PDA

View Full Version : rookie question and new member

clc19chase
04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
hello all, somewhat new to installing new systems and wanting to buy a trencher. I have been teaming up with experienced installers trying to catch on to installing systems and I am trying to get prepared to do some myself without borrowing a trencher. I have used the EZ TRENCHER (with worn out teeth) and like the minimal cleanup but it is pretty labor intense if the soil or ground is bad. I see installers with ditch witch on their trailers but dont see many ez trenchers. If someone can give me some ideas on the good all around trencher and lead me in the direction of buying one it would be greatly appreciated. I am catching onto alot of info just from reading on here. some of the abbreviations I havent learned yet though. thank you!

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the site...don't listen to the burnouts w/big post numbers, they're
all liers! just kidding. We've used the Brown trenchers for years, narrow imprint, less backfilling, bars available for clay or rock...7" 9" 12", you can
put the mainline & wire deep & come over the top w/ 9" or 7". Good people
great service. No substitute for the big boys in bad soil, tho.brownmfgcorp.com

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Does anyone run a plow in your area?

Wet_Boots
04-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Vibratory plows cost more, and take more maintenance. But if you can stand the cost, and your soils allow you to use a plow, the investment will pay off, because you will work quicker and cleaner than the competition.

gusbuster
04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Since you're just starting out, but realize you need your own, why not buy used, whether it be a plow or trencher?

A good source for this is your local rental yards. Sometimes you can find a steal of a deal since they swap out equipment often.

As far as what to get, I'm of the mantra that it doesn't matter what you get, but whether you can get that machine repaired fast when needed. If everybody in your area trenches, there must be a reason. Then again, it doesn't hurt to use a plow as long as you're going to be able to get it repaired fast if needed.

clc19chase
04-25-2007, 07:08 PM
i might have seen a plow before and didnt know it was aplow. but a plow in AL is used for farming and food plots for hunting. any pics or websites that will tune me in on what a irrigation plow is would be helpful. thanks

Dirty Water
04-25-2007, 07:11 PM
http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Equipment/ProductFullSpecView/105

Basicly, no backfilling, minimal yard damage.

Just dig where the heads are.

CAPT Stream Rotar
04-25-2007, 07:17 PM
they cost about 18,000 new and are the best investment you have ever made..

Mike Leary
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
i might have seen a plow before and didnt know it was aplow. but a plow in AL is used for farming and food plots for hunting. any pics or websites that will tune me in on what a irrigation plow is would be helpful. thanks

Hmm, I had a feeling that would come up.

Tadams
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I only do about one or two systems a month-that side of the business is still growing. I can't justify buying a trencher yet so I just rent one but I always use a Dingo with a trencher attachment on it. That is the machine that I am most comfortable with and will probably buy one when the time comes.

I only know of one business that uses a plow around here. The soil is very hardpacked clay with some rocks in it so I don't know how a plow would do it. Would one work in this type of soil?

bicmudpuppy
04-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Find out if you can demo a plow attachment. I like DW's plow, even if your going to mount it on a toro platform, but Toro makes/brands a plow as well.