PDA

View Full Version : Learning Spanish

Wyboo
04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I am going to soon be employing some Spanish workers. They do not know much english and I know a small amount of Spanish. I would like to learn more but do not have the time to sit down and take a class. Anyone have any good books they have worked or audio they have listned too that actuall worked.

Thanks

Wyboo

DBL
04-24-2007, 09:12 PM
just wait and let them teach you thats what i did....im not fluent but i get through the day

capelawncare.com
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Why dont you tell them to learn ENGLISH. Who is working for who? Anyway?

NMS0219
04-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm with capelawncare tell THEM to learn english. I've got better things to do than learn spanish.

capelawncare.com
04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
This is the goddam problem with America. We hire people who cant speak our language, probably dont pay taxes, probably without health, life, accident, or auto insurance. And want AMERICANS to learn their language, so they can work for us!

I wont even go into ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT DEBATE. But the next time your whining about your health care and insurance costs, think about the 12 million ILLEGALS who are jacking up your bill.

Nuff Said!

lawnman_scott
04-24-2007, 11:32 PM
This is the goddam problem with America. We hire people who cant speak our language, probably dont pay taxes, probably without health, life, accident, or auto insurance. And want AMERICANS to learn their language, so they can work for us!

I wont even go into ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT DEBATE. But the next time your whining about your health care and insurance costs, think about the 12 million ILLEGALS who are jacking up your bill.

Nuff Said!Most lawn employees will get a refund anyway. And most dont have health, life, or accident insurance citizen or not. The actual problem with america is that we have too many lazy people who wont work a job tht is too hard physically.

Nelawnguy
04-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Why not hire some high school or colllege kids? Oh I forgot no one wants to do this job so a illegal will do it.

capelawncare.com
04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Why not hire some high school or colllege kids? Oh I forgot no one wants to do this job so a illegal will do it.

that funny, i just read a post about guys complaining about too much competition

Darrin A.
04-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm with capelawncare tell THEM to learn english. I've got better things to do than learn spanish.

ditto:usflag:

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I agree.

Make HIM learn YOUR language. Or do you want to coddle him, like everyone else seems to want to do?

Don't speak English? Won't learn? Take a f-in hike...

scuba875
04-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Most lawn employees will get a refund anyway. And most dont have health, life, or accident insurance citizen or not. The actual problem with america is that we have too many lazy people who wont work a job tht is too hard physically.

Isn't that the truth, we have hired high school and college age people and not one of them have lasted a week. Most complain the work is to hard. I had one 20 year old quit because he didn't have enough time to play video games. I don't know what the answer is but for now the H2B workers seem to be the answer for a lot of businesses from landscaping to carnivals and amusement parks. One of the carnivals I do repair work for just got 21 from Mexico and these guys while limited by the language are the hardest working guys I have ever seen. I asked the owner and they all have to get social security cards and they all have to pay taxes so as long as they are paying in to the system I don't see a problem with it.

Wyboo
04-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Wow, I did no tmean for it to get all serious. I Do expect the workers to learn English but I alos would not mind learning spanish as well. I like to travel and I think spanish is the easiest to learn and most widely used. Believe it or not fellas but learning another language opens alot of doors for you.
Oh and I alos like to know what they are saying about me at the resteraunts.

Darrin A.
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Wyboo,
I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T learn spanish, just that there are so many people coming to the states that don't and WON'T learn english. I am also a volunteer EMT and it is very hard for me to help people when they have lived in this are for years and don't speak english. I don't have a problem with visitors (vacationers) not learning.

Wyboo
04-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Oh I definetley understnad where you are coming from and it pisses me off to have to choose whether I want to hear something in Spanish or In English or haveing to choose a language on an atm.

bamacutter
04-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Check this book out! I used it when working with two Spanish guys. We worked together on a crew for about a year. They would teach me Spanish and I would teach them English after that year I could speak Spanish very well. This book really helped me.

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Phrases-Landscaping-Professionals-Holben/dp/0965971716

Sammy
04-26-2007, 08:22 AM
They are in America, have them learn Americanize.

GreenN'Clean
04-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Make him learn English why in the hell should you learn Spanish? Do you know of any other country that will learn another countries language just so they can hire an employee? Only in America and its pathetic

GreenN'Clean
04-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Check this book out! I used it when working with two Spanish guys. We worked together on a crew for about a year. They would teach me Spanish and I would teach them English after that year I could speak Spanish very well. This book really helped me.

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Phrases-Landscaping-Professionals-Holben/dp/0965971716

How well can those 2 guys speak English now?

General Landscaping
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I'll take the other side of the fence here.

At some point, you guys are going to get tired of trying to swim upstream. Until the current stops, you're better off sitting on the shore.

When you choose to become bilingual; you have made yourself a more versatile person.
When one can speak both sides of the border, previously locked doors are now open. Would you rather your employees have these open doors, or yourself?

We are dealing with a largely disposable workforce here. When you find a keeper, then work on helping him break the language barrier so that he can become an even better employee.

Bottom line is, we need workers, English, Spanish, Spanglish..... it doesn't matter.... just get legal, show up daily, get the job done right, don't break anything, and don't tweak off the customers.

DBL
04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
just get legal, show up daily, get the job done right, don't break anything, and don't tweak off the customers.

:clapping: Perfect

RICHIE K
04-27-2007, 06:41 AM
I teach them english 99% of the time they know what to do already

Duekster
04-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Rosetta Stone is the way to go.

Wyboo
04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
yea rosetta stone is probably the best way but it is also not the cheapest. I did order the book spanish for landscapers that was suggested earlier. It should arrive next week.