PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meters..are you a idiot if you've not one?

Mike Leary
04-24-2007, 07:42 PM
We've used the Lincoln Irrigation 12" probe for years, we've sent them back
for re-grooving every few years as the probe wears. It's been a huge part
of establishing "historical" run times in our sites over the years.am leonard.com

Remote Pigtails
04-24-2007, 08:05 PM
We've used the Lincoln Irrigation 12" probe for years, we've sent them back
for re-grooving every few years as the probe wears. It's been a huge part
of establishing "historical" run times in our sites over the years.am leonard.com

Thanks Mike

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Mike-I didn't find it at leonard but I did find the lincoln at forestry supplies. it comes in 9" 24" or 36". I'm thinking a 9" is all I need. What do you suggest and why. Thanks

PurpHaze
04-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm not Mike... but I'd think the 9" probe would be adequate for most landscape needs. :)

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3052

Remote Pigtails
04-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm not Mike... but I'd think the 9" probe would be adequate for most landscape needs. :)

Are you thinking about getting one or have you tried one and have an opinion on accuracy?

PurpHaze
04-25-2007, 08:32 AM
The last time I used one was probably about 15 years ago while taking a soils class at a local college. We set up a test area and had four probes installed at various depths and then tracked the statistics over an entire semester. They were OK but I'm sure the technology has improved since then.

I do know they had (or maybe still have) controllers that work off of soil potentiometers and our experience with them was terrible.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 10:48 AM

Forestry suppliers are a great company I've been doing biz with for years, neat catalogs! The reason I used the 12" is..da da!...You don't have to bend
over so much!!!!!!

andersa
04-25-2007, 02:31 PM
That's a cool device!

What moisture level should one keep in the ground for a healthy lawn? E.g., above 5? below 9?

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
That's a cool device!

What moisture level should one keep in the ground for a healthy lawn? E.g., above 5? below 9?

The meter comes with a sheet explaining what readings for various types
of turf & plant materials are optimum. The bottom line takes some experience
with the meter: what you want is to first saturate the soil & let it dry to just
above "wilt point". By keeping track of days before irrigation, you are better
able to set the controller. Remember to insert the probe to the bottom of
the root zone. It's a big help..be carefull to avoid bending the probe in hard
soils.

andersa
04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Suonds great. I may get myself one.

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Suonds great. I may get myself one.

I think it's extra important with low-precip. (MP Rotators) & drip zones,
you want to get to the bottom of the root zone, as shallow irrigation causes
the roots to not "dive" deeper looking for moisture.

andersa
04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
True.
Haven't been able to play much with the MP rotators since I installed them; we got 1/2" of rain Sunday and another 2" in the last 36 hours or so. and it is still raining... I do expect to run the MP zone x2 or x3 of what I used to do with the spray, which used to be 15 - 20 minutes or so during the worst heat/drought period. But as quiet as it is now, I can run it at 4 AM without noticing it :)