PDA

View Full Version : Yanmar starter

accuratelawn
08-05-2001, 12:01 AM
Does anyone know where you can purchase a starter for a Yamar Deisel. A guy I know has a Dixie with this engine. The starter is out and the dealer told him there is not one to be had in the U.S. or Canada. It must be made in Japan and shipped.! 90 days and $1,300!! Can this be right?

Eric ELM
08-05-2001, 12:28 AM
I've heard they were around $900 and the main USA headquarters is around Chicago, in Buffalo Grove, IL. Go to www.yanmar.com and there is a phone number listed that you might be able to find a dealer with a starter.

Also check at Dixie Chopper.

A starter going out on a Yanmar isn't a normal thing. I've had 3 of them and still have 2 of them. One is 11 years old and on the original starter. Is there anyone in your area that can rebuild them for you?

I hope this helps.

Freetime
08-05-2001, 12:30 AM
Take it off and go to an Alt/starter repair shop and get it back in a few days. $1'300.00 have never seen a starter on ANY mower/tractor worth that much.

Are the contacts going out in the motor? You should be able to replace these from the parts store (NAPA) $10.00 or so.
(save money on alt. shop)

:eek:

Pauls Mowing
08-05-2001, 07:52 AM
Have you tried a John Deere dealer? My 1050 has a 3 cylinder Yanmar in it.

Paul

John DiMartino
08-05-2001, 08:59 AM
The starter should be able to be rebuilt for under 100 bucks.Bring the battery too,charge it first,let the electrical shop load test it.The battery ,or connections might be bad/loose,making the starter draw too much amperage-wearing it out prematurely.Anytime your starter goes out on a relaitively new machine,Id suspect the battery,or cables/connections.

HBFOXJr
08-06-2001, 09:21 AM
Although out of state, try Trenton Starter and Generator, Trenton, NJ. 609-396-6396.

I've used them for marine and lawn equipment including Kubota stuff and they've been good and reasonable so far.

WREBELMACHINE
08-17-2001, 05:39 PM
I have had two starters go bad on the yanmar engine on my DIXIE CHOPPERS however the local dealer found that my switches were sticking in the start position while the engine was running! As for the price mine cost me $1227.00 + frt. each! And I thought I was being taken for a ride. However the dealer showed me his cost which was $1227 each from DIXIE CHOPPER. By the way a good way to fix the switch problem is this. My dealer put a push button starter switch on my DIXIES and they have worked fine ever since!