PDA

View Full Version : Are they going to take over?

outrunjason
04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Who you ask? Mexicans. (Nothing against Mexicans)

I ask this because of something that has happened here in dfw area. This year I didn't even put out 5,000 flyers and I was overwhelmed with calls. Almost every call that I got the person said it was time to mow and they couldn't find the Mexican guy that they had in years past.

So, now that I am swamped with work I tried to get a good crew together and for a while I couldn't. The day labor centers had almost no guys there. Well I was told that the borders are so tight that the Mexicans have not been able to get back here as easily as before and therefore it has spiked an increase in business for us and others.

This got me thinking. Has the last few years of my work actually been going to the maybe illegal Hispanic? If it has then what is to come in the future. I gained more customers this year then I had in almost 2 years combined. So, in 5 years am I going to be advertising and spending a lot of money but the average customer is going to hire the illegal mexican instead? What about 15 years, where will this business be?

Just a lot of questions I have. But, has anyone heard this same rumor that they are having a hard time getting back? I heard this from several people and from a very valuable source.

Thanks, Jason

lifetree
04-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I say GREAT ... that they have to enter the country legally.

outrunjason
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree 100%. I just didn't realize that all this time here I am spending thousands in advertising and then this year I can't even get out 5,000 and all the calls that I get they have said that there mexican guy didn't show up this year.

All this time I thought I was competing with other local companies with a name but infact it might have just been the mexican guy that left a card on about 10,000 doors.

talonracn49
04-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I watch one work across the street from a couple of my lawns. All the lady does is brag about how cheap he is.

Great! Is he insured? Uhh, I dont know. Business license? I dont know. Is he even a legal citizen? Hmmm, he doesnt speak english so it is kindof hard to let him know what I want done.

Thank you for being a part of the border problem and taking food off the table of good honest hard working americans, who do the jobs that "americans wont do" -- have a great day.

Not saying that I would have her as a customer...and I do try to blow all my clippings in her lawns general direction...:)

AL Inc
04-27-2007, 06:30 AM
There are definitely some very successful Hispanic owned companies here, and I have found that those guys are pretty much on the same page as me as far as pricing. On the other hand, there are lots of others running around in junk trucks with no insurance or business license. Those are the guys killing the prices. But now I am noticing a lot of turnover with them, I think they are realizing it is not easy to run a business and be successful. So I have actually picked up some new clients that were using these companies in the past and they just dissappeared.
A few years ago, we had an early snow in December, and were nowhere near being finished with clean-ups. I waited two weeks, the weather got mild, and we were able to finish on January 10th or so. I kept everyone posted on what was happening and people were OK with it. Do you think the non english speaking guys did that? No, they disappeared. And the following spring, I picked up some of their clients who weren't finished in the fall. As far as these guys being business professionals, they have a long way to go.

GreenN'Clean
04-27-2007, 08:12 AM
I watch one work across the street from a couple of my lawns. All the lady does is brag about how cheap he is.

Great! Is he insured? Uhh, I dont know. Business license? I dont know. Is he even a legal citizen? Hmmm, he doesnt speak english so it is kindof hard to let him know what I want done.

Thank you for being a part of the border problem and taking food off the table of good honest hard working americans, who do the jobs that "americans wont do" -- have a great day.

Not saying that I would have her as a customer...and I do try to blow all my clippings in her lawns general direction...:)

I hate the people like the woman your speaking about they will complain about how bad America is getting and jobs being lost and etc but there the ones helping to create taxes going up, health care going up, loss of jobs etc from hiring the cheap illegals to cut there grass just to save themselves a buck. Everything is fine and dandy as long as the woman is saving some money using the illegal until something happens and a rock goes through her window and then she will go through the roof when she can't get the illegal to cover the cost of the broken window....

Lawnworks
04-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Just do what you do best and w/ passion and you won't have to worry about it. BTW, I love hispanics... that is all I will hire.

outrunjason
04-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Oh I love mexicans. They work so hard. I believe if you work that hard then you deserve a good pay. I don't pay the best but try to.

talonracn49
04-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Just to make this absolutely clear.

I have zero problems with a man/woman of any nationality coming into this country legally and competing in this business legally.

Just wanted to be 100% clear on that.

outrunjason
04-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree on that also. I don't even think that has to be said. They know what is right and wrong. I actually can't believe how bad it is there. What like 70 bucks is a weeks pay?