for that matter, and you may not see anybody break a rear end from any truck family at one of these events. It is rare to begin with. If the track stinks you will see breaks from every kind of truck.

As far as transmissions go I will try to clear myself on this. I never said the NV 4500 was the strongest. I'm saying that if one was to buy a dodge then buy a manual, I used my own truck as an example but I know of dozens of others. Now for you that knows a guy w/ the 92, that is a different tranny. The manuals in those are Getrags not the nv4500. I'm not sure what rear end was in the prior 94. I know my 91 had a Dana 60 in front, but not sure what was in the back. Dodge changed in 1994. I would only use the body to build a pulling truck with a prior 94 Dodge. Like I said previously I did a lot of research on the 2 generations, 94-02. I only know a little about everything else.

We go to truck pulls sometimes twice a week during pulling season (well I dont get to anymore, work comes first and business is growing fast), I think I can speak pretty confidently about this topic at least in sled pulling. Go to any pull at least around here and you will see more Dodges than anything and they always win. Now there are getting to be some really good Duramax's coming around and every now and then a good Powerstroke.

Also, in Terre Haute, we have one of the best diesel shops in the country (before someone comeback w/ well our shop is better, I know there are many others out there). They build some nasty trucks, as a matter of fact if you watch any pulling on TV then you have seen something they built whether their name is on it or not. They build trucks for people all over the country, mostly Dodge/Cummins. Their own truck is ridiculous. Type in a search for Scheid Diesel pulling videos and you will probably find something on them, it is awesome whether you like Dodge or not. They were trying to build a 500 horsepower Powerstroke but every time it left the shop the guy would break a rod or crank or something. Last I heard it was getting a Cummins put in it, no joke. For those of you that are in to Diesels, you might check out the DHRA website, there are some really good events they put on all over the country now. The big event I was referring to here in Terre Haute is the Scheid Diesel Extravaganza. Well over 1000 Diesels at our fairgrounds for 3 days.

I am honestly not trying to start anything, this is supposed to be a professional site, like all of you I am just relaying my experiences. These types of discussions could carry on forever and no one will win (although it makes for some interesting discussions though doesn't it?). If you are driving a diesel you are alright with me. If you are driving gas then you need to be converted:). Diesel Power.

WalkerMowing
04-28-2007, 07:51 AM
I feel like I should add that I realize that a brand war would probably arise from this topic which is why I almost didnt post to it, but from what little bit of this site I have been on, it seemed professional enough to avoid some of the arguing that usually ensues on diesel type forums.

Just to clarify my side one last time, I dont think that anyone's truck is junk b/c its not a dodge or Cummins. I was never at any point trying to offend anyone.

To the thread starter, good luck w/ your decision, it is a tuff one.

FearThisDeere
04-28-2007, 08:30 AM
To the thread starter, good luck w/ your decision, it is a tuff one.

Thank you. I'm sure I'll find something I like and that fits my needs.:weightlifter:

J&R Landscaping
04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I would look for a Ram with a cummins diesel and a 5 or 6 speed manual. I have driven and worked with a few of those and they have worked out great!

Camaross
04-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I currently have a 2005 dodge ram 4x4 cummins.

Its bone stock except for a 4 inch superlift with 315/70/17 all terrains.

I have about 32k miles on the clock and have towed my boat, car trailers with my brother's jeep, heavy demolition derby cars, even pulled out tree stumps with it. Its always gfreat to be pulling something heavy and go right past other trucks up a grade.

I have absolutely no complaints and when it comes down to it I would definately buy another.

stroker51
04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
We will agree to disagree, except like you said as of right now just pick one if you are going to work with it.

However on the competition side of things, that is whole different matter. I dont know what the track conditions were like when you saw 3 rear ends go in one pull. We have the largest pulls in the country here in Indiana, and in my town for that matter, and you may not see anybody break a rear end from any truck family at one of these events. It is rare to begin with. If the track stinks you will see breaks from every kind of truck.

