PDA

View Full Version : Orchardgrass?

n-green
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
A lot of the lawns I seeded last fall (including my own), have developed Orchardgrass. It must have been mixed into my Transition Blend. Does anyone have any experience controlling this stuff? I have a bunch of great looking lawns with clumps of light green standing an inch or two above the normal turf. Thanks!

Nathan Robinson
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!! the survey says "RIVERDALE CORSAIR" !
Its available at Lesco and at Deere! Its pretty good and it works well. Nathan

LawnJohn
04-25-2007, 04:51 PM
MSMA will do the trick...If it's warm and dry, add liquid iron to the mix to prevent phytotoxicity in the spots you spray.

You'll have to make multiple apps...Trust me....Orchardgrass is tough.

Since you have fescue (transition blend), I would refrain from using Corsair.

RobHawkins
05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I dug this old thread up doing a search.
Does anyone else agree or disagree with Corsair or MSMA for controlling Orchardgrass in Tall Fescue?
It came into my lawn with the straw I used to cover reseeded bare spots. Now I have it all over those areas.
Thanks.
Rob

ted putnam
05-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I just sprayed Corsair in some Fescue 2 weeks ago at the high rate.It's doing a wonderful job on it...in my customers bermuda lawn. I wouldn't recommend spraying orchardgrass with Corsair in any Fescue you wish to keep!

LawnJohn
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
You can also carefully spot spray with roundup.

If you seeded with fescue, the Orchardgrass was in the seed not the straw.

It's very common.

turfsolutions
05-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I posted a thread called please id this grassy weed last year. It was orchard grass. Nasty stuff I have on about 6 properties. I sprayed q4 on it 3-4 times and nothing. The post reply's recommended msma. 10 days ago I sprayed it on my first orchard grass infested lawn. Went back the other day and the tips were red which is a good sign. I will go back to retreat and take pics to post on my old thread. Trouble is that msma is not easily available. I believe trimec plus is an option.

RobHawkins
05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for posting that reply turfsolutions.
I have MSMA for the Dallisgrass in my Tall Fescue. Keep us posted on your results using MSMA on Orchardgrass.
My local Lesco/John Deere office suggested MSMA for Orchardgrass in Tall Fescue as well.
Rob