PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy Sod

PatriotLandscape
04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
We did a sod job last October and after an onsite meeting with the customer they asked why it felt lumpy. I'm not sure why but as you walk the lawn it indeed feels lumpy. we did roll the lawn before an after installation.

Any Ideas on how to flatten out the lawn?

the lumps are not big but you can feel them under your feet as you walk.

Nathan Robinson
04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I would try aeration a couple times. With new sod aeration is a must for good root growth!

SOMM
04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
what kind of sod was it?

sounds like fescue content bigtime.

cordon off,then overseed and irrigate after 5-10 lbs each - more fescue/bluegrass/ryegrass is broadcast.

you may want to power-rake and fertilize & lime prior all this.

regards.

PatriotLandscape
04-25-2007, 07:55 PM
it is 30% fescue and 70% kentucky.

Is there a reason? Does this happen a lot?

AGLA
04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Did you try lifting some of it to see if something underneath was the cause of the problem? One time I had sod go lumpy on me was when the homeowner had used his own "compost" which included chunk bark that was mixed in. Over the winter, the chunks worked their way to the top of the soil just under the sod.

Another time, someone rolled up the sod after it was partially rooted an either put down more soil or fixed something (I can't remember what) and then rolled it back out. Needless to say, that made it lumpy as well.

Voles would probably be showing prety obvious evidence, but I would not rule them out either.

Or does it seem like the sod itself is the problem?

By the way, I was going to introduce myself to you, or at least someone who I thought was you, at the CCLA meeting a couple of weeks ago. Pretty disappointing presenter, I thought. Anyway, I'll try to catch you next time.

PatriotLandscape
04-26-2007, 08:39 AM
It seems like the sod is the problem or the area directly underneath. We bought the soil from S&J and it looked like a good product.

How much damage do the Voles cause? I know he has them because I have talked to him about them before.

I was at the CCLA Meeting. That guy didn't seem to understand landscaping/contracting at all. I thought it was funny when he flipped around "it will be 5000" to "Your not going to believe this but we can install this for only 5000".

I can't see being able to say "Your not going to beleive this but we can install this for only 95,000". I'd get laughed out of the room.