PDA

View Full Version : topsoil prep

Gbug
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
How deep do I need to put the topsoil before laying sod? Also, is starter fert a good idea down here in the South? I will be laying St. Augustine. Oh, and to till or not to till?

JE LAWN CARE
04-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Ill be doing a sod job soon. how much are you charging for sq. ft?
If the customer provides tiller, top soil and sod. Thanks

Gbug
04-24-2007, 07:43 PM
I'll probably charge about a dollar per square ft. If the customer is supplying tiller, topsoil, and sod, I'd charge about $300/pallet.

JE LAWN CARE
04-24-2007, 07:51 PM
I'll probably charge about a dollar per square ft. If the customer is supplying tiller, topsoil, and sod, I'd charge about $300/pallet.
I dont wanna charge her a lot, she recomended me to a couple people.
Do You think $500 is a good deal?
You said youd charge her $1 sq foot. Is that how people usually charge?
I dont know how long it will take me, cause ive never done it. But i have to learn sometime and this is the perfect time.
So if i provided the sod, top soil, etc. lets say it was 600 dollars for materials. Do I charge her $1200 for laying it and everything?
Sorry I asked u stuff instead of answering about your posting.

All Pro Lawn Care
04-24-2007, 09:00 PM
hey bug

i think a pallet is 485 sqft. They come with fert 19-2-10 (i think) from the farm. Go to Kingwood Landscape supply on north park and they have a sheet of paper to tell you all of this. If I'm doing it all the bids come in about 800 and 1100 for everthing depending on what needs done. As for top soil you can use it but most of the companys running around your part of town are using bank sand. (depends on if you need to build it up or just richen it) One it saves you maney and is softer for the roots to take quicker. I tell the customers to fert in about a month. It is under 40 bucks for a tiller at eastex rentals. If you want to richen up the soil you can use a fine screened compost at Ace for 8.65 a bag and mix it in to back sand. Hope this helps.

APLC

Gbug
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't worry about adding up your separate expenses for the sod and topsoil. If you charge about $1-$1.25 per square foot of sod you will come out okay. The only thing you might add are your tiller rental fee and delivery charges for sod/topsoil. So, if you are installing 2 pallets of 450 square ft each, for a total of 900 square ft, your price range should be in the $900-1000 range.

Gbug
04-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey All Pro,

I was already planning on getting the sod and topsoil from Kingwood Landscape Supply because that's where I've bought from in the past. As far as the sand/topsoil, I'm looking to enrich the soil rather than build it up; there is plenty of pre-existing dirt. Since I'm putting in about a pallet, I'll only need about two yards (calculated at 1" depth) , so the cost difference is minimal. Does one inch sound about right for prep, and would using topsoil over bank sand help the grass come in healthier? Sorry to be long winded, but I appreciate your help.

BTW, do you work in Kingwood; I don't think I've ever seen your truck around.

All Pro Lawn Care
04-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes I'm in Kingwood and I do not have any signs on my truck or trailer. I'm not in the phone book and don't put advertising. About 1500 fliers put out in the last year. I got a call for putting them on mail boxes this year in Sand Creek (all 10 of them) All word of mouth for the most part. I have about 4 people a month knocking on my door asking question about flowers/landscaping. I'm on Kingwood.com and did KWYS when I did throw stuff out but they charge now. I'm about to down size maybe sell out in a few months. Whats the name of your company? I only put about 1/4 to 1/2 and tell them to water it everyday. make sure it is tilled good Go to ktrh.com and look for randy lemmon it will tell you everything you need to do.

Gbug
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I don't letter my truck either or do much of any advertising. Company name is GDB Lawncare. The only ad I've really done is a listing in the Observer service directory. Thanks for the tip about KTRH, I should have thought of that considering I listen to his show every now and then.

JE LAWN CARE
04-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks GBUG