PDA

View Full Version : Power Rake Machine vs. Lawn Mower Rake Blades

bs111
04-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm curious as to what you guys think of using a power rake machine vs. putting "rake blades" on your mower.

By mower blades, I mean the ones like this:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Mowers&pid=07157777000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Parts+%26+Accessories&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Is one method better than the other? Is the amount of clipping clean up time more or less than the other?

I know raking is what I need vs. dethatching, because the lawn was just sodded 2 years ago and is still in decent shape, but some parts have a bit of thatch build up.

Thanks to all of you in advance!

brian

gene gls
04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
I would rent a 40" power brush.....

bs111
04-25-2007, 12:14 AM

To use on a LAWN????

CrappyMower
04-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Many years ago I used one of those on my own yard. Adjusted per the instructions it tore the CRAP out of my lawn. By the time I raked up the loose stuff to take a look I had covered about a 10 yd. x 10 yd. patch.

Suffice it to say I have a nicely seeded 100 Sq. Yd. newly seeded area in my side yard.

I tried to adjust it up just to see if that would be better, NOPE.

DON'T DO IT! ( UNLESS YOU LIKE RE-SEEDING FOR FREE )

CM

bs111
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
79 views and no one knows about these two things and their difference???

upidstay
04-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Rent the power rake. Those "Raking blades" will do an amazing amount of damage to your lawn.

procut
04-29-2007, 12:21 AM
From what I've heard, those things are a joke. I was told that after a few seconds the tines bend upward and they do virtually nothing.

lawnspecialties
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
From what I've heard, those things are a joke. I was told that after a few seconds the tines bend upward and they do virtually nothing.

That is exactly what happened to me several years ago. Total pieces of junk and a waste of money.:)

bs111
04-29-2007, 05:11 PM
So is it better to rent a power rake...or use a front or rear attachment on a lawn tractor??

Gators_Aerator
05-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Rent the dethatcher. Or Aerate more often.

I would wait until the fall to dethatch and overseed. Aerate at the same time.

Then Aerate twice a year for three years, then cut back to once in the fall.

DoetschOutdoor
05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Gators said right what I was going to say. Just rent the dethatcher from any local store, prolly about $50/4 hours

Allens LawnCare
05-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Go with the dethatcher....easy to adjust and with a zero turn with a VAC unit quick pick up

PR Fect
05-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Be careful what you guys are calling a de-thatcher. The best thing I have ever seen is a JRCO tine rake. We " de-thatch " every spring in Wisconsin with a tine rake mounted on the front of the Z with a set of high lift blades and the Vac on. It works the best. Many, many LCO in my area do this with many, many customers loving it. And just an FYI, in the small areas or lawns that the Z does not fit we use a Toro PP with one of those spring rake blades along with a high lift and the bag on. It takes a little work in the shop to get the two blades on at the same time, but the doubles do an exultant job. I think you guys that say those spring rakes are junk just do not know how to use them. We would not be with out ours. And as far as those power de-thatchers. Never on any of our lawns! PR

ajmctree
05-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Where we live, our company does between 75 to 100 dethatchings each spring. Ihave never used the dethatcher that goes on a lawn mower but we do own 2 blue bird dethatchers that come with bags. we have one guy dethatching, one guy running bags to our 14 foot hydraulic dump trailer and one guy mowing.We can do a 4 to 5 thousand sq/ft lawn in about 1.5 hrs or less. other than aerating this is one of biggest money makers per hour worked.
As for the other ways to dethatch in previous posts, have not done them so can't comment but as for the job lawn mowers do they typically look poor and don't remove quite the same amount of material as the actuall dethatching machine does.
Just my two cents worth.

DuraCutter
05-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Are you a newbie? You have lots of posts, but I guess you never know

Power raking machines such as bluebirds are the best. They have the flail type and do the best detatching. The ones on springs don't last as long and aren't as agressive.

My vote is with power rakers. The blades to detatch on a mower are a "joke" and will most likely kill a mower and do a half a## job.

:)

bs111
05-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I decided to go with the front end attachment for raking....then cut and bag at the same time.

I found a great pic that demonstrates what a bluebird will do to your lawn - which would also be an option, but it seems that the bluebird would be better for heaivly thatched lawns. Hope this helps some people out.

http://www.harrislawn.com/Acoymo%20power%20rake%20013.jpg