PDA

View Full Version : perma-green ride on fert calibration, help needed.

richard coffman
04-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Howdy everyone,

i was running my perma-green ride on spreader the other day, and i'm having a problem with my calibration of my 32-5-7 lesco granular fert. it says to calibrate at #12 but that is for a regular lesco spreader. this machine has 2 foward speeds, one is the same speed as a fast walk and the other is a little faster. i figure i can use calibration of #12 for the fast walk speed, but i looked all through my owners manual and it doesn't help me much for calibration the 32-5-7 slow release for the 2nd speed or faster speed. does anyone else have this machine and are wiling to help a fellow fert guy out. i appreciate any info i can get. i've done this for 11 years and this is the first year of running this new machine. please help...... oh, if anyone is interested, 1 bag will treat 16,000 sq. ft.:walking:

thanks,
richard c.
mapleton, utah

Nathan Robinson
04-24-2007, 11:54 PM
magnum or ultra. they calibrate way different?!?!?!?!?

richard coffman
04-24-2007, 11:56 PM
it's a magnum model ride on spreader.
thanks,
richard c.

MStine315
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
I'd put it on the Lesco settings to start, then tweak it from there. So far, our Magnum is running pretty much dead on, per bag settings.

richard coffman
04-25-2007, 12:47 AM
there is a thought i had, let me know if this makes sence.
the magnum at low gear will do 1,000 sq.ft. in 28 seconds, if you put it in high, it will do 1,000 sq. ft. in 20 seconds. so in low gear, 2,000 sq.ft per minute, high gear 3,000 sq.ft per minute. ok, if i'm using a lesco brand 32-5-7 and the calibration # is 13. so to figure out what setting i need for example, take 2 divide by 13 is 6.5, take 13 plus 6.9 is 19.5 number setting if i'm doing 32-5-7 in high gear and doing 3,000 sq.ft per minute.ddoes this make since to anyone or am i lost in the dark? please correct me if warrented.

thanks,
richard c.:walking:

rider
04-25-2007, 12:57 AM
50 pounds of 32-5-7 at 16,000 is a little over 3 pounds of product per 1000sq ft.
Open up the hopper for 20 or 28 seconds, catch the fert and then weigh. when you hit a little over 3lbs you will have your numbers. just remember to write them down or you will have to recalibrate every year

Jason Rose
04-25-2007, 01:48 AM
I found, and was told, to open the hopper 1.5 to 2 more than the normal setting when you want to spread in high gear. No, this isn't scientific, and you need to really watch close to make sure you "feel" like you are applying the right amount. Iv'e done this on several large propertys and had good luck with this method.

Someone else told me that the easiest wat to check your output was to put say 5,000 sq ft. worth of fert in the hopper, in this case 15 pounds, and use a large property, measure out a 5K sq. ft. area and spread that. If you are short you need to cut your rate a little, if you have leftover in the hopper you need to open it up a touch.

I say this, because there's NO WAY to collect what's being spread in a bucket or a pan with the machine sitting still and the impeller spinning. Iv'e tried that, ended up with fert everywhere in my garage!

turf hokie
04-25-2007, 07:58 AM
I found, and was told, to open the hopper 1.5 to 2 more than the normal setting when you want to spread in high gear. No, this isn't scientific, and you need to really watch close to make sure you "feel" like you are applying the right amount. Iv'e done this on several large propertys and had good luck with this method.

Someone else told me that the easiest wat to check your output was to put say 5,000 sq ft. worth of fert in the hopper, in this case 15 pounds, and use a large property, measure out a 5K sq. ft. area and spread that. If you are short you need to cut your rate a little, if you have leftover in the hopper you need to open it up a touch.

I say this, because there's NO WAY to collect what's being spread in a bucket or a pan with the machine sitting still and the impeller spinning. Iv'e tried that, ended up with fert everywhere in my garage!

This is the method that we employ and it seems to work well for us.

LwnmwrMan22
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
OR, another way......

Measure the width of your pattern when the fert hits the ground.

It's hard to do, since if you do it on blacktop or concrete, the prills on the outside want to "fly" on you, but you'll have to somewhat estimate the outside edges.

Now, if I remember right, you'll travel 143' in 20 seconds in high gear with the magnum.

Your spread width, again, if I remember right, is approximately 14', or is supposed to be, so in 20 seconds you should cover 2000 sq ft.

If you're covering 16k with 50 lbs, that means that 1 lb covers 320 sq ft.

If you have a straight line, mark a starting point, then a stopping point 143' later. To cover your 2k sq ft, you'll need 6.25 lbs. Put that in the hopper, get a running start so your RPMs and speed are full, and open the hopper at the starting mark. You should be real close to empty at the end.

It also depends on how you spread as well.

