PDA

View Full Version : Southern Snakes!!!

Runner
04-25-2007, 12:02 AM
I got a call from my girlfriends mom who lives in Leesburg Florida. Friday night, she had a snake in her house. Yesterday, she had a snake on her porch. The question is, what is the normal practice at keeping these snakes away? Is there some sort of perimeter spray that can be done that keeps them at bay? Is there some sort of scent repellent or irritant that is available? Please help.
Signed,
Snakeless in Seattle

Nathan Robinson
04-25-2007, 12:14 AM
at your local hardware fertilizer store there is an over the counter product called snake away. Not sure what the active ingredient is nor how affective it may be. Worth checking out though!

twj721
04-25-2007, 01:11 AM
get her a couple of cats or dogs

RAlmaroad
04-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Runner: Snakes down here can be downright dangerous. There's some really poisionous one in FL like the cottonmouth, though rare in a residential area. Cats have been a way of keeping them away IF it's a large cat. Another OLD WAY is moth ball spread around the shurbs or whereever they might hide. Do you happen to happen to know what kind is was? Or, the markings as she described and how long.

shaneb
04-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Sulphur is a repellent. I believe that is what is in Snake Away.

Runner
04-25-2007, 09:25 AM
She didn't say much about the markings. She did say that one had a green stripe. Thanks for the info so far. Is this Snake-Away a granular, or liquid? I'm thinking a granular or dust if it is sulfur. Is it readily available in Fla. stores? I would think so, as this is the type of region that it is mostly needed. we don't have stuff like that, up here. Other than the occasional "Michigan rattler", we don't have th poisonous and deadly snakes. We DO have the brown recluse spider, though. Right now, I have a friend whose leg is all purple, swollen up, and very sore. They have him on several strong antibiotics for it.
Thanks again for this info, and any other is greatly appreciated.

Duekster
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Red Yellow Black

Runner
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
I'll find out. I'll call her tonight, and atleast let her know about this Snake Away product. I just did a little research on it, and there are two different brands. One is "BioDefend", but the most common one seems to be "Dr. T's". At about 35 to 40 bucks for an 8 lb. container.

RAlmaroad
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Runner: If it is a green strip running the length of the snake--that a garder and of no threat. Flordia has some coral (deadly)snakes and another look alike. Coral snakes have RED and Black pattern with a RING OF YELLOW between the Red and the Black. On the other hand the Scarlet King Snake has similiar markings with large red marks with a small blackyellowblack pattern between the Red.
Of course there is the Green Mamba--I don't think they are in USA.
Tell her that a long handle shovel work on them quite well. Seriously--Be Careful.
we gave kits if bkacksnakes. The snake away stuff is granular and comes in a shaker box. She can buy it at almost any hardware.

MarcSmith
04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Red yellow kill a fellow.

don't forget about rattle snakes in FL and Cotton Mouths as well...Both types seen at least up to the Orlando Area(just south of Leesburg)

another key to ID poisonous snakes. Most poisonous snakes have eyes like cats.....But to tell that you need to get real close....