PDA

View Full Version : picking berries

lawnboy82
08-05-2001, 04:07 PM
its about that time of year now when the blackberries and the blueberries, and some other fruits too start coming out. i have a couple of customers with apple trees, had one guy with peach trees, and pear trees, got people with blackberry bushes too. so my question to you guys is... when cutting grass, and a customer has fruit trees, or large bushes, do you pick fruit off to eat? i'm not talking about from vegetable gardens.

Guido
08-05-2001, 04:13 PM
to be welcomed by the customer for me to do that. And even then, no matter what they said to do, I would not go in for the harvest and bring a basket of apples home to the family. Unless of course the old hag lets them rot away anyway. I've noticed the blackberries getting good too. Seems like they've been at every worksite I had for the past couple of days.

Richard Martin
08-05-2001, 04:15 PM
I don't take <i><b>anything</i></b> from a customer's yard that doesn't belong to me without asking.

lawnboy82
08-05-2001, 04:30 PM
im not talking about going in and harvesting. i am talking about goin and just picking off the bush or tree and consuming on site. not goin home to the family. cause guys i used to work for. they would have customers with blackberry bushes on site, or apple trees. so when we either got to that area, or finished the lawn we would go feast on the fruit for a couple of minutes. nice break, and also keeps us refreshed.

Guido
08-05-2001, 04:47 PM
unless your just grabbing an apple on your way off the property, its unproffesional. I wouldn't stop to sit there and eat my customers fruit.

Just my opinion.

Dennis
08-05-2001, 05:12 PM
I've got a couple of yards with pear and apple trees...yes as I drive under them I will grab one and eat, sometimes it's all I get to eat. they have both told me I could have as many as I want.
Dennis

Just Turned Pro
08-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Think of it from the customer's point of view (assuming that they did not offer you the fruit)....

They are paying a professional to cut their lawn and then a neighbor tells them that they see you sitting around for xx minutes snacking on their fruit. You know how these things get exagerated and blown out of proportion.... next thing you know, you get canned because you were "just sitting around and snacking" when you were supposed to be working.

People complain enough about littles things already. I try not to give them anything else to complain about.

Mike (MLC)
08-05-2001, 07:00 PM
There are a couple of my customer's that have fruit tree's and at times have cherry tomato plants. I do eat the fruit every now and again while I'm mowing. But, this is only because the customer(s) have told me to go ahead if I felt like it. They don't mind if I do, so I take them up on their offer. I don't take bucket loads of it. If I don't have permission then I don't get it. You never know if they are watching or the neighbor. You don't want to make yourself look bad.

jeffyr
08-05-2001, 07:04 PM
I've eaten a cherry or two on a run by the tree, but that's it.:p

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
08-05-2001, 07:19 PM
Sometimes you'll bump into the branch, you can't let that good fruit go to waste! :angel:

Scag48
08-05-2001, 07:40 PM
Here's an idea, just go BUY some Washington grown apples. Make my day better. We need it. DO NOT BUY IMPORTED APPLES! It will only make things worse if you support the Japanese that are back stabbers. Never should have sent people there to help them out with the growing them apples. That is a true story by the way. Later guys.

smburgess
08-05-2001, 08:19 PM
Let's see.... taking someting that is not yours, without permission...Stealing?

- I don't do that from my clients. Maybe you draw the line at a berry or two, hope your client does the same, ---and YOU don't come to their mind when they can't find their rake, or garden hose, or...

crazygator
08-05-2001, 11:13 PM
Just make sure there is NO talking snake, and no woman named Eve offers the fruit to you! You know the story and what happened!!! LOL!

rdh
08-06-2001, 12:26 AM
i wouldnt take customers i have my own
apples
blackberrys i have picked coolers full already gave alot away to family.
i think its easer to pick with one of the coolaid pitchers with the handel on the side. to dump in cooler when full.also you can hang tweezers on the brim you will need them for faster picking

thelawnguy
08-06-2001, 04:19 PM
"I wouldn't stop to sit there and eat my customers fruit. '

Ill pick and eat on the run, only because I know that every one of my custoimers with fruit tells me to help myself anyways.

kutnkru
08-06-2001, 05:07 PM
I mentioned how much better fruit is to eat this time of year and thats what we stuff our coolers with in addition to H2O, and it was also mentioned How great it is to have free lunches for a while!

Ahh, the bennies of Fresh Fruit off the Vine - LOL!
Kris

awm
08-07-2001, 06:48 PM
around here you can just stop on the side of the rd an pick you a bucket.you alright unless some mamma was eyeing them for
a cobler then you just back away slowly ,then run like all get out.:D

MJ
08-07-2001, 09:18 PM
I'd agree with the consensus that it's ok if the owner has told you to help yourself. Otherwise, it might be a crop. Would you eat an apple or a few berries from the grocery store stock?