I run a 10-0-20, 10% iron granular. I've got it on the Lesco setting at #16, and it's real close to 1/2 of my sq ft total. However, when I spread, I overlap back to the edge of the previous tire track, so I'm getting my extra coverage. On the first lap I make, I just leave the deflector down, so the extra is right there to begin with.

RigglePLC
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
You are on the right track Rich,
Use your time to cover 1000 sq ft. Then use a stopwatch. If you cover 1000 sqft in 20 seconds, then 16,000 sqft will take 320 seconds. That is 5.3 minutes, (5 min and 18 seconds). So you should take 5 minutes and 18 seconds to apply one bag. Go to a big lawn. Put in a whole bag, and time yourself. Adjust as needed. If it takes more than 5 min 18 seconds--you are too light--open it up more. If it takes less than 5 min 18 seconds--you are too heavy--reduce the opening.
Short on big lawns? Take your scales and use 25 pound batches. Or Use two lawns and add the seconds together.

One more thing. Let us know how you came out setting wise.

In my Ultra I figured about the same speed. I figured I needed to apply one bag of 19-0-5 Dimension in 4 minutes and 8 seconds. I set the rate at about 4.1--anybody else willing to share their settings?

sclawndr
04-25-2007, 08:07 PM
A lot of misinformation floating around this thread. Okay, here goes...

First, Lesco spreader settings are guidelines based on a normal walking speed - about 3.5 mph. Your setting should depend on how fast you walk, how long your stride is and how far part your passes are. You can set it right and still not get the correct amount of product out on the lawn if the passes are too close or too far apart.

Second, the PG goes 5mph in high gear. This means if you use the Lesco suggested settings, you will be light on the product unless you tighten up the passes.

Third, assuming your pass width is correct, the PG should be set slightly higher than the Lesco setting. On post mentioned 1.5 to 2 numbers higher, which is about right but again depends on prill size.

Fourth, field calibrate the PG. Add the square feet of the first few lawns together - 30,000 square feet for example - and calculate the amount of fert you should have used and compare it to the amount you actually put in the machine.

FERT-TEK
05-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Actually there is a easy way to catch and measure the product while calibrating.
1) Calculate the time needed to cover 1000 sq ft in each gear.
2) Fill the hopper with enough product to cover at least 1000 sq ft and park the machine on a large tarp
3) Raise the sides of the tarp high enough to cover the sides of the machine to catch the product dispensed. I use those metal binder clips for large reports to attach the tarp to the top edge of the hopper.
4) Run the machine at full throttle in neutral, at the recommended spreader setting for the recommended time.
3) Stop when the time is up and weigh the product dispersed.
4) This way you are not experimenting on a lawn and you can do several calibrations until the machine is dead on without any waste.

americanlawn
05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
This all seems a little too complicated for me.

Here's what I do:
Open the holes to about 55%. Try that, and after 2 lawns, you will immediately know whether to increase or reduce the setting.

At the end of the day, you will have fine-tuned the setting.

Keep in mind that shady areas will require less product. Sunny areas require more. Sunny edges of concrete require extra pre-emergent too.

Make it simple. Good luck.

thomsoutdoor
05-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I agree with americanlawn. I know how big my properties are and basically after doing the first property I know what adjustments to make. I find the lesco calibration Gage not to far off.

ThreeWide
05-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Try the attached file.

I've found this to be a good starting point.

RigglePLC
05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
You are on the right track Rich,
Use your time to cover 1000 sq ft. Then use a stopwatch. If you cover 1000 sqft in 20 seconds, then 16,000 sqft will take 320 seconds. That is 5.3 minutes, (5 min and 18 seconds). So you should take 5 minutes and 18 seconds to apply one bag. Go to a big lawn. Put in a whole bag, and time yourself. Adjust as needed. If it takes more than 5 min 18 seconds--you are too light--open it up more. If it takes less than 5 min 18 seconds--you are too heavy--reduce the opening.
Short on big lawns? Take your scales and use 25 pound batches. Or Use two lawns and add the seconds together.

One more thing. Let us know how you came out setting wise.

In my Ultra I figured about the same speed. I figured I needed to apply one bag of 19-0-5 Dimension in 4 minutes and 8 seconds. I set the rate at about 4.1--anybody else willing to share their settings?
This is so frustrating! I can never come out twice the same--never use one bag in 4 minutes and 18 seconds.

But now I have discovered tha there is usually a build up of dusty fert residue from the 19-0-6 Dim on the edges of the opening hole. When it is cleaned out competely--I have to set it at 3.0. Later in day the time to apply one bag gets longer--sometimes as much as 4 minutes and 30 or even 4 minutes and 50 seconds--that is too light. So I have to open it up more and more.:confused:

Today I looked at a very weedy lawn that I did last fall with PG Ultra. Dandelions were gone --except for a few straight line streaks of dandelions where I didn't cover it well last year. I don't do corkscrew.

And now a lady called and complained about green streak. You can't be perfect every time. :laugh: