PDA

View Full Version : Aeratering

Kilman's
04-25-2007, 10:59 AM
how often should a aerater be used and does it help as much as some claim, :weightlifter: im asking because i have had customers to ask about it

Wells
04-25-2007, 11:14 AM
This was discused not to long ago, here is the thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=182027&page=2

dhardin53
04-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm no expert but i did sleep at a Holiday Inn. LOL

No from my experience aeration's will do may things to help a lawn and is normally done in the spring and the early fall. But the results may not be seen for many months or even till next year.

There is better water drainage/absorption. if using deep plug aerators there is a ground leveling effect, Beastly the plug lets air, water, nutrients get to the roots better and faster and relieves compacted soil in hard ground. Plus the earth worms will thrive in the lawn and thats a good thing as well.

DoetschOutdoor
04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
If it can be avoided, you do not want to aerate in the spring, especially if the lawn has ever had a problem with weeds. Aerating opens the lawn up and gives weeds a chance so I always adress other issues in the lawn and only aerate in the spring in certain conditions. I aerate all of my lawns every fall, overseed, and fertlize. I usually get about 30% new growth in that year and the the yard comes on REALLY full and fast in the spring.

JaysLawns
04-25-2007, 12:32 PM
thats not all true aerating is good in the spring and the fall.

mdvaden
04-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm a supporter of it, after seeing the results at the country clubs I worked at.

As well as from studying soils in college.

But for my customers, there is a piece of advice I offer each one, before they hire the service that posts ads in their areas each year....

DON'T hire them to do it, if you can punch a similar size hole in your lawn, and close it up by stepping on it ------it's too wet. It you can make a hole, step over it, and it stays open, then your money won't get wasted. That's how to time the project.

And I tell them to pay double and have the company go over it twice as much.

WJW Lawn
04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I've found aeration to be very beneficial to the health of turf.

Nathan Robinson
04-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Its like this. the State Chemists says you can aerate up to 10 times a year. Thats alot. If you want to aerate in Spring I WOULD! Alot of people say it breaks the pre-m wall, but the State Chemist says thats balderdash. I would aerate and aerate often. People do it more often in the fall because of the over seeding thats why people reccomend it then...

fiveoboy01
04-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Its like this. the State Chemists says you can aerate up to 10 times a year. Thats alot. If you want to aerate in Spring I WOULD! Alot of people say it breaks the pre-m wall, but the State Chemist says thats balderdash. I would aerate and aerate often. People do it more often in the fall because of the over seeding thats why people reccomend it then...

Would you happen to have a link to an article that you're citing in regards to the State Chemists?

BUCKEYE MOWING
04-25-2007, 05:34 PM
I believe in the twice a year aeration. Spring and Fall ...and going over most of the yards twice..IMHO

FCS Services
04-25-2007, 08:09 PM
core Aerating - 2nd best thing you can do for a lawn besides watering - IMO
Spring and/or fall, both if you have a lot of foot traffic - more if you have more

my $.02
frank

nwlandscaping
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
In my short time in this business, I've noticed what a huge impact aerating can have on a lawn.