As far as transmissions go I will try to clear myself on this. I never said the NV 4500 was the strongest. I'm saying that if one was to buy a dodge then buy a manual, I used my own truck as an example but I know of dozens of others. Now for you that knows a guy w/ the 92, that is a different tranny. The manuals in those are Getrags not the nv4500. I'm not sure what rear end was in the prior 94. I know my 91 had a Dana 60 in front, but not sure what was in the back. Dodge changed in 1994. I would only use the body to build a pulling truck with a prior 94 Dodge. Like I said previously I did a lot of research on the 2 generations, 94-02. I only know a little about everything else.

We go to truck pulls sometimes twice a week during pulling season (well I dont get to anymore, work comes first and business is growing fast), I think I can speak pretty confidently about this topic at least in sled pulling. Go to any pull at least around here and you will see more Dodges than anything and they always win. Now there are getting to be some really good Duramax's coming around and every now and then a good Powerstroke.

Also, in Terre Haute, we have one of the best diesel shops in the country (before someone comeback w/ well our shop is better, I know there are many others out there). They build some nasty trucks, as a matter of fact if you watch any pulling on TV then you have seen something they built whether their name is on it or not. They build trucks for people all over the country, mostly Dodge/Cummins. Their own truck is ridiculous. Type in a search for Scheid Diesel pulling videos and you will probably find something on them, it is awesome whether you like Dodge or not. They were trying to build a 500 horsepower Powerstroke but every time it left the shop the guy would break a rod or crank or something. Last I heard it was getting a Cummins put in it, no joke. For those of you that are in to Diesels, you might check out the DHRA website, there are some really good events they put on all over the country now. The big event I was referring to here in Terre Haute is the Scheid Diesel Extravaganza. Well over 1000 Diesels at our fairgrounds for 3 days.

I am honestly not trying to start anything, this is supposed to be a professional site, like all of you I am just relaying my experiences. These types of discussions could carry on forever and no one will win (although it makes for some interesting discussions though doesn't it?). If you are driving a diesel you are alright with me. If you are driving gas then you need to be converted:). Diesel Power.

The dealer I buy a lot of trucks from is building a 93 Dodge 2500 pulling truck, and he's been ordering some stuff from Scheid's, and showed me some of those pulling videos, 2 words, holy $hit!!!! And to clarify what I said/think. If I was going to seriously build a pulling truck, it would be a Dodge with an auto tranny by Floor-It Diesel Performance, I won't even try to say that a 'stroke will pull with a cummins, but for my own personal preference, to drive every day, I like the 'strokes. I would love to make it up to that pull by you sometime, when is it?

WalkerMowing
05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
The Diesel Extravaganza is August 24-26. If you have never been to something that big it is something else. Our town is infested w/ diesel trucks during that time period.

If anyone is going to build an auto tranny. ATS parts would be ideal. I have seen those things handle a lot of power on the track.

snowbrdr360
05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
One word.... DURAMAX

T.E.
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
One word.... DURAMAX

:laugh: :laugh:

Eclipse
05-04-2007, 10:47 PM
If anyone is going to build an auto tranny. ATS parts would be ideal.

This would be my last choice for performance tranny vendors.

WalkerMowing
05-05-2007, 06:47 AM
This would be my last choice for performance tranny vendors.

Interesting. I would not buy the whole transmission off of them but would use their TC and valve body. Yes there are others out their, Suncoast, etc, but personally know people w/ the ATS stuff. Expensive maybe, but have seen them go through some abuse and still hold power.

The argument over who's performance parts are better can go on forever. I never said ATS is the best, there is not one of their parts on my trucks. But I would personally build my auto w/ their parts. Never said anyone else should.

TGM
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
while there are many happy ats owners, i know many who were treated like crap. i wasn't impressed when i talked to them. that put me into the dtt mode at the time (which i still believe is the best), but i would definately consider goerend, suncoast, etc.

i prefer the cummins myself. i can go up a hill towing 5k in 6th gear running 1800rpms and hold 60mph with my measly comp box...that wont happen with a V8 diesel (in terms of rpm/torque) ..and i still have power to accelerate. a stock 6.0 diesel will pull very well stock, just at high rpms.

All brands are built cheap. All trucks and yes, every diesel motor, have their problems. CHOOSE WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.