PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you KNOCK on doors and talk to homeowners?

CrappyMower
04-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Do any of you KNOCK on doors and TALK to homeowners? Sorry if I missed a previous thread on this. I searched and couldn't find anything exact.

It seems that many if not all of ya'll (I'm a redneck) use door hangers but do any of you actually knock on the door? ( like the kid down the street) If you use door hangers do you slap a quote for service on there or just say give me a call?

For many years I have gotten door hangers for everything under the sun but have never called anyone. Yet a few times someone has knocked and had an interesting product reasonably priced I have bought.

No door hanger or ad can have the passion about your business you have and I believe it may be better to get yelled/laughed at a few times to get a few more customers. This is also applying to an miniscule operation hoping to aggressively build a base.

The question:

What do ya'll think about knocking with a quote in hand from looking around the property and how has it worked in the past for those that did?

Thanks to all, please don't berate me too bad just because I'm a ...

CrappyMower

Grits
04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I think it is a great idea. I haven't done it, but I'm a little shy. I would like to be able to knock on doors but I have to work up the nerve. I have heard from people on here that have done it and the results were good....so they say.

Mr Priceless
04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
i knock on my customers' doors that have fairly high grass and have a 60% success rate of signing them on...

CALVISI
04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I too have had some amount of success knocking on doors. If you're gonna walk to the door to stick something on it you might as well knock on it too. I try to focus on yards that need a little help and new construction.

bohiaa
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
NO NO NO NO and NO.............

it can be against the law..... Check with the city your doing this in... Or going to...

I have one city that I service that I cant even put a flyer on anyone's door.

CALVISI
04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Well Bohiaa...you may have a point there...

Solicitation Permits:
Solicitation Permits for door-to-door sales are required if personal contact with the residents is to be made. Applications are accepted from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday for a flat fee of $50. Permits are valid for three months.

I was about to call you crazy then i googled it and found out you are correct. Who would have thunk it? I did it for a couple month last year and didn't have any problems. I would imagine if you didn't cause problems while you were out you wouldn't be bothered.

CALVISI
04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
$50 for three months is robbery, they should be cited for charging that much.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
It works. When I sold Dish Network I went door to door and pulled off about 1 sale per 8 doors. It adds up fast.

Nathan Robinson
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
thats the most effective way to obtain and get personal with the people and accounts!

CoreyD
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
NO NO NO NO and NO.............

it can be against the law..... Check with the city your doing this in... Or going to...

I have one city that I service that I cant even put a flyer on anyone's door.

if theres is not a no traspassing sign or somthing like that.... then they cant do sh!t to you...... anyways.... do yall ever go into a small business that has tall grass and ask them?....

CALVISI
04-24-2007, 10:16 PM
I try to take my equipment w/ me, pull in front of the house and knock on the door. This way they can see you're not a mickey mouse operation. Also, Saturdays are great for this, more people home to answer the door and you won't disturb during the dinner hour. Last year I had great success of Friday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend, lot's of money, I mean customers at home on those days. You'll get many who want landscaping bids too.

tjsquickcuts
04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Door to door is how I acquire 60% of my customer base. It works, and is better then you and everyother tom dick and harry leaving the fliers on the door, drive-way, and everywhere else. Just have a good sales pitch, and know what you are talking about.

bohiaa
04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
if theres is not a no traspassing sign or somthing like that.... then they cant do sh!t to you...... anyways.... do yall ever go into a small business that has tall grass and ask them?....

SOME citys, Like I said I service a city Sealy Texas, that you can not go door to door.. you cant even pass out flyers door to door... there are sgins
" about the size of a speed limit sgin" at each entry point to the city NO door to door....

Guys check before doing this. you could get into a ton of trouble. most people dont care but there will allways be that one that will call and they will have your flyer in there hand....

Grits
04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
SOME citys, Like I said I service a city Sealy Texas, that you can not go door to door.. you cant even pass out flyers door to door... there are sgins
" about the size of a speed limit sgin" at each entry point to the city NO door to door....

Guys check before doing this. you could get into a ton of trouble. most people dont care but there will allways be that one that will call and they will have your flyer in there hand....

I seriously doubt you would get in to "a ton of trouble". I say, the benefits would out-weigh the risk....GO FOR IT.

apowell18
04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't think they will do anything to you if a permit is required. I put up signs on corners and at intersections for my deck and fence operation a few weeks ago. Got a call that Monday from the city saying I am in violation of city code and need to remove them or face a fine. I called back to the city codes office and the receptionist said they don't fine anyone because it is a hassle. I figured the city workers who mow those areas would remove the signs when they came through. Just last night I noticed that those areas have been mowed and the signs had been put back in their spot. Love the city workers.

The point is don't worry about a permit

zz4guy
04-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I guess if you have nothing better to do you might as well. But it doesnt seem like the amount of return on time invested is worth it to me. I can make $30/hr at my other job so my time is better spent doing that and then have a company send my mailers. And if somebody takes the initiative to actually CALL you (instead of under pressure from you standing at their door) they are probably going to be a solid customer. But to each his own...

CoreyD
04-25-2007, 01:30 PM

wow... your city sucks.... no wounder i dont live there :laugh: .... but as long as theres a sign that says no door to door " which i have never seen before" ... then id stay away