PDA

View Full Version : looking for a tool

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
I am looking for a tool that will detect valve sites. Looking to buy or if possible rent. From what I have been told they are expensive

bicmudpuppy
04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
I am looking for a tool that will detect valve sites. Looking to buy or if possible rent. From what I have been told they are expensive

I can detect valve sites from a long way off w/o any additional tools :)

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 10:00 PM
A wire tracker like the Progressive 521 wll track the irrigation wires to a valve but they're expensive. Some rental places may rent them. There are also other devices that you hook to the valve wires at the controller and they'll "chatter" the solenoid constantly so you can hear it through the ground if the valve isn't too deep. I've never used them because they don't fit our situation. We own the 521.

PurpHaze
04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I can detect valve sites from a long way off w/o any additional tools :)

Bryan (caressing a Lawn Genie beer): "Yup... I detect that there are some valve sites out there on my golf course." (as he fires a zone and just looks for the sprinkler head locations since they're all valve-in-head sprinklers) :laugh:

irrig8r
04-24-2007, 10:09 PM
If you are just trying to find lost valves, and they're not buried too deep, first thing to try is a Chatterbox. I've located them in boxes under several inches of ivy with one.

http://thesource-online.com/Chatterbox%20instruction.pdf

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I think it depends on the amount of service/locating being done. We have a
chatterbox, used once...valve has to be VERY shallow to hear the chattering.
The 521 would my choice if I was doing a lot..yass, pricey..but it made us a
large amount of money & saved tons of time.

Greenguy1
04-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Do you have a friend in the phone industry? they all have locating devices and often have an old one that they no longer use (Hound dog) etc. they all keep state of the art equip. so the old ones are often discarded or sold cheap. the best way is to keep all the valves in one location near the vacuum breaker and you won't have to search the entire lawn for the valves, I know that is not always possible but for the smaller 4-8 zone systems it's the best way, I know some may disagree